Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Titan Quest eyeballings at GameSpy

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Titan Quest

There's a <A href="http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/untitled-iron-lore-rpg/644793p1.html">preview</a> of <a href="http://www.ironlore.com">Iron Lore</a>'s <i>Titan Quest</i> over at <a href="http://www.gamespy.com">GameSpy</a>. It covers things like pets, the graphics and scenary, the setting, and loot:
<br>
<blockquote>One great thing about Titan Quest is that what you see is what you get: if a monster comes at you wearing scale mail armor and a handaxe, when you kill him, his armor and axe will crash to the ground. You're never stuck in the situation where you're killing a bunch of guys in heavy plate armor but for some reason you're not allowed to pick any of it up. The graphics in Titan Quest are detailed enough that you can see what monsters are equipped with, although often you're too furiously trying to kill them to notice.</blockquote>
<br>
I've always liked CRPGs where the items you get are what the critter had on them. Of course, the problem with that is a player that's willing to garbage scowl for an hour will end up with way more money than he can spend.
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.ve3d.com">VoodooExtreme</A>

Surlent

Liturgist
One way to soft that impact is make the loot near worthless at shops like in the beginning of Icewind Dale: the land of thousand battle axes (although IWD didn't have every enemy dropping their loot). In late game all enemies drop magical stuff which sells, but in action rpgs you tend to mass horde of gold anyway.
By way of demonstration we were shown how a first level fireball skill can be visibly improved by upping your fire-magic skill, and then how it can be made even more useful by adding fragmentation at higher levels (the fireball split into several others on impact.)
Combat was riddled with surprises: for instance, if you torched a mummy with a fireball, his wrappings would burst into flame and melt from his body. The skeleton that remained would step backwards, look down at his exposed ribcage in shock, then resume coming after you. Angry spirits would sometimes drift out of monsters you'd kill in order to possess nearby statues.
Things like those add nice touch.

Ellester

Liturgist
I have to admit I am excited about the setting of this game, and would love to run around in its setting. But why does everything have to be single player action-rpg’s nowadays! :( Graphics look purty, though. Anyways, this game is worth a look.

Spazmo

Erudite
If I really cared about the lack of realism in monsters not dropping what they're carrying, I'd just say that most of the time, you ruin the armor or weapon by bashing it so much with your sword instead of just crapping dozens of useless plate mails on the player for no good reason.

EEVIAC

Erudite
Surlent said:
One way to soft that impact is make the loot near worthless at shops like in the beginning of Icewind Dale: the land of thousand battle axes (although IWD didn't have every enemy dropping their loot). In late game all enemies drop magical stuff which sells, but in action rpgs you tend to mass horde of gold anyway.

Or you could use FATE's fame stat, where more fame gives you extra skill points. The third item I fished out of the town lake was some crossbow worth over 300 000 gold. I spent most of the gold on the Bard because I couldn't find any items I could wield. Having a lvl 6 character with 40 points in attack magic that can do 11-234 points of damage with a lightning spell kind of ruined the game though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom