Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Interview with Josh Sawyer at Just Press Start

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: J.E. Sawyer; Obsidian Entertainment; Pillars of Eternity

Josh Sawyer recently gave a short interview for the gaming podcast website Just Press Start, on the topic of the upcoming Pillars of Eternity. It's only twenty minutes long, but the interviewer managed to fit in some decent questions about rules design, the creation of the Eternity setting, and more.

The most interesting part of the interview, in my opinion, is Josh's observation that "players are both dumber and smarter than you think they are". Dumber, because they don't always intuitively grasp the RPG tropes that veterans take for granted, and smarter, because when confronted with consistently challenging combat, they usually rise up to the task. I also appreciate his emphasis of the fact that, as an Obsidian game, Pillars of Eternity won't have any "cosmetic C&C" - every dialogue choice will have a mechanical impact.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
The most interesting part of the interview, in my opinion, is Josh's observation that "players are both dumber and smarter than you think they are". Dumber, because they don't always intuitively grasp the RPG tropes that veterans take for granted, and smarter, because when confronted with consistently challenging combat, they usually rise up to the task. I also appreciate his emphasis of the fact that, as an Obsidian game, Pillars of Eternity won't have any "cosmetic C&C" - every dialogue choice will have a mechanical impact.
I've heard of the version: "users are some of the most creative idiots you will meet" since they will figure out ways to break a game/application by doing things the developers never even thought about. Which is why it's important to have rigorous beta/stress testing done by people who are not overtly familiar with the application.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
and smarter, because when confronted with consistently challenging combat, they usually rise up to the task.

Well when you make combat that MCA can handle of course we'll be up to the task. We're not retards that die to the wolves in Arcanum.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
God I hope I can win fights with a diplomatic character IN combat.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom