Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial RPG Codex Report: PAX East 2014

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Chris Roberts; PAX East; Star Citizen; Tim Schafer

Have you ever been to a gaming convention? You know, one of those events where gamers, cosplayers, and developers meet, and panels are held that no one really cares about? If you ever felt you might be missing out, don't: the Codex's most famous person with a disability, esteemed community member mindx2, has just recently returned from this year's PAX East (held on April 11-13), and is here to tell you why it proved to be a disappointment for him. Here's a Tim Schafer-related anecdote:

Then I noticed the sign behind the cashier stand stating that the one and only Tim Schafer would be there at 2:00. It was 1:45, and I had stumbled right into the head of the line to meet the man himself! I would be able to deliver my message of disappointment face to face, and bemoan the fact that he had failed to recapture the glory of Day of the Tentacle and Grim Fandango. Sure enough, about ten minutes later he was there, and I was climbing off my scooter to shake his hand. Granted, this was not going to be an in-depth conversation like I had with Chris Roberts. I would literally only have a minute to say whatever I had to say.

I walked up and explained that I had been tasked by the RPG Codex to report on my PAX experience, and he went “Who?”

“It’s a prestigious magazine/forum.” I said. He just stared blankly at me.

“We thought the game was too easy.”

He looked down at me, clearly not expecting criticism and said, “No it's not. You say that or they say that?”

“Well, the consensus was that that the puzzles were too easy,” I replied.

I will always remember his response to that. He said, “Tell them they're playing it wrong.”​

Read the full article: RPG Codex Report: PAX East 2014

Repressed Homosexual
Like someone said in the other thread, gamers are horrible creatures, to be avoided whenever you can.

“Well, the consensus was that that the puzzles were too easy,” I replied.

I will always remember his response to that. He said, “Tell them they're playing it wrong.”

And here is the real reason for the decline: the old designers are burned out and feel like streamlining is progress because it allows them to enjoy games in spite of their busy lives and declining willingness to deal with annoyances and genuinely don't see anything wrong, and the younger one grew with streamlined games.

Last edited:

set

Cipher
All gaming conventions are like this. Only social people (or desperate social rejects) go to these types of conventions, so naturally you won't find much of a PC crowd there (a group of self-described troglodytes and orcs). Games of any merit these days are open-source or so "independent" that they couldn't possibly afford a booth. Or, they're smart enough to realize their target audience isn't daft enough to waste their money going to a convention like this.

It's no surprise people over there have no idea what an RPG is nor what the "RPGCodex" is.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I don't think BA was bad because it was too easy (although it was part of it)

It was more about how short it was, what a terribly boring character Vella was, and the sheer feeling of "why the fuck should I care about all this" throughout her Chapter. It all felt so disjointed.

Playing Heroine Quest after BA really put things in perspective for me. BA is basically a dried up turd compared to that. :mad:

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't think BA was bad because it was too easy (although it was part of it)

It was more about how short it was, what a terribly boring character Vella was, and the sheer feeling of "why the fuck should I care about all this" throughout her Chapter. It all felt so disjointed.

Playing Heroine Quest after BA really put things in perspective for me. BA is basically a dried up turd compared to that. :mad:
Granted, I agree with that yet I literally only had a few moments to say anything. I wasn't even expecting him to be at PAX, let alone speak to him, and that was the first thing that sprang to mind as I walked up to him.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't think anyone should condemn Chris Roberts for using a gamepad. Sure it is not a joystick, but simulators are the one genre that play well by a controller, since it has analog input.

(Honestly tho, how DID you type out all that?)
Seriously, I'm also interested in this. And how do you play? It is quite an accomplishment.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
Great job mindx2. Hearing about Chris Roberts makes me want to get Star Citizen just for how cool he is.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There were, of course, plenty of cosplayers walking around in their homemade costumes, depicting characters from renowned classics such as FFVIII, MGS, My Little Pony, and Mass Effect, along with hundreds of wannabe Jedi, Lara Crofts (some women should not even try) and others from who-knows-what anime series

:lol:

Nice reading, although it looks like there wasn't anything new on PC which could be remotely interesting. At least I know that you can play game in the wrong way. Chris Roberts should make a LP of single player mode of Star Citizen. It will be something similar to Arcanum LP ;).

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

I will always remember his response to that. He said, “Tell them they're playing it wrong.”​
I'm very dissappinted in this response. I expect this from Bioware or an EA schill, but not from Tim. At least he could say that "yeah, we made the first one a little too easy, but Act 2 will have better puzzles".

FeelTheRads

Arcane
How in the hell can it be that if you find something easy it's because you're playing it wrong?

Unless.. of course... playing it wrong means playing it with your brain.

What a retarded reply.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I immediately recognized several people from the Broken Age video documentary produced by 2 Player Productions, and thought this would be a great opportunity to let them know how disappointed the RPG Codex was with their game.

:lol:

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
nice write-up man. too bad there wasn't much RPG stuff at the show.

Great write up. Such a shame about Schaefer but the Roberts seems very much like a good dude.
Though this again just solidifies my distaste for these events, too many people, too commercial and no real new or worthwhile information. Also mostly just full of uninteresting shit games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom