Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Italian Torment Interview: Colin McComb on Torment's Narrative

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Colin McComb; InXile Entertainment; Torment: Tides of Numenera

Nearly a year after the previous one, Dr Schultz has posted a new entry in his irregular series of interviews with the Torment: Tides of Numenera development team, over at the official Italian language Torment blog. This time, it's an interview with Colin McComb, focusing on the topic of the game's narrative. Naturally, he can't reveal much, so the interview is not very long, but there are a few interesting tidbits here:

You’ve stated before that you’ve chosen the Numenera license mostly because of its setting, but as far as I know Torment’s story takes place in uncharted territories. I mean, parts of the Ninth World not covered in the Corebook. Why? And is there any chance we are going see parts of the Steadfast/Beyond in TON?

You won’t see any places from the Corebook, but some will be referenced. We didn’t want to risk conflicting with anything Monte Cook Games had planned in the Steadfast; as a younger setting, it still needs to establish some meta-campaign narrative. The Corebook was still being worked on when we began planning Torment, so we all thought it would be better if we built out beyond the Beyond and we could integrate the two areas later.

I’m under the impression that the Endless Battle is going to play a huge role in Torment’s story. Can you tell us a little more about this conflict? Additionally - given the fact that ToN is a game about legacies - is it safe to assume that the player will be able to influence the outcome of the war?

It’s funny that you should ask about that, because the Endless Battle came up in story meetings just recently. At the risk of handing out spoilers: It does play an important role in the game, both symbolically and narratively. Born out of an argument between the Changing God and the First Castoff, it has become essentially a feature of the landscape over the last several centuries. Much like the everlasting storm of Catatumbo, it’s almost a force of nature by this point. Think of the trenches and craters of World War I, and then add time distortions, gravity fields, sentient machines, and nightmare creatures released from other dimensions, and you’ll start to get an idea what it’s like.

At this point, the two sides are at a stalemate, but they push and prod for incremental advantage. Victory isn’t in sight for either side, but neither are they willing to admit defeat – they are fighting for ideological principles now, for their reputations, for some other reason – and so, despite the First being dead and the Changing God not involved in the fight, the Endless Battle continues.

It is not safe to assume that you will be able to influence the outcome of the war. On the other hand, I don’t know that you should assume you can’t.

Our readers are always eager to learn new details about Torment Companions. Can you tell us something we don’t already know about one or two of them?

Our cold, calculating jack’s name is Matkina. Her original conception was the stainless steel jack, a nod to Harry Harrison’s “Stainless Steel Rat”, and her character arc originated there. It’s changed significantly since then, but the deadly confidence, careful thought, and occasional impulsiveness colored her initial narrative portrait.

Bonus question: after the astonishing success of TTON you are confirmed as Creative Lead of the third Torment game, set in a different universe and powered by a new ruleset . The choice is entirely up to you. What will this universe/ruleset be?

We’ve loved working with Monte Cook Games, and they’ve been a fantastic business partner, but since you’ve said a different universe/different rules…

Do I get to keep working with the same team? Because if we’re together again, I think in this imagined future we’ll take a swing at inventing our own world and our own rules. Given that I’ve created and developed a number of different worlds now, and given that Adam is doing great things with the rules, and given that George and Kevin are brilliant, I don’t see any reason we wouldn’t create our own world completely under our own control. Why, we could blow up the world and no one could stop us!

Uh, hypothetically speaking, of course…
There sure are lots of Torment interviews these days. I wonder if inXile are building up hype towards something?

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
InXile should definitely try creating their own world. Especially now when they've got Ziets.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014

At this point, the two sides are at a stalemate, but they push and prod for incremental advantage. Victory isn’t in sight for either side, but neither are they willing to admit defeat – they are fighting for ideological principles now, for their reputations, for some other reason​

so, it's the blood war

At this point, the two sides are at a stalemate, but they push and prod for incremental advantage. Victory isn’t in sight for either side, but neither are they willing to admit defeat – they are fighting for ideological principles now, for their reputations, for some other reason​

so, it's the blood war

My thoughts exactly. And Cold Jack sound a little like Annah. I have a bad feeling for some time now, that too many pieces will look to similar to the original Torment.

kazgar

Arcane

so, it's the blood war

I was going to say its gamergate, but that works too.

hiver

It only took you... what, a few months to get that?

You continue like that codex and one day even an IQ of 25 will be in sight.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I will be disappointed if The Last Castoff does not get personally involved in the Endless Battle, but I believe it is safe to assume that he/she will.

The difference between EB in TTON and Blood War in PST is that Blood War was a background event that tied into the original game's narrative, but could not be affected in any way, because the overall D&D universe status quo could not be changed. EB has been created specifically for TToN and writers can do whatever they want with it.

ksaun

Arcane
Developer
Tags: Colin McComb; InXile Entertainment; Torment: Tides of Numenera
There sure are lots of Torment interviews these days. I wonder if inXile are building up hype towards something?

It's really just coincidence. (We have a pretty slow turnaround time on interview requests in general.)

Regarding possible speculation about hyping the Alpha Systems Tests: goodness, no. Those serve practical purposes and by their nature could even generate anti-hype. The first one is a little ways off still due to other priorities, but when it does occur (and later ones), they'll be a quiet thing, not something we want to draw attention to. (What we're doing with them is a bit unusual (i.e., it's not like the Alphas that people may have played through Steam Early Access, for example) and no matter how we message it, I'm sure some will be expecting things that they are not.)

They won't be secret, but neither will we be building them up as anything special.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Aww.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom