Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Matt Chat 261: Robert Woodhead on Wizardry

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Andrew C. Greenberg; Matt Barton; Robert J. Woodhead; Wizardry IV: The Return of Werdna; Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord

Continuing his trend of interviewing figures associated with Sir-Tech and the Wizardry series, Matt Barton recently began a new series of interviews with Wizardry co-creator Robert Woodhead. The first episode of the interview, which was broadcast last weekend, focused mainly on Robert's current activities as an anime importer, and thus was of little interest to the Codex. The latest episode, however, is more interesting.

In this episode, Robert retells the origin story of the first Wizardry, which was a combination of a Pascal game he created called Paladin, and a BASIC game by Andrew Greenberg, which was actually named Wizardry. According to Robert, and contra Robert Sirotek, both of them were equally vital to the game's success, with Robert in the role of programmer and engine developer, and Greenberg in the role of designer and content creator. No mention is made of the game's probable, ahem, inspirations on the PLATO network, however. There's also some interesting discussion of the technical challenges that the game faced, which inadvertently allowed it more time for testing, balancing and polish.

In the second half of the episode, Matt (somewhat awkwardly) tries to get Robert to talk about the dumbing down of modern games when compared to oldschool classics like Wizardry. Although Robert does admit at one memorable point that modern gamers are "pussies", he doesn't seem to think that it's a big deal overall. That discussion naturally leads to the topic of the notoriously difficult Wizardry IV, which Robert insists was "difficult, but fair". He says that making the game difficult was the right choice artistically, but concedes that it was a bad idea commercially.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Looks like Woodhead was just taking a piss, but then saw how serious Matt took the comment and felt really awkward...

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Yeah, me too. After catastrophe with Dung Lords he propably fall apart.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
TBH, I expected more from this interview. I am not much of a Wizardry fan, so I do not have any 'emotional attachment' to what is being dicussed, but I do enjoy tales of how games were made back in the day - and so far there was not much of this here. But maybe the best parts are still to come.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom