Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Divinity: Original Sin Kickstarter Update #65: New Patch + Larian Devline

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Divinity: Original Sin; Larian Studios; Swen Vincke

Divinity: Original Sin received an update today, and unexpectedly, a Kickstarter update to go along with it. The game still hasn't received the promised hardcore rebalancing patch, but there's still some good stuff here. But the true purpose of the Kickstarter update, I think, is Swen's announcement of the Larian Devline, a regularly occurring Twitch podcast where fans will be able to talk about what features they want to see in the future, not just in Original Sin but in Larian's unannounced next RPG as well. Check it out:

A new patch

We just released a big update for Divinity:Original Sin that includes over a 150 fixes. The full changelist is too big to list here, but you can find all the details on our forums. This update should fix a lot of the smaller lingering bugs and also address a number of balancing issues.

Join us on the Larian Devline Twitch podcast!

This Tuesday, November 4th, we’ll be trying something new by hosting a live Twitch podcast with our devs in which you can tell us what things you liked and didn’t like about Divinity:Original Sin, and what things you’d like to see us develop in the future.

We’ll obviously be watching the chat but we’d also like to discuss with some of you during the stream.

So, if you have strong thoughts about features in the game you think should be improved, let us know via devline@larian.com.

You don’t have to write an essay, a few lines explaining the core of your idea/criticism will suffice. We’ll then invite you to join us during the podcast via Skype.

The first Larian Devline podcast will be on our Twitch Channel on: November 4th, 2014 at 19:00 CET, 18:00GMT, 13:00 EST, 10:00PST

Further Development

Development is continuing with things like the Linux version and the hardcore mode still on our lists, but as we want to do this thoroughly, it will still take some time before we’re ready.

The Linux version especially suffered an extra delay as a result of our porting team having to fix a number of compatibility issues that popped up with the release of Yosemite. Whereas we initially hoped to get the Linux version done this year, it looks like it’ll be the beginning of next year now.

We know that’ll disappoint a few among you but bear in mind that we’re doing a real port just like we did with the Mac version.

Larian will also soon be looking for new employees for their next game, so now would be a good time for all you armchair (and non-armchair) developers to make a good impression!

Snozgobler

Educated
I'd prefer the "Devline" logo on a t-shirt to the general Larian logo... But that's probably just because I've worked in CS/community support for as long as I have.

Niektory

one of some
Patron
♫ fighting decline on the devline ♫

2EeCv.gif

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Off-topic and long time curiosity: Is Swen suffering from something or he's just overwhelmed with emotions? In all his videos I noticed that his body language is really fucked up.

clemens

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Off-topic and long time curiosity: Is Swen suffering from something or he's just overwhelmed with emotions? In all his videos I noticed that his body language is really fucked up.

Or maybe he's just not a professional actor, with a lot of other things to do, trying to do a 5 min non-scripted taped presentation in a foreign language ? :salute:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

Or maybe he's just not a professional actor, with a lot of other things to do, trying to do a 5 min non-scripted taped presentation in a foreign language ? :salute:

He should get better by now. Don't you think?

mbpopolano24

Arbiter

No, you are fucked up and horrible in judging nonverbal behavior. Swen is just himself, natural, talking without a script, showing normal emotions and movements. The impression is that he is friendly, approachable, sincere. How he should be. Not another trained monkey coached to stay immobile, show no emotion, and reading without thinking about the meaning of words.

In other words, and I am being both sincere and friendly here, shut the fuck up and pull out your head from that smelly hole of yours.

Korron

Cipher
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I just want a setting that has never been done, and for Larian to attempt a more mature storyline. If they use the same engine and do anything but fantasy, SciFi, or post-apoc I'll be a happy camper.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

No, you are fucked up and horrible in judging nonverbal behavior. Swen is just himself, natural, talking without a script, showing normal emotions and movements. The impression is that he is friendly, approachable, sincere. How he should be. Not another trained monkey coached to stay immobile, show no emotion, and reading without thinking about the meaning of words.

In other words, and I am being both sincere and friendly here, shut the fuck up and pull out your head from that smelly hole of yours.

Noticing is not judging. Dumbfuck.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'm fine with them using the Divinity setting but they have to apply the Dragon Commander principle that different time periods result in different visual styles.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I just want a setting that has never been done, and for Larian to attempt a more mature storyline. If they use the same engine and do anything but fantasy, SciFi, or post-apoc I'll be a happy camper.

So you want them to make MCA's High school simulator?

Korron

Cipher
Patron

Oh come on. Do I really need to clarify that it be within the realms of marketable?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA

Oh come on. Do I really need to clarify that it be within the realms of marketable?

Yes. Please explain to us this incredibly marketable setting they should use.

Korron

Cipher
Patron

Yes. Please explain to us this incredibly marketable setting they should use.

I certainly think it would need to be something fantastical, satisfy a desire for escapism, and is not in the realm of the mundane. Maybe there is a compelling story to be told in a HS setting, but I don't know if I could force myself to be interested even if a game with this setting received critical praise. I suspect that sentiment would be shared by many RPG players. I'm burned out with the same settings I've played over the past decade or so. European fantasy games using the dark eye or larian fantasy settings are probably more egregious than most RPGs as far as not being particularly divergent from the bullshit D&D high fantasy pulp fiction I subjected myself to as a teenager. I largely clicked through the dialogue in DOS as fast as I could. Can you honestly tell me you're not tired of the same stuff over and over again? I'm not going to presume to say my ideas are best, but a few ideas I find appealing off the top of my head for a setting?

Western
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
Prehistoric (Jurassic or Pleistocene)
Any fantasy setting that doesn't use goblins, orcs, & elves, and isn't based on previously established fairy tales or lore
17th Century Piracy

I freely acknowledge I can't quantify the "cool" factor of any particular setting, but can you really tell me a HS setting would be more appealing than any of the above mentioned? Was there really a post-apocalyptic setting before fallout in the CRPG realm? Was there really a planescape setting in the CRPG realm before PST? Both of those games receive critical praise now, and I suspect there is interest in something new. I admit I'm speculating, but are you really content with the same as it always was approach that these KS backed games are taking now that we've proven there is a sustainable audience to appease? That being said, isn't the persona series fairly popular and in a HS setting? So maybe I'm full of shit.

Last edited:

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Western
Any fantasy setting that doesn't use goblins, orcs, & elves, and isn't based on previously established fairy tales or lore
17th Century Piracy
You only missed SciFi and you'd have listed all the plan B settings the industry has after fantasy is discarded.

Give me Gilgamesh, Spanish Reconquista, Arabian Nights, 1980s, Planescape, anything out of China Mieville's Bas-Lag, Hyperion's demon, a Gaiman tale, something from a Rick & Morty episode, but not fucking pirates, steampunk or western again.

Even Friendship is Magic has better plots and arcs than your late RPGs FFS.

Last edited:

Korron

Cipher
Patron
Western
17th Century Piracy
You only missed SciFi and you'd have listed all the plan B settings the industry has after fantasy is discarded.

Give me Gilgamesh, Spanish Reconquista, Arabian Nights, 1980s, Planescape, anything out of China Mieville's Bas-Lag, Hyperion's demon, something from a Rick & Morty episode, but not fucking pirates, steampunk or western again.

All of those sound awesome to me too. What games are you talking about for pirates or westerns though? I'm not aware of any rpgs that have done it well at least.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom