Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Underrail Dev Log #35: Portraits and Music

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Stygian Software; Underrail

In the latest Underrail development update, Styg offers us a glimpse of what he plans to add for the game's next version, which is all about new content:

Hey guys. I've put the game mechanics aside for now and we're all focused on churning out content for the following update.

In this update we will be rounding up almost entire game world outside of Church of Tchort and Deep Caverns. Player will be able to learn more about the Protectorate and Free Drones and the conflict between them. Optionally, player can decide to throw in their lot with either the freedom loving partisans or the imperialistic lawbringers. There's also another secret faction offerring more opportunity for those observant enough.

In other news, I finally took the time to fill some long outstanding holes in the presentation department.

Firstly, I hired an artist to do the portraits. There's lots of them to be drawn so don't expect them all to be finished in the next update. In the screenshot above you can see the portraits are lit in the same manner as the characters on the map. I find that this adds to the atmosphere, but this can be disabled in the options for those who disagree. Players can also make their own custom portraits and the game will offer them on character creation if they have been placed in the appropriate folder and are of appropriate format.

Secondly, it was time to expand the musical repertoire. With only four tracks covering the numerous and diverse locations of Underrail, the music tended to get quite repetitive. As with the portraits, don't expect us to be able to cover the entire game with new music immediately. The sample above is the music for the Foundry. Enjoy.

Finally, here's the obligatory list of minor stuff:
  • Nice things
    • Enemies will now threaten and taunt you in combat. Currently all have the same collection of phrases, but we plan to customize these in the future for different characters/factions/locations. We'll be looking for feedback on these - do the taunts occur too frequently/rarely, is there some particular taunt that is repeated too often, etc. Of course, for those who don't like this sort of stuff, it can be disabled in the options.
  • Fixes
    • Electrobolts will no longer jump to passive objects that are completely immune to them (e.g. destructible rocks)
    • You can no longer load individual bullets during combat as stated by the tooltip
    • Removed various leathers that were way too high quality for their type from certain stores
    • Burst fire will no longer trigger hostilities against secondary targets caught in the burst cone unless they actually take damage
    • Arena commentator will no longer order everyone in Core City to kill you if you happen to aim your burst in his general direction
  • Tweaks
    • Crawlers buffed and their AI has been slightly tweaked
Let me know what you thought of the new stuff, guys. Cheers.
Those portraits look sweet. And don't forget to check out the sample of the game's new music, too.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
How long until the game gets feature locked? I want to buy and play it already!

Achiman

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Dat screenshot tho...
Man look at it... LOOK AT IT. Who the fuck doesn't want to raid a subterranean dystopia and EXPLOIT the shit of the mechanics... Until (for me at least) you are a fucken godlike sewer ninja!
Going to be a sick day or 3 called in honour of this bad boy upon release.

skyst

Augur
I haven't touched this since pumping 20 hours into the initial steam early access release thing. I can't wait for it to be done!

agris

Arcane
Patron
I haven't touched this since pumping 20 hours into the initial steam early access release thing. I can't wait for it to be done!
yep, alpha 0.6xx feels a long time ago but the wait will be worth it. Reading Blaine's preview made the wait feel all the more justified (emitters? fuck yes).

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Yes. I've been patiently waiting and hoping and pining for the day when I could retire robotic dog in exchange for an Underrail portrait.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
prestyge.png

epeli

Arcane
A bit early for this but might as well get it out now.

Oh. Now we need Underrail avatars. That sexy, sexy portrait stares into my soul.
Yes. I've been patiently waiting and hoping and pining for the day when I could retire robotic dog in exchange for an Underrail portrait.
I've no clue who's in charge of adding avatar sets over here in the 'dex, but I'll be exporting the portraits from game files and recompressing them in PNG for web use as soon as the new version is publicly released, so I can help with that.

I am planning to do the same for all character sprites as well, but that takes more work I'm lazy. Also, their sizes vary and again I've no idea if you have any technical/style limits for avatar sizes.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I've no clue who's in charge of adding avatar sets over here in the 'dex, but I'll be exporting the portraits from game files and recompressing them in PNG for web use as soon as the new version is publicly released, so I can help with that.

Crooked Bee is in charge of those. Just ensure you follow the formatting guidelines, whatever they are. I've forgotten.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath

I am planning to do the same for all character sprites as well, but that takes more work I'm lazy. Also, their sizes vary and again I've no idea if you have any technical/style limits for avatar sizes.

Would have fisted.

:bro:

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
epeli As long as the exported portraits are at least 96x96 large, send 'em to me. I can do the rest of resizing etc. myself if necessary.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom