Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Interview with Swen Vincke at PC Gamer

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Divinity: Original Sin; Larian Studios; Swen Vincke

With Divinity: Original Sin receiving rave reviews across the board, the folks at PC Gamer have done a short interview with Swen Vincke about the game's near-term future and patch timetable. There's also some discussion of its oldschool and, interestingly enough, multiplayer-centric design principles. Here's an excerpt:

PCG: What kind of things are you looking at in the big update?

Vincke: We basically have two types of things. We're doing hotfixes where we see problems that we can fix right away for people, and then the patch will contain some extra content. Balancing fixes. We'll introduce the AI personalities—that was one feature that didn't make it fully for release. [Right now] you only have no personality or random personality, which is rather clunky to play with, or the loyal personality which basically does everything you do. We will add five or six AI personalities, and they have distinct opinions about things, and so it's basically your partner. [And] people will be able to create their own personalities.

They make decisions based on certain type of personality, and it makes the game quite different, actually, because then it's really like playing with a human being, to a certain extent.

PCG: Can you go into a little more detail on the kind of personalities that you're shipping in the update?

Vincke: We'll have a knight. That's what you can imagine. Then we'll have a rascal, a maniac, a judge— somebody who's very judgmental—a priest, and a free-spirit, They basically all have different traits that they prefer.

If you put in, let's say, a judgmental character, who would for instance refuse to hire a companion, that's a very big impact on your game right there. If you role-play through that, that really changes your game. It's something that can happen in multiplayer also, right? It's basically what we're trying to do. This gives single-players the feeling of what you get in co-op multiplayer, when you deal with the actions of somebody else.

PCG: Did you guys have a sense of the right way for someone to try to play this game? Is it really designed for multiplayer or is it designed to be single-player and the multiplayer is just a bonus for people who want to make that commitment?

Vincke: It's been designed from the bottom-up with the multiplayer in mind, under the motto that the multiplayer will make the single-player stronger. That sounds strange, so allow me to explain that.

If you make enough RPG like this, in which the party can split up at any time, and each player can do whatever he wants, there is an enormous amount of contingencies that you have to put in place, or you have to come up with a very systemic system which is pretty much what we've done. You have to make sure that whatever storytelling you're trying to do it will work no matter what the players are going to do.

[...] When you're playing it in multiplayer you can be rest assured that becomes very unpredictable, what people are doing. A lot of the development effort was actually focused around that. I'm really happy that we've done it, because typically people always say it dumbs a game down, the fact that you have the multiplayer, and I think in our case it actually strengthens it.

We didn't talk about quests at some point anymore. We just talked about situations which occurred, that players could encounter, and there was no right or not wrong way of doing it. It was just something that happens on your journey. So my advice to anybody doing an RPG would be, "Make a multiplayer version out of it."

PCG: Are there plans for expansions or DLC or massive content updates?

Vincke: We are going to add a number of extra companions. There were planned to be more companions, but just the deadline and production realities, that's too hard to be able to include this, so that's going to come in August, the extra companions. They will be probably more fleshed-out than the ones that are in there now, so a lot of effort is being put into that.

Then beyond that, to be honest, I told you at the beginning of our conversation that this was “all-in,” so we didn't really make any concrete plans. We obviously have lots of ideas, but there are no concrete sense of what we're going to do, so we're going to finish this patch, do a couple of more hotfixes and then probably we're going to take a break, and then I think at that we're going to spend August figuring out where to next, with the RPG that we're going to be making. Then we will announce it with a lot of fanfare and so forth.​

So, those of you who were postponing your playthrough until the companions were complete should clear your schedules for August.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Vincke: It's been designed from the bottom-up with the multiplayer in mind, under the motto that the multiplayer will make the single-player stronger. That sounds strange, so allow me to explain that.

If you make enough RPG like this, in which the party can split up at any time, and each player can do whatever he wants, there is an enormous amount of contingencies that you have to put in place, or you have to come up with a very systemic system which is pretty much what we've done. You have to make sure that whatever storytelling you're trying to do it will work no matter what the players are going to do.

[...] When you're playing it in multiplayer you can be rest assured that becomes very unpredictable, what people are doing. A lot of the development effort was actually focused around that. I'm really happy that we've done it, because typically people always say it dumbs a game down, the fact that you have the multiplayer, and I think in our case it actually strengthens it.

That's wonderful. Emergent gameplay, motherfuckers!​

Perkel

Arcane
Sven should ask PCGAMER "how it feels that your site scored 94 Dragon Age 2 ?"

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Also, I just finished reading the entire article, holy SHIT is it me or does that interviewer have a bag of rocks for a brain?
It's like, he's reading questions from some mass produced list or something. Disgusting

Xeon

Augur
Did they say anything about the day&night cycle and weather and npcs schedules? I thought Swen said they might consider it if the game becomes successful.

We didn't talk about quests at some point anymore. We just talked about situations which occurred, that players could encounter, and there was no right or not wrong way of doing it. It was just something that happens on your journey. So my advice to anybody doing an RPG would be, "Make a multiplayer version out of it."
There are kinda still some quests that doesn't make sense or become broken if you do them out of a certain order. They'll will probably fix it or improve it later, Fallout did the same I think where you could do quests at any time in any certain order with multiple ways and it was a complete single player.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Also, I just finished reading the entire article, holy SHIT is it me or does that interviewer have a bag of rocks for a brain?
It's like, he's reading questions from some mass produced list or something. Disgusting
He's a vydya journo. What did you expect? professionalism? they still aren't past the glorified blogger status and are glad to boast it when held accountant.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
I can't believe this idiot was capable of making a game like this.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Is the UI customization? I would assume it is probably XMI or something like that.
On Larian's mod subforum, people in the know are saying the UI can't be modded.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
What's so bad about the UI?
That retarded chain thing instead of some box selection
No way to repair equipped gear / no repair all button
Can't pool gold on trade screen
Can't open multiple inventory screens at once / tiny inventory area
Can't target enemies using their portraits on the initiative order
Shitty character screen full of tabs and scrolling
No way to display more than one action bar
Crafting recipes are a mess / books you already read aren't marked

Some stuff is generally less annoying on co-op because multi player strengthens single player

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Chain thing is fine.
Fair enough, although that's a holdover from the DivDiv days.
Fair enough.
Fair enough.
Not a big issue.
Seems fine to me.
Not a big issue.
Yes, crafting is an abortion.

So, you're about 60% right which is above your normal average for grossly exaggerated gripes.

flabbyjack

Arcane
Divinity makes everything else (recent) look like shit by comparison.

A few tweaks to the inventory system would work wonders, but it looks like they're focusing on fixing game-crashing bugs. For me, the game locks up every 5th save or load, making save-scumming a non-option.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
What's so bad about the UI?
Can't open multiple inventory screens at once / tiny inventory area

Yes you can. Open one inventory then select another character and open that inventory. The second pane should be just underneath and you can drag it out to see both inventories.

Dumbfuck.
I know that, I am not talking about simply having multiple windows up but opening them at the same time

Dumbass

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom