Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Titan Quest Q&A, part 2 at RPG Vault

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Iron Lore; Titan Quest

<a href=http://rpgvault.ign.com>RPG Vault</a> has posted the second part of the <a href=http://rpgvault.ign.com/articles/655/655283p1.html>interview</a> with Brian Sullivan and Arthur Bruno, Lead Designers of <a href=http://www.titanquestgame.com/>Titan Quest</a>, the newest action RPG set in the ancient Greek mythology. There are 2 nice looking exclusive screens, so do take a look.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><b>What kind of magic system have you created for Titan Quest? Does it incorporate various classes or schools, and is casting tied to mana, scrolls or anything else?</b>
<br>
<br>
Magic in Titan Quest comes in the form of "skills" and is relatively all encompassing. Skills range from impressive melee maneuvers found on the Warfare, Stealth, Defense and Hunting skill sets (mini-classes) to more traditional magic found on the Storm, Earth, Spirit, and Nature skill sets. Each skill set will have 16 or more base skills and modifiers. Base skills give the player different abilities that are never replaced by similar higher-level abilities. Each base skill will allow you to do something new, and many of them will have modifier skills that add special properties and increase the overall power of the skill.
<br>
<br>
<b>Given that many RPG fans enjoy collecting loot, what would you like our readers to know about this aspect of your game design?</b>
<br>
<br>
Our goal is to really push the core gameplay that makes RPGs great and we certainly haven't neglected the loot! One thing that always seemed frustrating in RPGs was seeing loot you couldn't get your hands on. You know what I'm talking about... that guy wearing mithril field plate armor you just killed who, even in death, won't give it up or the swarm of hornets that mysteriously dropped a halberd.</blockquote>
<br>
I'm getting used to all those gameplay pushing, genre defining and re-defining comments, and if Iron Lore manages to give us a better Diablo game for mindless fun, I'll be happy.
<br>
<br>
<br>

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
The video for this game impressed me, but I really would like a lot more out of a historical CRPG than just action. If you read mythology, there's a heck of a lot of things like.. PEOPLE TALKING TO EACH OTHER. I'd like to know if I can be like the characters in the Iliad and talk to other heroes about things and talk to mythological dieties every so often. I'd like a little character conflict or diety conflict where I get to pick a side.

Section8

Cipher
It looks like another Diablo clone, albeit a well thought out and well put together one. I'd love to hope for more, but it would only end in tears. Considering the question about what sort of varied quest types was answered with:

We have two main types of quests, story related and optional side quests. And, of course, the best thing about quests is the cool unique loot you can get!*

...I don't expect much.

* "We have both kinds, country and western!"

Shevek

Arcane
I hope it does better with the mythology than alot of other titles set in the ancient world have. A buddy of mine tried to get me to play God of War. I dont mind a mindless hacknslasher now and again but the total bumbling of the historical source material turned me off to that title.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom