Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Bioware Interview

Ibbz

Augur
Tags: BioWare; Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

The <a href="http://www.xbox.com/ca/">official Canadian site for Microsoft's XBOX</a> has done an <a href="http://www.xbox.com/ca/better_on_xbox/betteronexbox-1a.htm?det=1">interview</a> with the founders of <a href="http://www.bioware.com">Bioware</a>, Dr. Ray Muzyka and Dr. Greg Zeschuk. They discuss various things, ranging from the XBOX itself, to Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic which will be released on the XBOX {as well as the PC}. Here's a piece.....
<br>
<blockquote>
<br>
Xbox Canada: What's the secret to being a great developer?
<br>
<br>
Ray: Our employees at BioWare are smart, creative, hard-working and passionate about what they do. They love video games and are continually challenging themselves to outdo the last games they worked on – each game here needs to be better than the last.
<br>
</blockquote>
<br>
Spotted at <a href="http://www.ve3d.com">VE3D</a>.

Deathy

Liturgist
Haha.

"Each game here has to be better than the last."

The really funny part about that is that Baldur's Gate, although trash, is better than NWN.

Xerophyte

Educated
The dark netherworld of dutch Gouda cheese
Blessed cheese, let me count the ways in which I eat thee!

"Needs to be"? I wonder what happens when they fail? Public lashing? End of world as we know it?

Ah, well . . . with NWN behind them as their most recent product, their goal isn't exactly unreachable.

Xerophyte

Educated
The dark netherworld of dutch Gouda cheese
I have no doubt that Bioware have potential. Baldur's Gate was a rather amusing tactical cRPG and MDK2 a worthy sequel to Shiny's old gem. But, in my everso humble and unassuming opinion, Baldur's Gate 2 was a mostly tedious experience and NWN just plain bad.

However, since the majority of gamers sadly disagree with this obviously superior (and humble, oh yes) opinion, I must make up for my lack of numbers by the frequency of my nagging :)

Anonymous

The only good game Bioware have made was MDK2, and that's because it was a sequel. All they had to do was not fuck it up. Any of their forays into "original" games have been pretty fucking miserable, and from what I can tell, a downhill slide since Baldur's Gate.

Rosh

Erudite
Anonymous said:
The only good game Bioware have made was MDK2, and that's because it was a sequel. All they had to do was not fuck it up. Any of their forays into "original" games have been pretty fucking miserable, and from what I can tell, a downhill slide since Baldur's Gate.

If it's any consolation to BioWare, BIS did make a game crappier than Baldur's Gate and NWN.

It's called "Asswind Dale", a lot of hot wind about "role-playing" in an arctic setting. At it's release, it was competing with Diablo II, and while Diablo II was the more fun, AWD got some support from the AD&D (and ADHD) fanboys.

The more time goes on, it seems that Planescape: Torment is one hell of a fluke for BIS given the mediocrity of their work in general and the bugfest of Fallout 2. PS:T was the only truly halfway original Inbred Engine game out there. Then with BioWare, I'll agree that all they had to do with MDK2 was not screw it up. At that point, you couldn't trust the overpriced chimps at Shiny to do that. 8)

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Ibbz said:
Xbox Canada: What's the secret to being a great developer?

Ray: Our employees at BioWare are smart, creative, hard-working and passionate about what they do. They love video games and are continually challenging themselves to outdo the last games they worked on – each game here needs to be better than the last.

The correct answer, "Just keep making mass market crap, have a publisher willing to hype it all to hell, lie about features and gameplay, and pray the game buying public is dumb enough to fall for it all."

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I figured that's why you picked it. Quotes like that are just too easy to make fun of.

Slobbering Interviewer: DUDE! WHY DO YOU RULE SO MUCH?!

Overrated Game Developer: We do great stuff, man! That's why! We pour all our coolness in to a compiler and sell it to the public!

Yeah.. That always makes for a good interview.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom