Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Brian Fargo and Chris Keenan on Wasteland 2 GOTY, Torment, Bard's Tale 4 at Eurogamer

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Bard's Tale IV; Brian Fargo; Chris Keenan; InXile Entertainment; Torment: Tides of Numenera; Wasteland 2

Eurogamer's Wesley Yin-Poole recently had a Skype chat with Brian Fargo and Wasteland 2 lead designer Chris Keenan. In the resulting interview article, Brian and Chris speak mainly of the upcoming Wasteland 2 Game of the Year Edition, and also a little bit about Torment: Tides of Numenera and inXile's next project, Bard's Tale 4. There's a lot of good stuff here, but I'll try to quote the most interesting bits. On Wasteland 2 GOTY's graphical and gameplay improvements:

Unity 5 introduced a physically-based rendering system that simulates the way the light bounces off of materials in a more realistic way. We're getting a little technical here, but, basically, Unity 5 spreads out specular maps so glass, for example, feels different because light bounces off of it in a different way to, say, stone or brick.

InXile is going through all of its Wasteland 2 assets and modifying them to make use of this new system. "Being a top-down game you see a lot of the terrain," Keenan says. "So we're focusing on making the terrain and the ground plane and the tops of buildings and all that stuff as great as it can be.

"Every single scene is getting basically a complete treatment," Keenan says. "We're not starting from scratch, certainly, because we have a pretty good foundation to everything. But we're just going through and putting a little extra love into every scene."

InXile is also creating brand new character models, which is welcome because, well, let's just say it: they were pretty crude. The new models include new clothing options, some of which you'll see in character creation, where you can now tweak your characters' hat, face and face accessories. You might want your character to wear a gas mask, or a beard. Beards are on trend, so best get those growing.

InXile sent over a few images that show the old character models compared to the new ones, the level art upgrade, and new art for the Quirks, Attributes and Skills. You can see them throughout this article.

I found Wasteland 2's combat functional at best. For all the pre-release talk of tactics, cover and planning ahead, you never had to think too hard about those things. Enemies tended to either charge at you and thus get caught up in your fire, or stay behind cover, in which case they were easily flanked. The whole thing lacked depth and nuance.

So, InXile is having a go at making combat more interesting, but it sounds like this won't be a dramatic change, more a bonus benefit of populating areas with more stuff.

"Combat is more deadly, but it's more deadly if you play the way you played before," Keenan says.

"It was a little bit easier to stand out away from cover. Some areas didn't have a huge amount of cover. We have been adding more. Even with melee enemies, the more we added cover and made them move around and have some choke points, the more interesting the combat was. It's much more about trying to get your way in, find good tactical spots around enemies. If you just do straight bum rush now, you'll get pretty beat up.

"It was something we weren't super happy with. It was a little bit easy in some areas to just stand out in cover. When it worked, it worked well. When we had the tough enemies, the ranged guys who used cover, and pushed the melee guys in between that, it felt pretty good. We've been taking that approach and amplifying it."
And on Bard's Tale 4:

"It's going to be a proper sequel to the original," Fargo says, without giving much away.

"We felt a little cheeky and we did that comedy version in 2004, and we cracked ourselves up with it. But we recognise people wanted a true sequel. And they wanted that classic dungeon crawl. I think Bard's Tale is probably as close to my heart as any game as I've ever done before. And I love this style of game."

Then some good old-fashioned Fargo hype: "I think where people will hopefully be pleasantly surprised, is just how ambitious it is. From a graphical perspective, from a musical perspective, it's going to be bigger and bolder than what people are thinking it will be."

Chris Keenan is similarly enthusiastic, but a tad more reserved.

"There's a lot of room for improvement in that genre," he says. "They aren't going to be the huge, five million sellers, so they've kind of been a little bit lost in time. There's not a big swathe of them that come out. You've had your Might & Magic 10s and your Grimrocks, but there's certainly a lot of creative freedom we can take on it."

InXile, having enjoyed success on Kickstarter with Wasteland 2 and Torment: Tides of Numenera, is hoping for a crowdfunded hattrick with a Kickstarter for The Bard's Tale 4, due to go live this summer.

I'm a little concerned. Kickstarter is in a very different place now than it was when inXile and Double Fine and all the others were raising millions a day back in 2012. At least, that's the perception. But Fargo reckons Kickstarter is still great for developers who deliver, who gamers trust.

"When I announced The Bard's Tale 4 I had more interest and people tweeting me, shut up and take my money, than I ever did on the other two," he says.

"Ultimately, on Kickstarter, going out and begging for money is not the way. Are they excited about product, and do they think you can deliver it? If you have those two things, you can continue to have success."

Fargo won't tell me anything substantial about his plans for The Bard's Tale 4, but I do know he'll dip into its development, as he did with Wasteland 2 and as he's doing with Torment. "On The Bard's Tale 4 I'm hand-picking the musicians," he says. "I've already had one of the songs written and I'm having it translated.

"I'm always involved in every level, but I'm more of a producer than a designer. My job is to get everybody thinking right and hitting the right sensibilities and making a product no one person could ever do."
Wesley also asked Brian about Wasteland 2's sales. He sounds a tad defensive about the topic, but confirms that the game has sold "in the hundreds of thousands of units". But then, we already knew that.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Eh, I don't see much of a difference.

Fargo claims D:OS sold more because of co-op and yet single player PoE trounces them both fiercely. :M

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Fargo claims D:OS sold more because of co-op and yet single player PoE trounces them both fiercely. :M
Do you have any info on that beyond the position on steam bestseller list?

Zeronet

Learned
I hope they tweak some of the content too, not just the graphics.

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
I hope they dont drop ball with Torment combat. Better that their first try was on Wasteland 2.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Fuck you FARGO, even after 2 megapatches, I played the fucking beta. I'll never again trust used cars salesmen.

All hope lies with TToN. I want to believe.

Oh shit, Fargo seduced me once again. Colin make it happen !!!1111

CRD

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Glad I waited to play W2.

Now I only need D:OS rebalance big patch and I will play the last year gotys

I hope they dont drop ball with Torment combat. Better that their first try was on Wasteland 2.

My fear is that now they are going to console market, if they will dumb it down to have a better release aimed at pad players than W2, because it's obvious they want to follow the CDPR path and end selling in the big systems. And we know what happens with that every time

- No, the game is super hardcore and PC aimed, consoles will not dumb it down for you!11

and then :negative:

InXile is also creating brand new character models, which is welcome because, well, let's just say it: they were pretty crude. The new models include new clothing options, some of which you'll see in character creation, where you can now tweak your characters' hat, face and face accessories. You might want your character to wear a gas mask, or a beard. Beards are on trend, so best get those growing.
No, I don't want a beard, I want my indian headdresses back.

The character upgrade is huge, big jump from the worst character models out of the kickstarter games to far and above the best looking.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Glad I waited to play W2.

Now I only need D:OS rebalance big patch and I will play the last year gotys

Heh. Exactly my situation. Though not by choice but due to work. Worked out well though as I have 22 paid holiday days saved up for when 'IT'S TIME'. :smug:

Love the guy(no homo) but Fargo is starting to really take up the Molyneux mantle somewhat though...

Last edited:

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity

Was it ever a doubt in anybody's mind about this ?
That was a given from the get-go, and i don't see a shrewd guy like Fargo not knowing it.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
RIP Bard's Tale 4. It'll be over-the-shoulder action game.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Fargo seems a little bit bitter, like Wastelend 2 reception was ok, but not enough for his ambitions, which is understndable of course given the success of D:OS and (now) PoE.

I like his cunning plan to return to Steam front page and full-price sales for relatively little cost with W2 GOTY edition. That is some keen business sense right there. Console versions will probably pay for themselves easily too. The Codex lukewarm reception to W2 made me cautious to even start playing this game, but I will definitely do it after GOTY edition releases gets a patch or two.

I am looking forward to Bard's Tale IV kickstarter. I have not played BT series at all and might not even back this time (depends on many things, including the entry price), but the kickstarter campaign is bound to be interesting to follow.

GloomFrost

Arcane
Instead of making stupid GOTY remastered editions for consoles and starting another project (Bards Tale) Fargo and inXile should really concentrate on Torment. Cos they really need to make something special to even get close to POE. Review scores, ordinary players reception and sales show how a kickstarter, old-school, party based RPG should be made.

SwiftCrack

Arcane
Super Wasteland II: Hyper Edition will be my GOTY for 2016.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom