Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Serpent in the Staglands Beta 2.0 Released

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Serpent in the Staglands; Whalenought Studios

I received an email from Whalenought Studios today announcing the release of the awaited Beta 2.0 version of Serpent in the Staglands. Here's the content of the email, sans download links:

Good evening Spicers!

Serpent in the Staglands Beta 2.0 is available for your perusal, links provided below.

For the initial 2.0 build we’d like to hear your thoughts on the new interface and UI, which you'll be able to explore with some streamlined saving systems and map/interaction interfaces. A seemingly countless number of things in combat were also tweaked, with a lot more coming.

Most importantly, Grade 2 spells and skills have been implemented, and we have set up a fighting arena where you'll choose a low or mid-level pre-made party and have the opportunity to experiment with new spells and skills against a variety of enemies. This is mainly used for stress testing and seeing if any of the skills/spells break anything, so as of now the encounters aren't terribly balanced or optimized, but we'll be experimenting to improve the challenge for those. Right now they are about as chaotic as encounters will get, so bear that in mind.

Patch notes available here.

A few things to note:

Version 2 will require you to start fresh, but going forward will eventually be patched with the entire game. We'll be adding in areas periodically, and patch notes will have those details.

While we took a giant leap forward in the overhaul of polishing these systems we took a few backwards as far as some quests, dialogue, and map visuals have dislodged themselves from our new efforts (especially in these early beta-accessible maps). It’s a matter of us just finding them and putting them back in place, but it may cause some issues on your end.

Over the next week we’ll be patching this build with these necessary updates, so if you’d like to wait to really dive in until then you may have a smoother experience. We have about fifty tweaks ranging from big to small (like some text fields not large enough for the new font) that we'll be implementing, so we'll give the all-clear when our list is depleted and the maps can be explored again as intended. We’ll be updating the patch notes forum page accordingly, so you can subscribe to that if you’re inclined to know when that will be.

Load times got a little longer as we optimized in-map performance issues as well, and this will be addressed soon with some of the early patches.

We’ll be sending an early 2.0 (hopefully 2.3 or 2.4 from what we have planned to fix) to journalists and YouTube previewers who have shown interest, so we’d like to hear any of your thoughts prior to that.
You can read more about Beta 2.0's interface improvements and Grade 2 spells and skills over at the game's Steam community page, with all the pixel art animated GIFs you've come to expect. There was also an interview with the Whalenought duo recently at a podcast called Fragments of Silicon, though I'm afraid it's a bit inaudible.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Oh man I kind of liked the rave party icons circling the characters.

Anyways, I have probably 10 hours in the pre-2.0 beta and I think it's shaping up to be a very enjoyable RPG (provided you don't hate RTwP).

kain611

Augur
I find it is very challenging and punishes a lot of things you could get away with in Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale. Every battle pretty much has to be planned for and orchestrated.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I really want to play this but pre-release versions of RPGs are no-gos to me because I don't want to spoil the finished game.

Good to know it's coming along well though!

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
The last version of the beta I got a link to from Whalenought (through The Codex inbox) was 1.4 . Does anyone know where to get the newest one?

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ah, it is okay, it seems I missed an important information from earlier. My bad.

Beta 1.4 (...) includes a patching system, which while we visually haven't completed, will allow you to download updates when they are available. This does require an internet connection, obviously, and if works correctly should make this the last email we send main builds out with. New updates and content going forward prior to the release of the game will be through these patches.

Whalenought_Joe

Whalenought Studios
Developer
You were supposed to get an email. Whalenought_Joe
I never got an email from them. I was backing throught The Codex and received my beta links through Codex inbox - up to 1.4, and then no more.

The patching system we ended up using was a bit subpar, but is working much more smoothly now. If you want to PM me your email we'll add you to the patching email list if we ever need it again, and send you 2.0. Sorry about that.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
The patching system we ended up using was a bit subpar, but is working much more smoothly now. If you want to PM me your email we'll add you to the patching email list if we ever need it again, and send you 2.0. Sorry about that.
I missed the info, so no need to be sorry. I will contact you, if I will not be able to get the patching system to work. Thanks. :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom