Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Torment Kickstarter Update #32: New website, new stretch goal, new lore details

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Brother None; Colin McComb; InXile Entertainment; Torment: Tides of Numenera

It's been over three months since we last heard from Torment: Tides of Numenera. Today, with the release of Wasteland 2 imminent, there are finally some new signs of life. This morning inXile announced the launch of a fancy new Torment backer portal, and a few hours ago, a new Kickstarter update came in with the details. Apparently, one of their goals with this new site is raising some additional money for a new stretch goal. I quote:

The Gullet Stretch Goal

With the relaunching of the site we're also looking at introducing some limited stretch goals. These will be for things for which we have not yet made the final call – content or features that will not happen in our current schedule, but that we hope to be able to add.

So we're pitching you – our funders – the Gullet, one of the areas from the Bloom. George Ziets did an amazing job on the Bloom design. We originally planned to cut a number of areas from that location but have been able to bring some back in, but in the current scope the Gullet is not a part of the Bloom's design. Here's George's description of the area:

Deep in the guts of the Bloom is a jumble of fleshy veins and cavities, known to natives as the Gullet. It surrounds a foul organic stew, containing the minds and memories of those devoured by the Bloom. The pulsing of a titanic heart reverberates from somewhere below… if you find yourself trapped here, the sound will drive you mad.

Few reach this place by intention. Most are eaten by a Maw and emerge in the Gullet, half-digested, to spend the final days of their lives in screaming agony. Transdimensional echoes of the Bloom's victims wander through the tunnels, lost and insane. Bizarre creatures, bred by the Bloom in its guts, burst from their wombs to hunt. Forgotten machines and artifacts lie half-submerged in Bloom-flesh, plucked from distant worlds of the past or future.

The only way out of the Gullet is down… to follow the sounds of the Bloom's beating heart and descend to a place where the Bloom's consciousness is at its most malignant and aware.

This area would add a ton to the Bloom, particularly as it provides more adventure-type gameplay and will better balance out its pacing. But currently we think we’re already stretching our team with the areas we’ve already committed to. With our limited stretch goals, we'll be looking to raise enough money to commit to adding the Gullet to the Bloom, by bolstering our environment art team to both make the Gullet and to benefit all other locations as well – remember that all pledges support the game development and reaching the Stretch Goal in reality gives far more than just the Gullet.

Of course, we have to make the call so that we can plan ahead, so our time is limited too: we're looking to raise our total amount raised to $4.75M by October 16th! If you’d like us to restore George Ziets’ Bloom design and fully implement it according to his original vision, consider spreading word of our continuing crowdfunding (or increasing your pledge) to help us reach this goal. All of your friends who missed the Kickstarter can still contribute to making the best Torment ever. (And while the new pledge options aren’t as favorable as those we gave you during the Kickstarter, they are better than after we’ve stopped crowdfunding and are onto preorders.)
The update also contains a massive new lore dump from Colin McComb. This one seems more directly related to the plot of the game, with information about the history of The Changing God, the creator of your character in Torment. It looks like this guy has had a lot more bodies than I thought.

Centuries ago, the Changing God met one of his children for the first time. This castoff, who claimed the status of the First Castoff, the eldest sibling of all his heirs, had been badly hurt in a struggle with the Sorrow, her skin utterly burned away. She wore a mask to conceal the damage, but her castoff regeneration was unequal to the task of restoring her. She sought answers from her sire, tracking him across the Ninth World to find him. She wanted to know why the Sorrow attacked her and the other castoffs, how they could stop it, and how she might earn a new body for herself.

The two of them were inseparable for a time as she awaited his aid in growing her a new body to replace the scarred wreckage of hers – they traveled together, seeking truths and long-buried secrets. But their alliance was shattered when at last she demanded that the Changing God stop deferring her; her body was beginning to decompose. Yet the Changing God refused to transfer her consciousness – he gave her a bottle of embalming fluid and told her to make do with the body she had. They fought, the confrontation teased out greater truths from her sire, and she realized that he had been hiding too much. Rather than share his secrets, he turned his back on her. She demanded his knowledge, and suddenly their personal struggle turned into a larger battle, each pulling their friends and allies into an ever-expanding conflagration.

Their feud created a schism in the castoff community. Dozens of castoffs flocked to both sides, coming to stand for the side they thought right. Some sided with the Changing God, believing that he had a plan to stop the Sorrow’s genocide, or from a loyalty to the man responsible for their creation. Some sided with the First, believing that she had their best interests at heart against a man who had proven himself time and again to be focused solely on himself.

[...] His purpose achieved and his opponent eliminated, the Changing God remained on his moon, above the fray, and returned to his researches. Yet despite the removal of the principals, the battle rages on, its contestants battling for ideologies of transparency, equality, and the common good on the First's side, and for duty, devotion, honor, and the hope of winning the Changing God’s trust on the other – the castoffs on the side of the Changing God do not want the First’s ideology dictating their lives. It is no longer merely a castoffs’ struggle. True, castoffs who are not directly involved in the Endless Battle provide funding to either side, or to both, in order to advance their own agendas – with centuries of knowledge behind them, with organizations of their own to tap, they have no shortage of funds. It is a place where warriors test their mettle, where mercenaries earn coin or renown, and where suppliers of food, flesh, and material can find a buyer of last resort. Though the commanders hold occasional parleys, there are too many here who are invested in seeing the war continue.​

That's right, there's an entire civilization of these castoff bodies. Also, note that the name of the malevolent entity formerly known as "The Angel of Entropy" has apparently been changed to "The Sorrow". That's good - sounds less like the name of a JRPG end boss.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
The Gullet sounds pretty cool.

I might be able to increase my pledge by a hundred or two by the given timelimit. I'm gullible like that... :happytrollboy:
But I'm not sure yet.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
The gullet sounds interesting but the whole "changing god" backstory sounds pretty good. I had been meaning to up my pledge to get a boxed copy and this sounds like a perfectly good excuse ;)

Chunkyman

Augur
Damn, if they I hope they keep that level of art and graphics quality consistent throughout the game. Absolutely beautiful, and significantly better than Wasteland 2.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Damn, if they I hope they keep that level of art and graphics quality consistent throughout the game. Absolutely beautiful, and significantly better than Wasteland 2.
wl2 sounded and looked good before we actually got to play it.

edit: it does look rather nice, though.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
RPG Codex Consensus:

"inXile is the true incline! Obsidian sucks!"

Wasteland 2 beta released - "Obsidian is the true incline! inXile sucks!"

Pillars of Eternity beta released - "inXile is the true incline! Obsidian sucks!"

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Yes but TTON uses PoE engine, and PoE looks good in play. So this should look just as good.
Those are in-game shots. Team's been working super hard the last couple months behind the scenes...

Last edited:

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
I kinda wish they kept the story completely unknown and unspoiled, we already know about the setting. Not knowing who the main character probably is is important. But oh well.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
RPG Codex Consensus:

Pillars of Eternity beta released - "inXile is the true incline! Obsidian sucks!"
it's not our fault everything sucks

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
RPG Codex Consensus:

My opinion has always been consistent.

crawlkill

Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!
Really love the Castoff's model in there. That low-backed cloak does things to me.

Is the Castoff a specific person with a specific face, like Nameless? Or can he vary in race and/or sex and/or appearance? I could live with it if I had to be that dude. That dude works for me.

Koschey

Arcane
crawlkill Specific person with a specific face, though with a choice between male and female.
Last_Castoff_Male.jpg
Last_Castoff_Female.jpg

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I kinda wish they kept the story completely unknown and unspoiled, we already know about the setting. Not knowing who the main character probably is is important. But oh well.
Just don't read the previews. And absolutely don't play any betas, that will certainly ruin your enjoyment of the finished game.

Unless you're honestly interested in the process of game development and not just the game itself, there is nothing to gain from reading previews and development logs.

Shannow

Waster of Time
RPG Codex Consensus [No such thing]:

"inXile is the true incline! Obsidian sucks!" [One video makes no incline though it gives hope that they could get the basics right.]

Wasteland 2 beta released - "Obsidian is the true incline! inXile sucks!" [Didn't follow the WL2 thread, but I'd be surprized if anybody but Roguey (and perhaps Duraframe and you?) expressed that opinion in exactly that way.]

Pillars of Eternity beta released - "inXile is the true incline! Obsidian sucks!"[OE has always been mediocre. Has nothing to do with inXile. And nobody expressed that opinion in that way. I know because I followed that thread.]
There. Made a less butthurt, more objective version of your post. No need to thank me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom