Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Interview with Josh Sawyer and Brandon Adler at Rock Paper Shotgun, continued

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Brandon Adler; Darklands; Fallout: New Vegas; J.E. Sawyer; Obsidian Entertainment; Paradox Interactive; Pillars of Eternity

As part of the recent Pillars of Eternity publicity blitz, Josh Sawyer and Brandon Adler were interviewed by Rock Paper Shotgun. The RPS guys are fond of splitting their interviews in half, and so they waited until today to publish its second and final part. In this segment of the interview, Josh talks a bit about Fallout: New Vegas, but quickly returns to the topic of Pillars. Here's an excerpt:

RPS: Do you do anything similar in the design of Pillars of Eternity? Is there a way to make those Infinity Engine style rules work with the themes and story?

Sawyer: I think it’s harder in a game like this. So many of the mechanics are very D&D-ish.

Early on, and this isn’t going to happen now, we had some ideas that people might still be interested in. We use souls, your own and other peoples’, as a justification or a reason as to why powers work the way that they do. But ultimately, many of the ways that those powers work, mechanically, are locked into existing ideas. They’re not necessarily executed exactly how you’ve seen before but we are a little limited in how we can build our classes because we want them to be understood by a D&D audience. We can’t go too heavy on the souls.

So we don’t move too far away. A lot of people will come to this game and make one character that they use in all of these kind of games. A sneaky rogue or an intelligent wizard. If we don’t support that kind of class, or make it play radically different than what the player is used to, it can be frustrating. Because this is a nostalgia-driven game, I think it’s important that we meet that expectation.

But in terms of the setting and narrative, we try to make sure that a lot of the quests, plotpoints and issues that your companions have revolve around the same themes. People who have issues with their identity or their relationship with the gods, and thinking about how souls should be used. These plotpoints are all tied together so that you can see that the issues are real, practical and pressing in the world.

RPS: There’s a huge amount of text, even in what I’ve seen today, and the storytelling seems to be more important than necessarily inventing new playstyles. Is it fair to say that a lot of the team’s work has gone into making as many approaches as possible work in the game, both in terms of roleplaying and skillsets?

Sawyer: In the good old days we just kind of wrote dialogue, and added options, and sometimes they were good, sometimes they were bad and sometimes they were meaningless (laughs). Over time, those dialogues got refined and sometimes that was done in ways that were productive and good, eliminating bullshit options, and trash options that were just bad writing or bad places to go.

But with that refinement there was also a very tight streamlining, so in some games it got to the point where everything except the one good and one bad option was lost. That felt wrong to me. I wanted to write dialogue in a way that gives the players a sense that they’re allowed a good range of expression without falling into approaches that are just the expected ones in any given circumstance.

How do we also make those choices feel like they have weight within the context of the game’s systems and mechanics. That’s why we have the reputation systems and why we don’t have a dialogue skill, we trigger things off your attributes, class, background and race. That way we get a broader spectrum of activity. It’s not a question of ‘do you have the speech skill?’, it’s a question of what class are you, what choices have you made?

If you’re in a conversation, Might may be important because you can try to intimidate someone with a show of strength, or you might want to use Dexterity to pick a pocket. Maybe you want to psych someone out by using Resolve, which is kind of a replacement for charisma, but it’s more a case of personal drive and intensity. Or maybe you use Intellect for a logical deduction.

So instead of needing a Speech skill or Charisma for cool dialogue options, we make sure there are plenty for musclebound bruisers as well. It’s not about building ‘The Speech Character’, it’s about letting players create the character they want to play, and making sure that the game has plenty of options and reactivity for that character.
Josh also has a bit to say about Obsidian's work with Paradox Interactive, and about his beloved Darklands.

Dorateen

Arcane
There has been discussion about the use of stats or skills in dilogue checks, but I wonder what the spread is on other conditionals such as class and race. The more options that go beyond the attributes systems, the better characters can be defined by the player.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Sawyer: The land isn’t your land but the conflict is yours. You are at the centre of your own conflict. That means you are the most interested party. It’s like…I’m going to use a Speed reference here – Keanu Reeves doesn’t know anything about buses but he has to make sure that this particular bus keeps going and doesn’t explode! You’re in a circumstance like that.

Josh Sawyer explaining RPGs one Speed reference at a time.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Early on, and this isn’t going to happen now, we had some ideas that people might still be interested in. We use souls, your own and other peoples’, as a justification or a reason as to why powers work the way that they do. But ultimately, many of the ways that those powers work, mechanically, are locked into existing ideas. They’re not necessarily executed exactly how you’ve seen before but we are a little limited in how we can build our classes because we want them to be understood by a D&D audience. We can’t go too heavy on the souls.
Grognards are some of the stupidest fuckers on the planet.

4too

Arcane
The Brother From Another Planet

Straight Line for obnoxious Pun said:
Does that mean the game will lack soul?

Comin' to you on a dust road - Good loving' I got a truck load …

Behold from some where over the rainbow,
pe-cultures-580x318.jpg

the dynamic tension of the pow-ah of diversity!

And when you get it, you got something - so don't worry, 'cause I'm coming..

Bein' OLD SCHOOL on the Codex, I anticipate evoking the spirits of 'Sam And Dave' ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVx2i6jGzf8

Hu-aH! A P - O - E get down moment! ;)

4too

LarsWestergren

Educated
For those of us who are interested in RPG news rather than misogynerd seething, please do keep posting news from RPS and other sources.

crawlkill

Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!
Sawyer: In the good old days we just kind of wrote dialogue, and added options, and sometimes they were good, sometimes they were bad and sometimes they were meaningless (laughs).

This was what most stood out to me on my last BG/2 playthrough. So many dialogue options are there to affect how you feel about your character more than they are to affect events. That's cool, better than having no input on how you feel about your character (...why voiced protagonists are so irritating, I do not identify with the jerks voicing Shepard and Hawke), but it doesn't feel naturalistic. I hope (and am confident) that they'll do a good job on this, and just being able to articulate it is evidence that they will.

Dangersaurus

Novice
Am I reading this wrong or is he already bubble-wrapping his rep by blaming design decisions on nostalgia?

Dangersaurus

Novice
For those of us who are interested in RPG news rather than misogynerd seething, please do keep posting news from RPS and other sources.
I get a little annoyed by some of the blatant advertising there like the string of "Buy the Elite:Dangerous alpha so we don't have to" ad/articles. Still, half of their ads about games are usually also interesting, which is a pretty good ratio for Ex-PC Gamer staff.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom