Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Space Hack GOOOOOOOOOLD

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Space Hack

I forgot to post this yesterday, and since no one else posted it, <A href="http://www.meridian4.com/games/SpaceHack/index.html">Space Hack</a> has gone GOLD. Here's the release:
<br>
<blockquote><b>Space Hack Goes Gold!</b>
<br>
<br>
Montreal, Canada. September 29, 2005 - Interactive software publisher, Meridian4 and game developer, Rebelmind are pleased to announce that their upcoming Sci-Fi Action/RPG, Space Hack has gone Gold. Space Hack is scheduled for release to retail stores November 15th, 2005
<br>
<br>
“We are very pleased with the North American version of Space Hack. The game was very successful in Europe and we know that with its highly addictive gameplay, it will do very well over here.” said Andrew Sher, CEO at Meridian4, “We are looking forward to its online and retail release in the coming months.”
<br>
<br>
<b>About Space Hack</b>
<br>
<br>
Space Hack is a sci-fi Action/RPG title in real-time 3D graphics. The story puts gamers on a colony transport ship that suddenly gets trapped inside a Black Nebula, but that’s only their first problem. While trapped, they get boarded by aliens that take over the ship and begin to kill and eat the colonists.
<br>
<br>
Playing the role of a tough, gristled ex-military man, gamers will struggle to reach an emergency transport module at the far end of the ship to free the remaining colonists, hacking and slashing their way through hordes of alien creatures along the way.
<br>
<ul><li>Approximately 80-100 hours of gameplay.
<br>
<li>45 levels with Earth-like environments, futuristic interiors, post-catastrophic locations, deserts and frozen lands.
<br>
<li>Over 80 different alien creatures from 3 unique breeds.
<br>
<li>40 different weapons including a variety of melee and shooting weapons.
<br>
<li>13 hi-tech items including holograms, mind control, teleportation, invisibility…
<br>
<li>45 bio chips allowing gamers to enhance their hero.
<br>
<li>Diverse paths of character development - smash your way through problems, become quick and elusive or gain advantage with sophisticated technology.
<br>
<li>Amazing real-time 3D graphics with 360 degree panoramic views and spectacular special effects.
<br>
<li>Atmospheric industrial ambient music and sound.</ul>Space Hack will be available on <b>November 15th, 2005</b> in all major retail stores at <b>$19.99USD</b> and is rated Teen by the ESRB. The game is currently available for trial on <a href="http://www.meridian4.com">www.meridian4.com</a>.</blockquote>
<br>
The <a href="http://www.excalibur-publishing.com/maxxv/setupMaximusXVDemo.zip">demo</a> was kind of neat and the price is about what I'd expect to pay considering the lack of multiplayer.
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.bluesnews.com">Blue's News</A>

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Space Hack said:
45 levels with Earth-like environments, futuristic interiors, post-catastrophic locations, deserts and frozen lands.
What's the point of setting it in space if you're going to have land areas? Then again, why the hell would a colony ship have deserts in its bio-spheres?

What's with the roman armour too? A futuristic space game with swords and shields. Right.

Space Hack said:
Space Hack will be available on <b>November 15th, 2005</b> in all major retail stores at <b>$19.99USD</b> and is rated Teen by the ESRB.
That's not bad actually. Pity about the teen rating though.

LlamaGod

Cipher
Isnt this that Abraham Maximus XVIIIXIXIBII: Electric Boogaloo game?

Second Chance

Liturgist
When I try to download the free trial, it directs me to a page saying:

"We're sorry. Our Systems indicate you are outside the territory authorized for distribution by the software publisher of this title.

Unfortunately, we do not have permissions from the publisher to sell this title outside of our approved territory."

Way to go! New selling system for shareware games: "You're not american? Sorry, then you can't download this" :lol:

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Second Chance said:
When I try to download the free trial, it directs me to a page saying:

"We're sorry. Our Systems indicate you are outside the territory authorized for distribution by the software publisher of this title.

Unfortunately, we do not have permissions from the publisher to sell this title outside of our approved territory."

Way to go! New selling system for shareware games: "You're not american? Sorry, then you can't download this" :lol:

Well, that was my bad. I didn't know Excalibur limited their downloads to just Europe when I linked to the demo. The meridian4.com link in the release is one click away from the demo as well.

DarkUnderlord said:
What's the point of setting it in space if you're going to have land areas? Then again, why the hell would a colony ship have deserts in its bio-spheres?

Because metal tiles get boring after a while.. See Harbinger.

A colony ship would have desert bio-spheres to transport desert type plants and animals since Earth like planets tend to have deserts. Dur!

Shagnak

Shagadelic
I played the demo of this a very long time ago. It's amazing that it is taking so long to get published in all the different territories.

It was okay (you'll know exactly what to expect)...yet another game that could have been vastly improved by MP mode.

truekaiser

Scholar
looks odd though if copyright was not a issue i think the name, diablo:2250 would fit better.

spacemoose

Erudite
If I ever get my shit together and try to make a game, I'll be using a colony ship setting.

The backstory is this: the ship transports not grown humans, but blastocysts, with the idea being that once the ship gets close enough to its destination, the blastocysts are allowed to develop to maturity.

So they don't know shit about who they are or where they came from. The machines are supposed to take care of them and educate them. But it doesn't work! The 'colonists' break what equipment they can, and escape like monkeys into the core of the ship, which is a simulation of an earth ecosystem. Think garden of Rama. So they revert to caveman level culture. There are several tribes, each with their own agenda, and there is also a group that is trying to understand the workings of the ship and what is really going on. The game itself would focus on the powerstruggle between several factions over control of the ship.

I'm going to make millions.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Kamaz said:
And about that roman-style armour and swords? What explanation do you have for that? They are cosmic larpers, arent they?

Chalk it up to the style of the setting. It's like the reviewers bitching about Serenity having western style dialogue, dress and weapons or Fallout using vacuum tube tech in the 22nd century.

Second Chance

Liturgist
I actually enjoyed Harbinger for quite awhile -- until I found out that drops didn't have random stats. When you get the same weapon with the same stats 4 or 5 times, it gets a bit annoying.

LlamaGod

Cipher
So they don't know shit about who they are or where they came from. The machines are supposed to take care of them and educate them. But it doesn't work! The 'colonists' break what equipment they can, and escape like monkeys into the core of the ship, which is a simulation of an earth ecosystem. Think garden of Rama. So they revert to caveman level culture. There are several tribes, each with their own agenda, and there is also a group that is trying to understand the workings of the ship and what is really going on. The game itself would focus on the powerstruggle between several factions over control of the ship.

this is exactly the plot of Geneforge 1

spacemoose

Erudite
LlamaGod said:
this is exactly the plot of Geneforge 1

Except that in geneforge, you play one of the powerful shapers. In this game, you're a 'caveman' like everyone else. Plus there would be awesome laser guns (eventually).

There is no faction like the shapers at all. There are a ton of other differences, but that goes into the details which I don't want to do right now. The atmosphere I'll be aiming for will be sort of like Albion.

The big similarities are that the factions in both games are competing with each other, and are 'low tech' with high tech possibilities around them. In other words, the plot is that of rivalry, in this case between factions. And rivalry is one of 20 Master Plots you could fit any story to.

What I'm trying to say is, all stories have been written already. Any new ones are only variations on a theme. The trick is making the reader, or player get so engrossed in the story that he doesnt realize that he has seen this story before many times.

Honestly, I was not thinking about geneforge when I came up with the idea for this game, I was thinking of a short story I once read in Russian. I think it was 'Orphans of the Sky ' by Heinlein.

Give me any game/book, and if I've played or read it, I can classify it into one of the 20 Master Plots

In any case, I'm not planning to start this anytime soon so debating about a nonexistant game is sort of pointless.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I think that in Europe the game has been selling badly, as I got it with a magazine iirc half a year ago already.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom