Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review RPGDot needs tissues after playing Dungeon Siege II

Spazmo

Erudite
Tags: Dungeon Siege 2; Gas Powered Games

<a href="http://www.rpgdot.com">RPGDot</a> have posted a <a href=http://www.rpgdot.com/index.php?hsaction=10053&ID=1159&sid=a0e8289b7cd9acdcccf19a0ba9d4f9e1>gushing review</a> of Dungeon Siege II, rating it <b>9/10</b> and calling it a "classic sequel" (psst, guys, "classic" isn't one of those words you can randomly insert into hype).<blockquote> The first impressions that came to my mind when I began playing Dungeon Siege II were both a sense of appreciation for Gas Powered Games' incomparable Chris Taylor (who showed - to me, at least - that he really does listen to what people want in his games), and a sense of gratitude that the finished game was even better than its preceding demo (of which I also highly enjoyed). Now I will give concessions here to those of you that may be "Die-Hard Diablo II" buffs - Dungeon Siege II, while still classified as a "Hack-n-Slash" RPG and still emulating to some varied degree the Blizzard classic, simply is in a class by itself - meaning that it is highly unlikely that DS2 will win any new converts from the ranks of those same "Die-Hard" Diablo 2 buffs any more than its predecessors did, though I can foresee that the ranks of the "Dungeon Siege buffs" will grow considerably.</blockquote>

Twinfalls

Erudite
"...you can't go wrong making the investment and adding Dungeon Siege II to your gaming inventory - I know I thoroughly enjoyed playing this game, and I am sure you will too!!"

- is how the review ends. That's some bad, bad PR-type lingo going on there.

Section8

Cipher
Meh, it was a fun little dungeon crawler, nothing to get all gooey about.

I think he's been on those Peter North Protein Power Pills. There's a lot of goo being spilled in that review.

Dhruin

Liturgist
It's not that good but it's better than I expected, to be honest.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Dhruin said:
It's not that good but it's better than I expected, to be honest.

You should write more reviews, Dhruin. Kristophe and Corwin are both way too gay to review games.

Honestly, as oversimplified as the character system is in the game, I don't see how it could score a 9/10 - especially on an RPG site when it's not scoring that high on the main stream sites.

Dhruin

Liturgist
Yes, well, diversity makes the world go around. I take too long to finish games and replay some bits, plus everyone seems to want to do reviews, so frankly I'd rather go do some interviews or something that might give players some new info on a game. I was going to review Dungeon Lords but I just couldn't finish the piece of crap.

LlamaGod

Cipher
That's a good trait for a reviewer.

Rushed retard reviews suck.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Dhruin said:
Yes, well, diversity makes the world go around. I take too long to finish games and replay some bits, plus everyone seems to want to do reviews, so frankly I'd rather go do some interviews or something that might give players some new info on a game. I was going to review Dungeon Lords but I just couldn't finish the piece of crap.
I'm not sure you have to finish games to review them, really. Just insert a blurb in there saying "This game was SO DAMNED AWFUL, I couldn't finish it. I tried and tried and tried, but my pain threshold was just too low to deal with this steaming pile of twice digested cow crap." If the game is really that bad that you can't bring yourself to finish it, then that's a good point in a review.

Second Chance

Liturgist
DS2 is worse than DS1. The multiplayer totally sucks. I think I have posted about this some 3428763894 times

Whipporowill

Erudite
Second Chance said:
DS2 is worse than DS1. The multiplayer totally sucks. I think I have posted about this some 3428763894 times

From what I understand that is mainly due to the lack of an mp map - which DS1 had an excellent variant of. 'tis a shame, really - but considering GPG released 2 full maps on release last time, and a full extra sp campaign later on, I'd not give up on it quite yet. I mainly played ds1 mp and ds2 has been all sp...

... another issue that seems to be crippling ds2 mp, is the damned Gamespy vault system.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
The only issue I have with DS2 is the fact that multiplayer is pretty much unplayable due to the GameSpy issues. All that stuff about being hack-proof and using character vaults is bollocks, too. The character vault works but it's incredibly easy to hack your character. You can do it just by pausing the game.

DS2 is way better than DS1. I just play it single player or on LAN.

Second Chance

Liturgist
Whipporowill said:
Second Chance said:

From what I understand that is mainly due to the lack of an mp map - which DS1 had an excellent variant of. 'tis a shame, really - but considering GPG released 2 full maps on release last time, and a full extra sp campaign later on, I'd not give up on it quite yet. I mainly played ds1 mp and ds2 has been all sp...

... another issue that seems to be crippling ds2 mp, is the damned Gamespy vault system.

Exactly!!!! At last someone that agrees with me about the only decent thing on DS1 :)

DS1 had a very nice MP map. On DS2 every time you want to start a MP game you have to start all over again from the beginning.

I will reinstall DS2 _when_ and _if_ GPG releases a good mp map.

If someone'd convert the Utranean Peninsula map to DS2... hmmmmmm... I'd be sold!

Sol Invictus

Erudite
You don't have to start over from the beginning in DS2. You can have multiple saves and load from any one of htem.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom