Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Risen and Risen 2: Dark Waters Available on GOG

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: GOG; Piranha Bytes; Risen; Risen 2: Dark Waters

Taluntain will be happy to know that I'm posting about Piranha Bytes' Risen 1 and Risen 2: Dark Waters being available on GOG.com now! The first game in particular is pretty good; opinion on the second range from terrible to good for what it is, so buy at your own risk.

Risen 1 - What's cool about it:
  • Alter the destiny of the island by the actions you take.
  • Countless side quests and creatures to discover.
  • Over 60 hours of Immersive open world gameplay.
Overview:
A mysterious volcanic island. The heavy tremors on the island bode ill for its inhabitants. Ancient temples have risen from the ground recently, bizarre creatures are terrorizing the area. Fear and terror is spreading among the population.

Risen 2 - What's cool about it:
  • The Gold Edition includes: Risen 2: Dark Waters, and the following DLCs: Risen 2: Dark Waters - Treasure Isle, Risen 2: Dark Waters - A Pirate's Clothes, Risen 2: Dark Waters - Air Temple.
  • With an all-new pirate-based theme, Risen 2: Dark Waters aims to combine the most loved classic RPG gameplay mechanics of the original Risen with a fresh theme and setting on a huge variety of themed island locales.
  • A third-person role-playing game set in a dark and gritty universe, Risen 2: Dark Waters maintains the most immersive features of the original Risen, with multiple approaches to every challenge allowing players to shape the game world based on their own decisions. These choices will serve to unlock new paths, features and additional skills for the character.
  • Together with a highly interactive environment and a full day/night-cycle affecting countless aspects of the game world, Risen 2 will be set in the most immersive RPG game world so far.
Do give Risen 1 a try, at least, if not Risen 2.

Last edited by a moderator:

curry

Arcane

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Don't bother with R2. It's not horrible but it's definitely a major decline from R1.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think the first Risen was the last proper RPG I've played, back when I still had larger caches of free time. Pretty good game. Exploring that island and getting horribly murdered by too strong creatures from time to time was really fun.

Trojan_generic

Magister
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
The games are good for what they are, but old? I thought GOG had old games. Risen 2 came out 2012.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I think the first Risen was the last proper RPG I've played, back when I still had larger caches of free time. Pretty good game. Exploring that island and getting horribly murdered by too strong creatures from time to time was really fun.

Then you have at least one reason to look forward for Risen 3.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
Played Risen recently (was uber cheap on steam) and it's a good RPG if you like exploring and questing with factions. The end is a dungeon crawl though, which might drag if you have trouble in combat. I'd say you can't be wrong with Risen 1 - the first act basically sucks you in with all the quests and people to talk.

Deleted member 7219

Risen is a good RPG. The last section is decline, but you can say the same for most RPGs (Torment, Bloodlines, KOTOR2).

It has a great soundtrack too.

Risen 2... well... I can't say many positive things.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom