Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Underworld Ascendant Kickstarter Update #43: Doing Damage

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Jeff Kesselman; OtherSide Entertainment; Underworld Ascendant

In this week's Underworld Ascendant Kickstarter update (they're gotten very punctual with these now), Lead Engineer Jeff Kesselman describes the game's object damage model, which was mentioned in brief in last week's update.

A few weeks back Tim and Chris described how we are using physics to allow arbitrary interactions with thing like traps. By having a physics model of objects and forces applied to them, we can resolve most physics situations.

Damage is an analogous problem. Some things in life count as “dangerous”—fire, swinging axes, big rocks, etc. In some cases such as the rock, and to a lesser extent the axe, damage is a direct result of its mass, shape and speed. In other cases, such as fire, the damage is just an innate part of “what it does”. Just like the game has a physics system to decide how much force is applied to whom and what the result is, the game will have a damage system to decide how much damage is applied and what the results are. I did some work on that this week and have a little demo movie to share and discuss.

[...] We realized early on that not all damage is the same. If I crush something, it has one kind of effect on an object, but if I burn it that can have a very different effect. To allow for this, a damage message has two parts. One is a number indicating the amount of damage, and the other is a damage type. Currently we have Fire, Electrical, and Kinetic (physical) damage types in the system but that list is designed to grow as we build out the game.

The swinging axe in the video has a component called DoesCollisionDamage. This component figures out damage based on the weight of the axe, its relative speed at the time of collision, and a hand tweaked multiplier that models the effect of a blade versus a blunt surface. It sends a kinetic damage message to the crate it is hitting every time it collides.

The crate actually has child game objects each with their own component to receive damage messages. This component can have a list of “resistances” that reduce the damage taken. Each resistance applies to one of the damage types and has a number to be subtracted from the damage and/or a percentage to reduce it by. Resistances might represent an object’s innate toughness, armor or magical resistance. Every child object also has its own pool of hit points to which to apply the damage.

[...] The truly important thing to realize throughout the demo is that none of the inter-object interactions were hard coded. Each object only knows its part of how to react to the situation. The results come from their proximities and interactions. All we need to do, for instance, to make objects burn in the final game is give them the combustible component. You can expect that a great many things will be burnable in the Underworld, not always where and when you want. You will be able to pile up burnable things and make bonfires, burning defensive lines or ad hoc torches. You will be able to jam things in traps, but they had better be strong enough to survive the trap damage or they won’t last long. You will be able to drop heavy movable things on creatures or other objects and damage them.

Like everywhere else in UA, we provide you with the parts that make up a sensible world. What you do with them will be up to your own imaginations. We are looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

In other news, the update reports that the Thief archetype has rather unsurprisingly "won" the class poll OtherSide did two weeks ago, although Mages made a good showing as well. Although the game is supposed to support all three archetypes, one can surmise that these results will inform OtherSide's combat development efforts, so I'm guessing straight melee combat probably won't be super-hardcore. But we'll see.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
I still don't know why they insist on showing off their physics engine so much of all things. It's not even a particularly good one.

It's not even THEIR physics engine, it's unity prefab shit. that's what makes all these "updates" so ridiculous.

Zep--

DeepOcean

Arcane
I see they still love those wooden boxes.:lol: I was expecting something with more detail on the design of the game, I just see alot systemic this, systemic that but the game itself and the details of how they gonna turn this ecology system in code is a mystery.

Aenra

Again worried. Traps requiring teh skillz may not be my thing, but i can at least see the relevance, and as such the intent behind their highlighting them. Fine.
But physics now? What is this, early 2000? (and fuck even that, i remember lifting crates and them falling down on their own back in 1992). I don't even care about whether it's their work or Unity's, or whether it is Cry Engine equivalent or subpar. Physics by now are for better or worse a 'given'. What am i to think here? And more importantly physics are, again, like teh skillz, an element not necessarily related to an RPG's quality (am i not kind?)

I still recall Occulus and co-op wet-dreaming. Now i am been given a physikz 'first taste'. Right after a button masher eye candy traps. If this keeps up, i will soon come to see i am being showcased a product that is really not for me. At all. I comprehend the difficulties inherrent in the combination of first person, combat and gameplay. I can also recall how they were circumvented or overcome in titles 20 years UA's senior. Thus far, this has the distinct shit aroma of a RPGesque shooter. Which i suppose is what passes for an RPG nowadays, even in here. See the Bitcher thread and number of posts.

Fucktards. Fucktards never change. They only keep paying. Gonna leave this here for reference. It is purposely lifted from this very forum. Similarities thoughts your own ^^

10480.jpg

Kron

Arcane
This game is going to be such a huge disappointment for the people who backed it. I can just tell it.
These guys seem out of touch with the actual reality of videogames. Technology-wise. Atmosphere-wise. Mechanic-wise.

Honestly, I just felt incredibly embarrassed by this whole campaign since the beginning.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
They're doing weekly updates. During pre-production. Most Kickstarters don't. Instead they go silent for months. Now you know why.

Last edited:

karnak

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
They're doing weekly updates. During pre-production. Most Kickstarters don't. Instead they go completely silent for months. Now you know why.
Damned if you do.
Damned if you don't.

It really is hard being a game developer.

- "OK. We're going to allow you to smash boxes to get loot"
- NOOO!! (cry a thousand frustrated gamers) Why smash the boxes to get loot? That's stupid! Get rid of that shit!

- "OK. No more box smashing. In the final product you'll only get your loot by lockpicking chests".
- NOOOO!! (cry another thousand frustrated gamers) Why did you get rid of the smashable boxes? Those were great!"

confused_man1.jpg

Nyast

Cipher
If they didn't post any update people would complain they're not communicating, that's the irony of the situation.

The physics engine might be stock, but integrating it to the actual game is still work. I think it's also unfair to compare what they're currently doing to what we had in 1992; what is the last game where traps were entirely running on physics ? Most traps I can remember in games are entirely script-driven.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Maybe they could preface their update titles with something like "Weekly Development Report From The Trenches" or something like that, so spergs don't get the idea that they're supposed to be SUPER-EXCITED about them.

Won't stop them from not getting that this isn't an isometric RPG, though

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
----------> point
(cOdEx)

Whole point of video was to show not physic system but tag system which will be ruling whole game i assume.

Most of games have hardcoded damage and set of things you can do with it. Let's say you have a box and programmers programmed it to :

- be itemstorage
- being destroyed by physical attacks
- when destroyed it vanishes

And that is it. You can't do with it anything else.

Now if they are using tag system they can give it let's say:

- weight
- material
- shape
- has hatch

Those 4 will rule this box.

Weight will set amount of strenght you need to push it and even more for taking it whole. Depending on items in it it will increase its weight. Same thing used D:OS. Depending on your strenght you could move box or even take it.

What this could give you ? Let's say box is trapped and you currently don't have thief to disarm it but you know someone who could do it.
You cast spell on it to lower weight then take whole box without opening it with yourself.

Material will say much how it behaves under circumstances. Can you lit it with candle ? Maybe wood in it has higher burning point so you will need something better than candle, maybe torch ? If it is metal then your metal bending magic could be usefull as you can just tore hole in it with magic and get items from it without using hatch.

Shape could tell you if you can store in it swords or maybe simple squarish things. Maybe it is only for scrolls ?
Does it have bucket shape ? Then you can maybe store in it for example water ? or anything really

Hatch will give it ability to close it. Then you can say what type of hatch it is. Does it have lock ? Trap ? etc.

Then you create whole game with those tags and you have PnP like experience.

You find metal trapped box. Your mage has metal bending so he pokes hole in it and you get items. In room also you have level and automatic doors that will allow you to move only one person behind it.
Wait ! That box is metal and probably won't be smashed to pieces . So you cast spell that affects it's weight and you put box under those doors so it stops them from closing.

Next. You have quest to disarm some box in some house and it is especially lethal trap. You have full permission to destroy whole box from owner.

It is a wooden box. So your one dude sets fire to it so it will burn eventually and then your mage cast protection shell on it. Explosion soon fallows (as fire reaches trap mechanism) but everything is ok since explosion was contained.

Those are the things he was talking about. Those are also the same things driving Dwarf Fortress.

In Dwarf Fortress for example if you have lava spill from somewhere and it will reach stone that has lower boiling point than magma then it will burn releasing toxic fumes that could potentially kill you.
If whole game will be build around tags then "emergent gameplay" aka standard PnP thing will be in this game.

Only question is how much this tag system will be used. Will it be used for everything ? Or just selected stuff ?

AN4RCHID

Arcane
That is probably the least impressive Kickstarter update video I've ever seen. ffs. It makes me question the competency of the developers that they felt this was worthy of highlighting.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
They really don't need weekly updates given the stage at which the game is at. Monthly would probably suffice for awhile.

Aenra

Both Infinitron and Nyast are correct, i'm aware of the "need" to post updates. Just one more trend that has come to solidify itself among many pointless others. Ok.

I still fail to see how that entails pretty much everyone's just having to do them, sorry. Their core audience (at least from those having spoken with their money) is comprised of people that were old/rich enough to own a PC twenty fucking two years earlier. Do be reminded they were a small fortune back then. They are by now both old and mature(r) enough to be able to comprehend a thing or two. All you have to do is tell them:
"Everybody's doing it, but not us. You know us, you have seen what we can do. We update when there is a reason. We will not treat you like the mindless consumer. We know you both care and understand"

Done. And this is not TES XXVIII. Not like the press is camped outside their building or anything now is it. The only pressure is the one they themselves allow to exist. Period. So please stop excusing developers. It's beyond pathetic. You want to suck a cock (you as in anyone, am not being specific now), your call, but at least do it when:
a) you get off on it, physically. So not appliccable here
b) it gets you something tangible you are by your own unable/unworthy to attain. So not appliccable here

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
They're doing weekly updates. During pre-production. Most Kickstarters don't. Instead they go silent for months. Now you know why.

Maybe they could preface their update titles with something like "Weekly Development Report From The Trenches" or something like that, so spergs don't get the idea that they're supposed to be SUPER-EXCITED about them.

Won't stop them from not getting that this isn't an isometric RPG, though

No this shit show is seriously amateur hour.. I could have this stuff working in a day.. The boxes are prefab, that explosion particle effect is the base one with Unity 5, the lighting is all pre-baked shit.

"We aren't sure.. but we think we can have 100% of our lighting come from dynamic sources" - Some Programmer Who Can't Into Unity.

This is a shit show.. I would seriously be worried if I put any money into this.

EDIT:
This video reminded me A LOT of that thread about that Greed Mongering MMO or whatever with the crappy models twitching around when they ran because of the fucked up rigging and like crappy particle spells that all looked like big sloppy circles flying around..

All with some mouth breather trying to explain his ideas and how great it is..

This is like Babies first Unity game.. I would recommend you all get a refund as soon as you can.

Last edited:

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space

Normally yes..

I swear I am not trolling though. I am actually worried about this..

There are Youtube videos of 1 person developer teams in college who are making better progress then this..
This is gonna be a shit show unless they use that KS money to hire a real team of developers who know what they are doing.

Darkzone

Arcane
I have to say that i agree with Immortal and Zep, that all what they have shown is a no brainer, and can be done within few hours. But still i don't know why i am not concerned about this game. Perhaps i assume that they show us only certain bits or parts, and other things they keep concealed. Perhaps i have too much respect for MIT people. Luckily i can only lose $40 on this one.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom