Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Dead State Kickstarter Update #44: Early Access Update 3

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Dead State; DoubleBear Productions

Today, the Dead State "First Seven Days" Early Access build received its final update. The next updates after this one will open up a larger portion of the game, officially bringing it into beta. The accompanying Kickstarter update explains:

Today, we’ve updated the First Seven Days build for the last time. Before you panic (man, I hope you kept reading), what we mean is future updates will open up the build beyond the first week. Internally, we have been working on creating content, implementing progression, and refining or fixing systems. The system changes are reflected in the 7 Days build. Some of you have written to us (or shouted at us in all caps) about why we limited the build to 7 Days and the simple answer for why we didn’t open it up more is this: You would hate us. A lot.

What I mean is that a lot of testing and polish goes into “final” content before it’s ready to be released to the general gaming public. With a big game like Dead State, this is especially true. While there seems to be this prevailing idea that developers create games pretty quickly and then piece them out or sit on finished work until they see fit to distribute it, the truth is that much of this content is constantly in flux between the original idea to a basic first pass on the design to a kind of okay but buggy version and finally to a state where it feels like it belongs in a game you would actually want to play. Some of the content in the Early Access build is still unpolished, but many of the levels, encounters, and game events that you will eventually experience can be in an entirely too early state to release to the public. For example, a map without enemies… or loot… or exits. Encounters that may be too hard for the first week, might be way too easy 30 days in. NPCs will die… and then show up alive again in places they weren’t supposed to. It’s like watching a rough cut of a movie – the pacing isn’t quite right, you can still see the wires in stunt shots, and instead of CGI, there’s a guy holding up a mark to show the actors where the dinosaur will eventually be.

While there’s still a lot of work to do and some of the future content will still be rough around the edges when the time limit is lifted, rather than focus on two separate builds, we’re going to focus all our attention on our Beta progression build for the next update. This means a lot of pieces are being assembled as a whole for the first time and there are likely to be mechanical problems. But, we’re going to be taking a lot of time to get as much of it right for the next update as possible (design has mostly been focused on this for the last few weeks). It’s been something we’ve been planning to do, but we wanted to make sure that we took care of system priorities before we tackled the bulk of progression testing.

But more on progression next time. For now, please check out the new features in the current update – we’ve added tweaks to statuses and armor, AC/Resistance info on the equipment screen, a whole lot more thrown weapons, and many bug fixes. We would appreciate any feedback you have on the build. If you still want more info, you can keep up with the latest from design in our Monday Design update series on the forums. We are also able to answer your questions right on the Steam forum. As always, thanks for your continued patience and support.
I wonder what the psychos on the game's Steam forum will make of that.

EG

Nullified
Does anyone believe this game will come out in 2014?
Not particularly sure I even care if it does, aside from the fear that, if it does, it'll be relatively shallow.

Look forward to wasting a few hours cursing the lack of ability to attack diagonally, though. :avatard:

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
no

Not particularly sure I even care if it does, aside from the fear that, if it does, it'll be relatively shallow.

Look forward to wasting a few hours cursing the lack of ability to attack diagonally, though. :avatard:
two handed weapons can attack diagonally

sser

Arcane
Developer
Only if you get to play as a zombie.

Need more Stubbs in this world.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Thats not actually a bad mod idea for D:OS, start out as a normal adventurer, get infected by a zombie, and then slowly deteriorate until you become either a mindless zombie or find a cure.

1. Main quest would be to find the cure within a time limit;
2. Dialogue would change as infection spread and you become more desperate to find cure. This could be a cool concept for a morality system, i.e how far are you willing to go to save your own skin?
3. Stuff.

Havent tried the editor yet, but will check it out tonight to see if its easy enough to use for this purpose.

KevinV12000

Arcane
In my view this read as "game development is really mostly a hobby for us, we are nowhere near releasing any type of game, but we will continue to ask for patience and provide Steam updates to calm down the suckers who bought our non-existent product."

Really is quite disturbing. I would not have expected such silliness from these two.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

I will say this: if Age of Decadence comes out this year (remember, it's also supposed to enter "Public Beta" soon) then so can this.

imweasel

Nice game with a lot of potential, but it needs content. It would probably be a good idea to delay it until 2015.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Has Annie still got anything to do with this project?
Yes, she started posting more on the forum recently.
In my view this read as "game development is really mostly a hobby for us, we are nowhere near releasing any type of game, but we will continue to ask for patience and provide Steam updates to calm down the suckers who bought our non-existent product."

Really is quite disturbing. I would not have expected such silliness from these two.
I don't know how you get "game development is really mostly a hobby for us," out of "we're working 10+ hour days."

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera

you made me brofist roguey, dood. that's how lame your post was.

Tramboi

Prophet
Patron
I don't know how you get "game development is really mostly a hobby for us," out of "we're working 10+ hour days."
There might be an issue of efficiency. You don't make a game, even a RPG, with professionnal writers and amateur artists and programmers. Not saying this is the case, but it might be.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Do the Age of Decadence guys help with this game? After backing this and playing the early access for a while, I haven't actually followed the game. I remember being very excited when the KS campaign launched.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Do the Age of Decadence guys help with this game? After backing this and playing the early access for a while, I haven't actually followed the game. I remember being very excited when the KS campaign launched.

Yep, we do.
The I remember correctly and I am not imagining things, good.

Isn't it crippling both games? Sounds like a pain in the ass. How does this work for you guys?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Do the Age of Decadence guys help with this game?
Yes. Nick, Oscar, Ivan, and Mazin are working on it (I'm the only one who isn't). Nick's and Ivan's work on AoD is mostly done, so it doesn't affect our development much. Oscar juggles two heavy workloads but he likes stress because it helps him sleep.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Do the Age of Decadence guys help with this game?
Yes. Nick, Oscar, Ivan, and Mazin are working on it (I'm the only one who isn't). Nick's and Ivan's work on AoD is mostly done, so it doesn't affect our development much. Oscar juggles two heavy workloads but he likes stress because it helps him sleep.
Cool. Thanks for the response. Clears up a lot for me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom