Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Oblivion ganderings at 1Up

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

<A href="http://www.1up.com/">1Up</a> has a <A href="http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3144736">preview</a> of <A href="http://www.elderscrolls.com">TES4: Oblivion</a>. There's really not much new and it's basically a fluff piece from what I read of it, so here's a clip:
<br>
<blockquote>The PC market doesn't see many good single-player RPGs these days. Diablo-style action-RPG hybrids continue to gain in popularity, and the mainstream acceptance of massively multiplayer online games has ensured you'll never have to play alone again. Meanwhile, the Baldur's Gates and Elder Scrolls of the world remain fond but increasingly distant memories. Fortunately, a few publishers still understand the unique and immersive appeal that traditional RPGs provide. First-person RPG The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, which came out in 2002, is undoubtedly the best recent example of what can be done with the genre, and developer Bethesda Softworks is well aware of that, as executive producer Todd Howard and his team have dedicated the last three years to the series' next epic chapter: The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.</blockquote>
<br>
Think he would have said <i>Elder Scrolls of the world</i> if it weren't for <b>Morrowind</b>? And it's a particularly stupid thing to mention in a preview for the fourth game of the series.
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.bluesnews.com">Blue's News</A>

Pr()ZaC

Scholar
The PC market doesn't see many good single-player RPGs these days. Diablo-style action-RPG hybrids continue to gain in popularity, and the mainstream acceptance of massively multiplayer online games has ensured you'll never have to play alone again. Meanwhile, the Baldur's Gates and Elder Scrolls of the world remain fond but increasingly distant memories.

That part was OK... the rest is just creme de merde, as the frenchmen would say :p

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Well, it's kind of stupid to say that all PC CRPGs coming out are diablo clones and excellent CRPGs like Baldur's Gate and Elder Scrolls games are a distant memory IN A PREVIEW FOR AN ELDER SCROLLS GAME. Not to mention Morrowind came out three years ago, which isn't that long a time frame for becoming a distant memory.

Tintin

Arbiter
CRPGs like Baldur's Gate and Elder Scrolls games are a distant memory IN A PREVIEW FOR AN ELDER SCROLLS GAME.

Basic reading comprehension abilities tell me that he is basically implying that it's a good thing a new ES game is coming out because games like these are a distant memory as the other style becomes more popular, so we should all be happy.

Feel free to butcher that statement, I know it's coming. Here it is :

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
Not to mention Morrowind came out three years ago, which isn't that long a time frame for becoming a distant memory.
r u kidding me? look at the graphics THERE FUCKING ANCIENT, MAN

If Morrowind is the best "Recent" example of what can be done with an RPG, the author seriously needs to play more games, or get a clue.

Tintin

Arbiter
Ergh....come on guys, you can read, right? He's saying games like these are becoming distant memories, but a recent example is TES3: Morrowind.

Proweler

Scholar
Naked_Lunch said:
Not to mention Morrowind came out three years ago, which isn't that long a time frame for becoming a distant memory.
r u kidding me? look at the graphics THERE FUCKING ANCIENT, MAN

If Morrowind is the best "Recent" example of what can be done with an RPG, the author seriously needs to play more games, or get a clue.

He's just picky, but ain't we all?

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
You know, there hasn't been a decent RTS for at least 4 years. Do we get to call "distant memories" on that one too?

Rat Keeng

Liturgist
Ya, it's just bullshit hype, not much to it.

"I can barely remember the greatness of those great games, but Morrowind was totally awesome, and Oblivion is gonna be even more totally awesomely epic."

Andrej

Liturgist
We'll see what Oblivion ammounts to, more than likely, as with everything these days, It'll be a major dissapointment.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom