Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Prince of Qin review at ZenGamer

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Prince of Qin

<A href="http://zengamer.com/">ZenGamer</a> has posted an interesting, yet negative, <A href="http://zengamer.com/review.php?revid=75&page=2&PHPSESSID=940e375f3b4b0203e6b9dc5d0e6e21b5">review</a> of <a href="http://www.princeofqin.com">Prince of Qin</a>, that zany Chinese lore CRPG. Here's a taste:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Overall, Prince of Qin is quaint in its attempts to revive Ancient Chinese history into some alternative history plot that draws you in, but it really doesn't do much more than put a new skin on an old game genre that peaked with Baldur's Gate. The graphics and sound effects are nothing special and the gameplay is a fairly boring mix of hack and slash and mundane quests. If you are looking for a game that has some historical relevance and a new twist on character development and skill sets, then Prince of Qin is for you. Otherwise, I would suggest that Ancient Chinese history remain in the books... and not on your hard drive.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
Ummm.. Mundane quests? I rather liked the quests in the game and even the most mundane sounding ones often ended up with more than just experience.
<br>
<br>
Spotted at <A href="http://www.shacknews.com">Shack News</a>

Spazmo

Erudite
...an old game genre that peaked with Baldur's Gate.

I'm sorry... Is he suggesting that RPGs couldn't possibly get better than Baldur's Gate and that we should just stop trying? I'm going to be sick...

Sol Invictus

Erudite
That's it Why if we went by that rule, there's really no point in running the RPG Codex or any other RPG site, is there? Hell, let's completely devote ourselves to the praise of Baldur's Gate.

bobbob

Novice
You guys seem to give no credit to BG , it was and is one of the best rpgs ever. Just because the reviewer doesn't prefer the 498 th diabloesque game doesn't make his opinon wrond. Most people connect BG with great RPG, and I tend to agree with them myself. He also never said that people should stop making rpgs he just said Qin is an uninspired one, that also happens to not be as good as BG.

chrisbeddoes

Erudite
bobbob said:
You guys seem to give no credit to BG , it was and is one of the best rpgs ever. Just because the reviewer doesn't prefer the 498 th diabloesque game doesn't make his opinon wrond. Most people connect BG with great RPG, and I tend to agree with them myself. He also never said that people should stop making rpgs he just said Qin is an uninspired one, that also happens to not be as good as BG.

Editor : Hey review writer boy who is the publisher of dat gamez ?

What ?? Big multinational publisher with lotsa money and spetial relationships and things fort us ? Praise da ta gamez

What da publisher is an indepentedent nobody ?
Thrash that p**** of s**t boy !! On da dumpster !!

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I haven't once had someone tell me I'm Bhaal spawn, PoQ Sux!!!1

:roll: :P

Spazmo

Erudite
The problem isn't so much that the reviewer thinks BG is hot shit. That's an opinion the review expresses, and I'm not going to track down the author and force him to admit that BG stinks.

What bugs me is that he clearly thinks that RPGs are an "old genre" that has "peaked." From this, I infer that RPGs are outdated and couldn't possibly get better from hereonin, only worse.

That is wrong. Very wrong. Incredibly wrong. So wrong I'm going to run out of words.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
bobbob said:
You guys seem to give no credit to BG

That's not true. We credit it for leading the way for a lot of shitty action CRPGs that have a lot of automation and very little mechanical depth.

it was and is one of the best rpgs ever.

It was the best CRPG released December 1998 featuring the Second Edition D&D rules and the word "Gate" in the title. Narrow the subject down, and I'll agree with you on it.

However, if you want to include all CRPGs, there's very little that Baldur's Gate did that CRPGs didn't do better before it was released. Where was the environmental interactivity of Ultima or even Wasteland? Where was the attribute based dialogue of Fallout? Where was the interactive combat of.. well.. EVERY CRPG that came before it? How come everything in BG is combat? If I'm the child of a god, why am I a puny human like all the others?

Being able to pick your hair color certainly doesn't make up for those.

Just because the reviewer doesn't prefer the 498 th diabloesque game doesn't make his opinon wrond.

About the one thing you can say about this review that's good is he didn't call PoQ a Diablo clone, which it's not.

Most people connect BG with great RPG, and I tend to agree with them myself.

Most people aren't that bright either.

He also never said that people should stop making rpgs he just said Qin is an uninspired one, that also happens to not be as good as BG.

In terms of mechanics and originality, PoQ pwnz BG.Honeslty, given that all BG lacks considering the CRPGs that even proceded it by so much as a DECADE, do you honestly think that BioWare would be on anyone's radar if they'd made their own CRPG from scratch rather than using AD&D?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom