Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Dungeon Lords teaches life lessons!

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Dungeon Lords; DW Bradley; Heuristic Park Inc.

<A href="http://www.gamerdad.com/">GamerDad</a> has a rather quirky <A href="http://www.gamerdad.com/detail.cfm?itemID=2612">article</a> about <A href="Http://www.dungeonlordsgame.com">Dungeon Lords</a> and the lasting impact it had on one of their staff members. Here's a bit of something close to the beginning:
<br>
<blockquote>He was getting frantic. So I talked to him, and asked him what he was doing. When he told me, I asked ‘would you rather have a poorly made and unfinished but ‘done' comic book when you r brother comes home, or an excellent comic still in progress that you can work on together'. He knew what I was talking about – I had mentioned that phrase many times in reference to an ‘open letter' I had sent to the developers and publishers of the game.
<br>
<br>
"That game hurt your feelings, didn't it Dad?"
<br>
<br>
"Yes, I guess it did" </blockquote>
<br>
There you have it, <b>D.W. Bradley</b> makes games that leave deep emotional scars.
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.ve3d.com">VoodooExtreme</A>

truekaiser

Scholar
i see alot of that with oblivion and just about any other major games in the works..

Sol Invictus

Erudite
i see alot of that with oblivion and just about any other major games in the works..
You see a lot of people mailing developers of unreleased games to tell them that their game hurt their feelings?

What emotional scars has Oblivion given to anyone? It's not even out yet.

truekaiser

Scholar
Sol Invictus said:
You see a lot of people mailing developers of unreleased games to tell them that their game hurt their feelings?

no over hyping and delivering only a fraction of what they promise.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
I don't know if you've played the piece of dreck known as Dung Lords, but I doubt the situation with Oblivion and "any other major games in the works" is anywhere near comparable.

Micmu

Magister
If there is a patch with all the fixes for Dungeon Lords out there, it must be bigger than the original game itself...

Twinfalls

Erudite
Hey Shagnak - where's your list of shit games?

You must surely have 'Trespasser' in there - one of the most heavily bashed, yet enjoyable (often unintentionally) gems ever...

Mech

Cipher
truekaiser said:
Sol Invictus said:

Way to go off topic. :roll:
Geez, some people will do anything to bring Oblivion into a thread that isn't even about it.

truekaiser

Scholar
Mech said:
truekaiser said:
Sol Invictus said:

Way to go off topic. :roll:
Geez, some people will do anything to bring Oblivion into a thread that isn't even about it.

i was useing it as a example not as a way to hijack the thread.

theverybigslayer

Liturgist
Shagnak said:
I don't know if you've played the piece of dreck known as Dung Lords, but I doubt the situation with Oblivion and "any other major games in the works" is anywhere near comparable.

I have played four times Dungeon Lords. The terrible thing is : Dungeon Lords is the best crpg of 2005 so far. Like it or not. The situation with Oblivion and any other major games in the works : they will more suck than Dungeon Lords, I assure you.

One Wolf

Scholar
theverybigslayer said:
Dungeon Lords is the best crpg of 2005 so far. Like it or not. The situation with Oblivion and any other major games in the works : they will more suck than Dungeon Lords, I assure you.

please, PLEASE stop smoking so much crack. if you actually believe DL was the best CRPG of 2005, proceed with sterilization and make a better world for future generations.

my god, i feel like exterminating all life after reading that comment. i wish i could vomit directly into your mouth.

if you know of anything that sucks more than DL, then the end is nigh. a black hole on the earth's surface will surely drag in the entire galaxy.

Crazy Tuvok

Liturgist
One Wolf said:
theverybigslayer said:
Dungeon Lords is the best crpg of 2005 so far. Like it or not. The situation with Oblivion and any other major games in the works : they will more suck than Dungeon Lords, I assure you.

please, PLEASE stop smoking so much crack. if you actually believe DL was the best CRPG of 2005, proceed with sterilization and make a better world for future generations.

my god, i feel like exterminating all life after reading that comment. i wish i could vomit directly into your mouth.

if you know of anything that sucks more than DL, then the end is nigh. a black hole on the earth's surface will surely drag in the entire galaxy.

I'm not following. So is Dungeon Lords a good game or not?

One Wolf

Scholar
Dungeon Lords is FUCKED. i have never played a game so totally fucked. i could attempt to describe the many facets of its sucktitude, but my hands would fall off. let me just name a few:

the manual has typos, some of which list abilities for classes that don't actually get them.

half (i'm not kidding) of the spells are just not included. half! one magic type has about 5 spells total. who the fuck knows why this happened.

playing over the internet is kinda like playing russian roulette, except you find yourself wishing you were dead regardless of the outcome. occasionally you might actually manage to connect to someone, but you can never tell how long you've got before the lag kicks in. not just a little lag. game ending lag.

the largest town in the entire game consists of about 8 NPCs. and hell, they didn't even bother to include furniture in the houses (no chairs, no tables, every building is just bare).

there is NO npc interaction aside from the quests (which only add classes to your char). NONE.

several necassary quests (actually all the quests you get are necessary, there is not even one sidequest in the entire game) are bugged so you just can't complete the game unless you reload old saves far enough back and you light candles and pray to god for forgiveness and write a thank you letter to your grandmother for your birthday present and donate all your organs to needy children with leukemia and swear never to masterbate again ever and become a memeber of the capuchin monks. and then only maybe you get to move on.

even the motherfuckin BOX lies. explore many different types of "terrain" "snow covered mountians" and "caves". actually no. there are none of these. at all.

i could keep going for like forever, but i find myself getting so pissed that i have to go shoot a massive amount of dope or else track down DW Bradley and put screws under his fingernails while tearing his teeth out with a pair of vice-grips.

i hope Heuristic Park is sentenced to the lowest level of the inferno.

Twinfalls

Erudite
Stop being so ambiguous. If you really don't like the game, just COME OUT AND SAY IT.

LlamaGod

Cipher

You would probably commit suicide if you've read most of his stuff..

Such as the 'Dungeon Lords showed me that turn-based games suck' thingy.

The best thing about Dungeon Lords is that you must equip the ring to beat the last boss, for serious.

theverybigslayer

Liturgist
Crazy Tuvok said:
I'm not following. So is Dungeon Lords a good game or not?
Wrong question.
There is no better in this year so far for me. I am waiting for Oblivion. But I have no high hopes, I remember the total boredom of Morrowind.

theverybigslayer

Liturgist
LlamaGod said:
[Such as the 'Dungeon Lords showed me that turn-based games suck' thingy.
I said that because the action combat system in Dungeon Lords is very good. But you can't see it because you are very busy looking for the tables in the houses.

theverybigslayer

Liturgist
One Wolf said:
[if you know of anything that sucks more than DL, then the end is nigh. a black hole on the earth's surface will surely drag in the entire galaxy.

The games suck more in this year:
Fable (ALERT! console shit!)
Sudeki (ALERT! console shit!)
Dungeon Siege 2 (newest screensaver)
Metalheart (no comment)
X-men legends 2 (ALERT! console shit!)
Bards Tale (ALERT! console shit!)
Kotor 2 (boring)
and many many more

LlamaGod

Cipher
(ALERT! console shit!)

Nevermind the fact that Dungeon Lords was being created with an Xbox port in mind.

X-Men Legends 2 kicks the shit out of it.

theverybigslayer

Liturgist
LlamaGod said:
(ALERT! console shit!)

Nevermind the fact that Dungeon Lords was being created with an Xbox port in mind.

But Dungeon Lords is a pc game like Oblivion, not a console shit.
You know what I mean when I say console shit. For example you have to collect xp points from the ground after killing a monster.

One more year and you will be playing Super Mario as rpg. Congratulation! I hope Jeff Vogel won't read your comment about x-men.

bryce777

Erudite
theverybigslayer said:
LlamaGod said:
(ALERT! console shit!)

But Dungeon Lords is a pc game like Oblivion, not a console shit.
You know what I mean when I say console shit. For example you have to collect xp points from the ground after killing a monster.

One more year and you will be playing Super Mario as rpg. Congratulation! I hope Jeff Vogel won't read your comment about x-men.

Collect experience from the ground? that is pretty funny.

theverybigslayer

Liturgist
When you kill a monster, it drops experience points, little shiny balls. The balls are rolling on, you have to catch them in time, because they disapper. :lol: crpg revolution :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom