Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Shadowrun Returns Kickstarter Update #75: Dragonfall DC details, release date is September 18th

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Harebrained Schemes; Shadowrun Returns; Shadowrun: Dragonfall

The latest Shadowrun Returns Kickstarter update has new details on the recently announced Shadowrun: Dragonfall Director's Cut version. Actually, it's more like an announcement that they're going to reveal more details in the coming weeks; it looks like Harebrained Schemes is putting more effort into marketing this thing this time around. The update does, however, come with a few screenshots demonstrating the Director's Cut's new features, which include a new armor system, new missions, and GORE! Check it out:

Hello from GenCon! As promised a couple weeks ago, we’re ready to tell you more about Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director’s Cut. In fact, Mitch and Jordan will be talking about the game at their Shadowrun “What’s Next” panel tomorrow at the Crowne Plaza. If you’re at GenCon, come check out the panel! You can also drop by Booth 2343 to chat more with members of the Harebrained team, play some Golem Arcana, or catch a sneak peek of the new Dragonfall trailer.

But if you’re not here at GenCon, don’t worry! We’ve got you covered. Here’s the scoop on the Director’s Cut:

Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director’s Cut will be released for Windows, OSX & Linux on September 18th, 2014 for $14.99. It will be available on Steam, GoG, and the Humble Store. And - in case you missed our previous update: as a continued “thank you” for your support, the Director’s Cut will be FREE to all Backers and owners of the original Dragonfall release.

To tell you more about what’s in the Director’s Cut, we’ll be posting a new developer diary each Thursday between now and launch, looking at a different aspect of what we’ve been working on.
  • Week 1 (8/21): Andrew McIntosh discusses the new missions and other kinds of content we’ve added to Dragonfall.
  • Week 2 (8/28): Jon Everist talks about his experience composing music for Dragonfall and expanding the game’s soundtrack for the Director’s Cut.
  • Week 3 (9/4): Trevor King-Yost explains the major improvements we’ve made to Dragonfall’s combat systems.
  • Week 4 (9/10): Mike McCain shows the new in-game interface and talks about how it makes combat more fun and intuitive.
In the meantime - here are a few teaser screenshots of the new stuff!

We’re really excited to share the Director’s Cut with all of you and to bring a whole new set of players into the world of Shadowrun. We believe that with all of the new content and improvements, and with your support, Dragonfall can be the definitive Shadowrun PC gaming experience.​

There's also a FAQ, which doesn't really contain any super-interesting information. It does reveal however, that contrary to what some people have assumed, there is no third Shadowrun Returns campaign currently in development. Too bad.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
It's really generous of them to give it out for free to original owners, especially considering how many AAA developers would laugh at the idea.

Cheers Harebrained Schemes ;)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
A dude in the comments seems to think the third screenshot with the fire is of Glory's "story quest". That would make sense as a new mission, as in the original only Dietrich gets his own mission.

Tigranes

Arcane
Will try when android version lands, I enjoyed playing the original SR but the gameplay was too shallow to warrant playing on a PC when I can do othe rthings.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Sounds great!
I hope they've upped the difficulty and allowed enemies to do more than one attack per turn. The combat system was nice but sadly not used to its full extent.

Ivan

Arcane
A dude in the comments seems to think the third screenshot with the fire is of Glory's "story quest". That would make sense as a new mission, as in the original only Dietrich gets his own mission.

Tis I. The buildup to the Glory quest was awesome, then the game just ends. Glad to see it's being rectified.

It may be a stretch, but note how there are only two cpcs in the screen. It's pretty suggestive. Also, it was supposed to take place in a barn or some such wooden structure.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I like the gory kill. Did they ever add that to Wasteland 2?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
That is so fucking awesome. Backers get this FREE. MASSIVE BRO FISTS to you HBS. :salute:

I never finished Dragonfall but I will now, with this version. <3

AND PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY DO A NEW CAMPAIGN (in the same vein of Dragonfall)!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
I like the gory kill. Did they ever add that to Wasteland 2?

WL2 has had a whole bunch of crazy death animations, gibs, decapitations, etc, for a while now. Although I don't know if it has this kind of SPRAY BLOOD ALL OVER THE PLACE-type stuff.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
nice, but somehow i doubt i'll be able to bring myself to replay it again just to see the new stuff. why couldn't they have released df in this form from the start?

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
^ This. The new interface's nice, still below average but a definite improvement over the original.

Shaewaroz

Arcane
Patron
In a hobo shack due to betting on neanderthal
I'm very into cock and ball torture
They're going to remove the original Dragonfall from sale altogether, so it's really no surprise that they give it to backers for free. Dragonfall was part of the original kickstarter deal since Berlin didn't make it into Shadowrun Returns. Otherwise if someone had backed the game but hadn't downloaded the original Dragonfall by the time of Director's Cut release, they wouldn't be able to play Dragonfall at all.

Harebrained Schemes said:
What will happen to the DLC version of Dragonfall?

Because they’re both same price, the DLC version will be removed from sale when the Director’s Cut is released. However, if you already own the DLC version, you’ll still be able to access it at any time through Shadowrun Returns. (We’re just removing it from sale, not from your existing library.)

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Isn't this standalone, too? So the KKK is just to buy this and skip the base Shittyruns?

Alfons

Prophet
Eh,this again.The ui looks nice I'll give em that.I didn't know however that you need a directors cut to have better ui.

Wizfall

Cipher
Despite enjoying the original campaign quite a lot, past the novelty, the cRPG aspects were a bit too simple for me to play Dragonfall right away.
But they have a great "engine" IMO with lot of room for improvements, especially concerning the combat system/characters'skills.
Dragonfall seems to have improved the original formula and i'm quite sure the director cut will improve it a bit more but i hope they could still enhance their engine after that.
I really wish HBS will make a third campaign, i believe this time they would be able to make more than an enjoyable game but a true gem.

About why they have not released Draginfall in this form from the start, what a stupid question.
Almost twice less time and more than twice less money than W2 and an editor on top of that....
What they have done with so "little" money but even more so time, is amazing.

Last edited:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What they have done with so "little" money but even more so time, is amazing.

Fucking this, the game is not stellar no, but it's fucking solid and Dragonfall ironed out a lot of the issues people had with the original campaign. Also there's an editor (but the mod scene is still pitifully tiny, let's hope the standalone DC edition of Dragonfall improves the situation there), and for being tablet & PC multiplatform the game is really good. Yeah sure, it suffers from some tablety design decisions but it still manages to be a solid PC RPG.

DramaticPopcorn

Um, do everyone who already own it get this standalone for free? I didn't bake it but I have it on steam

Saber-Scorpion

Learned
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
Isn't this standalone, too? So the KKK is just to buy this and skip the base Shittyruns?
Yeah, Dragonfall is better in pretty much every way.

But, if you like Dragonfall a lot and find yourself really wanting more Shadowrun, the original DMS campaign is okay. It's linear with little to no C&C, but the writing/dialogue is good, even when the story goes derp and tries to turn epic a little over halfway through. And although 90% of the fights are way too easy, the final battle of DMS was the most challenging one in either campaign, in my experience. I still enjoyed it.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I have a feeling they're going to stick vanilla in a Humble Bundle sooner or later but it's probably safe to grab Dragonfall.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
why couldn't they have released df in this form from the start?
Not enough money is usually the answer to this question.
all the backers got df for free and dms had a very lukewarm reception. did those 0.9 more points on metacritic make such a huge difference that they couldn't have just taken some extra time and make it proper on their first try?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
why couldn't they have released df in this form from the start?
Not enough money is usually the answer to this question.
all the backers got df for free and dms had a very lukewarm reception. did those 0.9 more points on metacritic make such a huge difference that they couldn't have just taken some extra time and make it proper on their first try?
They didn't have the money for it, so no.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom