Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Logic Artists reveal Expeditions: Conquistador sequel - Expeditions: Viking

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Expeditions: Viking; Logic Artists

It took them a bit longer than a week, but today the Logic Artists have officially revealed their sequel to 2013's Expeditions: Conquistador - Expeditions: Viking. Here's the announcement trailer and accompanying press release, courtesy of Gamasutra:

Copenhagen, Denmark -- May 20th, 2015 -- Danish indie developer Logic Artists announced today that they have begun development on the second installment in their historical RPG Expeditions series, Expeditions: Viking. Set in the late 700’s A.D., Expeditions: Viking is a tactical RPG where players inherit the leadership of their clan. Charged with elevating their clan’s status, players must seek adventure in far-away lands and defending their home from their enemies, both foreign and domestic.

With the announcement, Logic Artists has also revealed some details about the game. Building upon the original designs of their first game, Expeditions: Conquistador, the Logic Artists team have also taken player suggestions to heart, announcing that the Expeditions Sequel will have an upgradable player village, which they must return to between expeditionary raids to build and protect. Over-land travel and combat will now exist as part of the same layer, transitioning from unrestricted, exploratory movement to turn-based combat smoothly. Additionally, players will see their character manifested in the game world, not just as a role-playing character for conversations and decision making (as was in the first of the Expeditions series), but also visibly represented in travel and combat as a custom character.

“We are very excited to return to our roots in the RPG genre, and as developers from the Nordic region, to make a game in a setting that is a lot closer to home than anything we've done before”, said Jonas Wæver, Creative Director for Logic Artists .“We're improving on the Conquistador formula with deeper and more dynamic systems for character progression, combat abilities, role-playing, choice and consequence, and expanding on our favorite part of Conquistador: camping and wilderness survival”.

About Expeditions: Viking

Expeditions: Viking is a Historically-themed RPG set in the Viking Age. As the new leader of a humble clan of farmers and fighters players must adventure into the unknown lands to the west to raid and/or trade their way to wealth, fame and glory. Will you rewrite history as a peaceful and benevolent trader? Or pave your road to Valhalla with the treasures and bones of your fallen enemies? Experience choice and consequence as never before in the much awaited addition to the Expeditions Series, Expeditions: Viking.

I guess they have the home advantage this time (is that accent authentic?). Maybe Paradox can publish it as a replacement for their cancelled Runemaster.

Jarakka

Learned
Jesus, probably the only setting I didn't expect.

Oh well. Give me some rape and pillage and magic mushrooms and all that good stuff.

Notorious

Augur
One of my favorite time periods, looking forward to it. I'm interested how they are going to pull off the strategic movement on sea and land.

Jonas

Campfire Cabal
Developer
I can still hear that it's a Scandinavian speaking, but the accent is exaggerated.
Nah that is her actual accent. It was actually a bit heavier than that, but we did a lot of takes to make sure everything was understandable. She's Icelandic, as Icelandic is the only modern Nordic language that's still reasonably close to Old Norse ;)

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
They're riding the viking show hype train like many indie devs recently.

And they're not even trying to hide it.

Luka-boy

Arcane
Heh. This actually makes so much sense I feel a bit underwhelmed. I guess I was expecting them to surprise me with something more exotic, especially after all those predictions in that thread. Not like I'm at all against Vikings. Hopefully the devs deliver.

And also hopefully they don't have backer/preorder/whatever exclusive characters.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Also feeling underwhelmed... so many cool eras & historical events, yet we keep getting medieval Europe or vikings over and over again...

Then again, the real blame probably lies with popamole gamers that reject anything they aren't familiar with.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I can still hear that it's a Scandinavian speaking, but the accent is exaggerated.
Nah that is her actual accent. It was actually a bit heavier than that, but we did a lot of takes to make sure everything was understandable. She's Icelandic, as Icelandic is the only modern Nordic language that's still reasonably close to Old Norse ;)
Can you confirm or deny the existence of authentic ancient nordic helmets
bis_3054.JPG
in your game?

Also, can we kidnap people and haul them back to our village?

Jonas

Campfire Cabal
Developer
Honestly we just wanted to do vikings. That may indeed have had something to do with its current popularity (as in, everyone is into vikings right now, including us), but also... all viking games are heavy on the mythology and all that. Norse mythology is cool, but you end up with what essentially amounts to a regular fantasy game with a slightly different aesthetic. We're pretty excited about doing an actual historical viking RPG, where the mythology will obviously still factor in, but in a more grounded and superstitious sense, like the occasional Aztec weirdness in Conquistador.

I can confirm there will be no horned helmets in Expeditions: Viking. Although I want to have one in there that's meant for ritual purposes, and if you try to wear it into combat you'll get penalties for being a dumbass ;)

Slavery (thralls) will certainly factor in one way or another, but we haven't settled on anything yet.

Will the game accurately simulate the vikings as a bunch of monk murdering cowardly savages responsible for the greatest destruction of human knowledge since the burning of the great library of Alexandria? No day one purchase otherwise.

Jonas

Campfire Cabal
Developer
Yes, if you want to play it that way, of course. It *is* called Viking, so murdering everything that moves and pillaging all their shit is obviously the way to go, and we'll give you plenty of opportunities to be an asshole

:martini:

Weasel
There will be so many shieldmaidens. The butthurt will be epic.

And as for grooming? A rather large and severe looking bone comb with iron rivets found in York and dating to the 9th or 10th centuries shows that the Vikings did try to look after their hair.

“Despite the popular image of Vikings as wild and shaggy looking, bone and antler combs are very common finds,” said Williams. “We even know the name of one combmaker. A comb from Lincoln carries the inscription: ‘Thorfastr makes a good comb.” Toiletry sets for women and ear scoops to dig wax out have also been discovered.

But one of Williams’s favourite items on display (along with his own Viking toy from when he was three) is a bright brooch adorned, not with dragons or serpents, but bears’ heads. Cuddly teddy bears are generally thought of as a 20th-century invention. “But those look like teddy bears to me,” said Williams. “They are cute and cuddly.”

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yeaaaaaah! Super excited.

Jonas, I hope you guys also take time to improve enemy variety! That was something that was really missing in the first game, imho. Combat was super fun, but it needed something extra.

Also, I can't wait to see just how "viking" you're gonna let us be. Don't hold back, now! A little moral outrage is good for publicity :smug:

Jonas

Campfire Cabal
Developer
Lots of things in Conquistador needed more variety, that's one of the main things we're hoping to address in Viking.

As for how viking we'll let you be, well... if you've played Conquistador, that should get you some idea of how far we're willing to let you go. Personally, the asshole options are always my favourite to write. It's nice to have an outlet, I guess...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom