Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Dragon Wars released on GOG

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Dragon Wars; Interplay

Back in the late 80s, Interplay found themselves unable to receive permission from Electronic Arts to release an additional sequel in their hit The Bard's Tale franchise. So instead they made Dragon Wars, which sought to combine the first person dungeon crawl experience of Bard's Tale and the roleplaying elements of Wasteland, with a unique Sumerian theme. Unfortunately, it sold poorly and today is a very obscure title. Many knowledgable fans, however, consider it to be the true Bard's Tale IV they never got. Which is why it may not be surprising that with inXile's own Bard's Tale IV Kickstarter just days away, Herve Caen's zombie Interplay has decided to release Dragon Wars on GOG. There's no trailer or anything, so I'll just quote the description:

The designers of the Bard's Tale series, Wasteland and Battle Chess pooled their talents to create the ultimate role-playing fantasy. The result was Dragon Wars.

Sailing across uncharted seas, you and your party are in search of a legendary paradise called Dilmun - a place where the streets are paved with gold and no one wants for anything.

However, King Drake of Phoebus has declared all magic illegal - magickers have been slain or fled into exile. In retaliation, enemy islands have threatened to unleash their guardian dragons, the most destructive force in the world. While docked at a harbor in Dilmun, you are arrested on suspicion of spellcasting.

Imprisoned and stripped of everything but your wits, you are sentenced to life in a cesspool called Purgatory. Magic is your only salvation - a worldly possession in a world possessed.
  • Over 60 monsters and 65 spells.
  • A unique combat system: choose complexity of combat resolution, determine spell strength, select tactics of ranged combat.
  • A paragraph book to enhance storytelling.
You can buy Dragon Wars for the standard GOG fee of $6. Meanwhile, Rebecca Heineman's Dragon Wars 2 project, which we wrote about back in February, has mysteriously transformed into something called "Dragons of the Rip". Not sure what's up with that now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
Thanks for posting this one - Dragon Wars is one of those that got away from me -looking at purchasing now although I suspect it has the not very PC/apple graphics of the time and not the superior C64 ones.

Parsifarka

Arcane
Great news. I've been wanting to play it since long time, but I'm too lazy to configure Dosbox.

c6f2b0b78757f67c8a0a7cc433497d87d76d2034.jpg

This looks awesome

Owl

Cipher
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Thanks for posting this one - Dragon Wars is one of those that got away from me -looking at purchasing now although I suspect it has the not very PC/apple graphics of the time and not the superior C64 ones.

Or the even better Amiga ones :)

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It's almost certainly going to be the DOS version.

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
:incline:

Obligatory Matt Chat video:

Hey - thanks for posting that video - never came across Matt Chat before. Added the site to my bookmarks and now watched the Dragon Wars one and a bit of the Planscape one.

I happen to glance at a bit where the nameless one gets attacked by lots of bats or something - reminded me of Riddick in Pitch Black. Never realised Planescape had all these moments - I need to play it soon.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hey - thanks for posting that video - never came across Matt Chat before.
You are missing out. He made a lot of great review and conducted many great interviews.

I happen to glance at a bit where the nameless one gets attacked by lots of bats or something - reminded me of Riddick in Pitch Black. Never realised Planescape had all these moments - I need to play it soon.
Yeah, strangely enough I quite enjoyed dungeon crawling sections of Planescape Torment. While they were not the focus of the game, they were well made and had good pacing.

The game even had a dungeon dedicated to grinding XP, with respawning enemies, where you could get one of the best items in the game as a rare drop. Although that location was pretty lackluster overall.

Alchemist

Arcane
Great to see Dragon Wars released on GOG!

By the way - I noticed this in the release comments thread - which might be of interest to some. They'll be live-streaming Dragon Wars tomorrow with Rebecca Heineman joining in for commentary:
QDY6xQ4.png

Last edited by a moderator:

GreyViper

Prophet
That is not dead which can eternal lie, how Herve still survives is a mystery to me. Wonder what he did with all the money he scammed out of Bethesda. As to Dragon Wars , I am ashamed to say I never heard of it.

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
Interesting for me at least - I have done some research on Dragon Wars.

CPRG Addict included it in his large testing and gave it an above average score. He also pointed to a 1989 review which I include below -

Purgatory stinks. It reeks of the dead and dying among filthchoked streets, decaying buildings, and open-air cesspools. Few survive for long in this noisome parody of a city and those who do quickly lose what humanity they once had. They go mad or prey on the weaker inhabitants, always on the lookout for new blood to bully, beat, or rob.

This time, the new blood is you, dumped naked and unarmed into a hell on earth from which, so it's said, there is no escape but death . . .

So begins Dragon Wars, the latest role-playing game from Interplay.

No party of adventurers has ever started out in a more unpleasant, hostile environment with so little, which is exactly nothing. No armour, no weapons, no money, no spells. "Nada", as they say on the west coast. It's a chilling thought. Yet, despite the depressing prospects, there is hope. Your situation is far from impossible.

For the clever, the brave, and yes, the desperate, there are ways out of this city of the damned, and not necessarily feet first. It all depends on the risks you're willing to take, and how good your party of four is with various skills.

The characters who come with the game are a good bet. They form a well-balanced group (although you may want to change their names) and the necessary skills are well-distributed among them.

These aren't just demo characters to get you started. They are seriously constructed and carefully planned out personas who are capable of finishing the adventure. Of course, you may feel happier creating your very own people, instead of using the pre-generated bunch. This is fine, but before doing that, study the others very carefully.

Note what skills each one comes with. All of them have a purpose, and some are critical to success in the game. Each new character begins with no skills, and attributes of 10. You have 50 points with which to "buy" attribute increases and skills, not necessarily on a one-for-one basis. How you allocate these points is up to you, but once you're finished, there is no going back to undo something (unless you want to delete the character and start again). Your third option is to bring over one or more characters from any of the three Bard's Tale games.

Don't do it! You won't like the results. Regardless of level, they all come over with physical stats of 16, a couple of skills, and 10 points for skill or attribute increases. This is less than it sounds, especially if the characters transfer with a high level. For mages in particular, this is a problem, as it costs 10 points for each Magic skill beyond Low Magic. The character eats up the points right there, with nothing left over.

Since you can expect to finish the game with characters somewhere between 8th and 10th level on average, you see where the problem lies in starting with high-level ones. Their advancement will be very slow, and the precious points gained on level increase (see below) will be few and far between. The only time you might come out ahead with a transferred character is to bring over a low level fighter. It simply isn't worth bringing over a mage. Overall, you will do better starting with a brand-new group.

Every time a character reaches a new level, he or she receives 2 more points to put into skills or attributes. These points can be used immediately or held onto while you decide where they should go. Level itself does not confer any benefits in combat or spell-casting.

It is just a way of marking when you can increase the abilities of the characters. Once you're satisfied with your characters, they are set down in the middle of Purgatory and the game begins. There are many unpleasant people and critters roaming the streets and alleys. Confrontations will be frequent. In a Certain Other Series (heh), this would spell instant doom and aggravation. However, that is not the case here. You don't have to fight unless you really want to (and, at the beginning, you certainly don't!), since all opponents start far enough from the group to allow everyone to run away safely.

Expect to do a lot of running as you explore the city. There is, of course, only so much running one can do; eventually, fighting becomes necessary. The trick is to take on the weaker opponents, those you have a fair chance of defeating with bare hands. Soldiers and guards do not fall into this category! Born losers might be a better choice. Combat is totally menu-driven. When a confrontation occurs, a picture of the closest foe is displayed on the left, and a main option menu comes up on the right. This is where you choose to Fight, Run, or Advance. Advancing moves the party forward ten feet. Running causes each party member to flee individually. This can be dangerous in close combat, as some monsters may be faster than some characters
and hence, get in a shot or two as they run away. Fighting, of course, brings up a sub-menu of choices for each character, one at a time. Essentially, you can attack, dodge, block, cast a spell, use an item, run, or move forward or back in line. Additional submenus appear when "Attack" or "Cast a spell" is chosen. Casting a spell requires the most decisions, as you must choose the type of magic, the type of spell, and finally, the spell itself.

While this is a lot to wade through, familiarity makes it go faster, especially since you only need to type in the first letter of each choice (plus return). Also, you will probably have a small selection of favourite spells to use in combat, thus casting can go very quickly indeed. When there is more than one group of opponents, you also have a choice as to which one you want a particular character to attack. Range (which is given) is extremely important here, both for spells and distance weapons such as bows. Different spells have different range limits, so keep the manual handy to make sure you aren't wasting magic on someone unreachable. The same holds true for distance weapons; i.e. a long bow can shoot farther than a regular bow. As you experiment with different ranged weapons, you will learn what the optimums are for each one.

Health is always important and, once all combat choices have been made, the menus are replaced by the names of the characters with bar graphs beneath them. The first bar, in red, represents hit points. Should this reach zero, the character is dead (and you can be dead a long time in this game). The second bar, in green, shows stun. If this goes down to zero, the character is alive but unconscious. He can be revived during combat with a healing spell or potion. Should none be available (or there's no time to use one), the character is restored fully (as far as stun goes) when combat is over. A character always takes stun damage when hit, and stun is always twice the physical injury. Thus a blow that causes three points of damage on the red bar will do six on the green bar. In many cases, a character will drop from stun damage instead of death. The third bar, in blue, appears only for mages, and measures how much magical energy remains for spell-casting. If this goes to zero, or close to it, that character is unable to cast spells. Magical energy does not regenerate automatically; you need a dragonstone or magic pool to restore it. Should the entire party become stunned, it is not the end. You are simply turned around and moved away from the combat square, just as though you had run. Physical damage remains, but the stun bars are renewed, and everyone (who didn't die in combat) is still alive. Of course, if everyone does die, you'll have to restore to your last save and try again. In this game, death is even more necessary to avoid than in other games. There are no spells, no handy temples, no wandering priests to bring back the deceased. There is one, and only one, place where resurrection is possible. It is not easy to reach or find. Should someone die, my recommendation is to restore the game, because you need all the people you can get.

Magic, as you've probably guessed by now, is no longer a case of "nuke 'em till they glow". Those days are over. Combat spells are much more restrained. The majority of the group-effect spells do a maximum of 24-36 points of damage. There are a few spells which can be more potent, by virtue of the points put into them (Inferno comes to mind as an example), but don't expect to find anything of god-like power (even if you get it from a god).This is true of goodies in the game as well. There are many neat things out there, waiting for your hot little hands, but you won't be stumbling over swords (+50) or armour (+90), since there aren't any. Further, combat gives you experience points (and sometimes a little cash). Anything beyond that has to be found. No chests with mega-items will be presented after you slaughter the goblins or anyone else for that matter.

The good stuff is tucked away and you'll just have to ferret it out on your own. Some of the Neat Things out there are NPC's you can add to the party. Up to three of them can be included in the group (giving you seven characters in all), and you would be wise to take in some extra help. They fight, cast spells, use items, etc., as you direct them to, so there is little difference between them and the regular party members. NPC's also go up in level, just as the characters do, thus they, too, improve over time. In general, the game works very well. Combat is properly balanced, and you will need a mix of muscle and magic in most encounters to prevail.

Treasure is equally balanced. All of it has been placed specifically with no random items in the game. This is a brilliant stroke, as it prevents the "Monty Haul" syndrome, while still providing everything the party needs to complete the game. The designers have been generous, but not outrageous.

Also, there are many subplots in the game, though their overall effect is relatively minor. For example, if you manage to destroy the city of Phoebus, it will not materially affect your chances of success. On the other hand, you certainly won't be able to do anything in Phoebus again, since it isn't there any more (ah well, this
is why we have save games . . .). Still, these various subplots add a great deal to the game. There's nothing like being drafted into the enemy's army to make you sit up and take notice! Selling yourself into slavery (horrible thought!) as one way out of Purgatory leads to a simple but complete adventure of its own. It
doesn't change anything, but you'll certainly have some nervous moments as you sneak around in chains trying to escape.

Everything builds to the moment of your final confrontation with Namtar. Make no mistake, this is a mean one. Forget all those wimpy evil-doers who drop dead in the first round of combat. Namtar is one tough customer and you will remember this fight for a long, long time. It is probably the best end-game battle of any CRPG I've ever played. Decide that one for yourself when you get there. Those who hate mapping (and they are legion) will rejoice over the automap feature. It automatically records all places you have been (unexplored areas are black) and remembers them, as well.

Outdoors, indoors, town, dungeon, wherever, the auto-map will faithfully record it for you, along with significant land features (trees, walls, doors, etc). Of course, it only shows your current area. If you're inside a city, for instance, the map is only of the city. If you're in the outdoors, the map is of the outdoors, although you will see the landmarks on it (the ones you've visited, that is).

The graphics (Apple double hi-res) are excellent. While the monster pictures are not fully animated, they do have movement (some of it quite subtle). Since combat is not in real-time, take a moment when an encounter begins to enjoy the pics (it will probably be the only chance you have to do so). When you're not
fighting, the display shows your current location, with 3D view.

On the down side, the most important factor is the lack of conversation. While there are many very nice paragraphs in the manual to read, there is no real dialogue between the characters and people they meet (as one would have in an Ultima or Magic Candle). More interaction is needed in this area. There are some minor annoyances: you don't know anything about an NPC until you've taken him into the party; having items examined at a store reveals nothing about their special powers (if any); if a bow is unequipped, its arrows or bolts are also unequipped; requiring two rounds in combat to re-equip them both.

Fortunately, none of this is very detrimental to playing the game. In spite of a few rough edges, Dragon Wars leaves the "Bard" series in the dust. Tighter design, attention to detail, balanced combat, and a carefully constructed plotline all combine to produce a CRPG well worth playing.

Bottom line: Highly recommended, especially for those tired of hack and slash epics.

Copyright 1989 by Scorpia, all rights reserved.

http://www.cgwmuseum.org/galleries/issues/cgw_66.pdf

So I played Dragon Wars a long time ago and it was one of the games that got away. In those days if you upgraded from BBC B to C64 to Amiga to PC - you lost access to many of your old games.

Apparently DW was supposed to be BT4 but a well known company had the license.

Interestingly I am beginning to change my firm opinion that consoles killed the RPG and now take a long hard look at Electronic Arts. They must have snapped up a bunch of titles and just sat on them.

The magazine link was interesting, article on Prince of Persia, adds for Faery Tale Adventure, Magic Candle and Pools of Radiance.

25 years on I am a bit saddened by the lack of development in RPG games - Blobbers have not moved on much at all - sniff -

Dehumanizer

Educated
PC speaker sound only? After BT3 supported Adlib and Roland MT-32? Crap, should have investigated before I bought it. :)

(I'm much more of a sound whore than a graphics whore, apparently... I can stand EGA graphics even today without any trouble, but to play a version with just "beeps" when I know there's one with better sound and/or music out there is a problem to me. Oh well, there are always Amiga emulators, and I can still use the PDF manuals from GOG.)

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Some info bits on their new game:
- Becky was talking with Interplay to use Dragon Wars IP, but eventually 'the deal didn't work out.' So they're going with their own original IP Dragons of the Rip.
- DotP will be formally announced during E3. Kickstarter will be launched at late June.
- DotP is using Unreal Engine 4.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Some info bits on their new game:
- Becky was talking with Interplay to use Dragon Wars IP, but eventually 'the deal didn't work out.' So they're going with their own original IP Dragons of the Rip.
- DotP will be formally announced during E3. Kickstarter will be launched at late June.
- DotP is using Unreal Engine 4.

Thanks for that. I'm too busy playing Staglands so I didn't watch the stream.

I hope their pitch is as detailed as possible. Because I think they'll need to make one hell of a KS pitch if they really want to succeed.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
More:
- The game is currently in pre-production. Prototyping, concept arts and things.
- They're even experimenting with camera view. (First person view, 3/4 perspective, or hybrid.)

- No classes. Skill based system like DW.
- Based on skills party character's personality will be determined. When converse with NPCs dialogues will be spoken by most likely the person say that line.
- More C&C than DW1. Possibility to join the evil boss.

- You can create a party of 4 adventurers start with and can recruit up to 7.
- It's full 3D and gonna look really nice.

- Not planning mod tools yet.

- Basically there will be 3 different worlds. Each world have complete different genre in it. You'll explore different realm to realm.
- Stories and quests will be written by very famous authors. Jennell Jaquays, Maurine Y. Starkey...and they have very, very well-known game designer names. Cannot disclose yet.
- "You start off with one world. Once you defeat the bad guy of the world, you think the game is over, but in reality the game has just began. Because you've now open up a rip which takes you to nexus where you will find other rips to other worlds."
- Each world will be very different and will be written by different authors.
- They will add more worlds if they meet stretch goals.

--

I feel Old School RPG from Olde Skuul, huh...

Bonus:
streamer: I have to confess I didn't played any of Bard's Tale games.
becky: Play Bard's Tale III. That's the definitive version.

victim

Arbiter
Possibly Retarded Vatnik
Great news. I've been wanting to play it since long time, but I'm too lazy to configure Dosbox.

c6f2b0b78757f67c8a0a7cc433497d87d76d2034.jpg

This looks awesome

At one time I did configure Dosbox but I've been wanting to play it again but have been too lazy to reconfiugre Dosbox.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom