Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

A bunch of questions about TB & RTwP

Fresh

Erudite
In no particular order:

:?: - How many seconds ("in-game-time") is a turn supposed to represent in FO and/or in JA2? (For example I remember a pnp rpg where a combat-turn was supposed to simulate approximately 3-4 seconds.)

:?: - What do you call the kind of system Fallout Tactics use?

:?: - If TB is comparable to chess, then what is RTwP comparable to?

:?: - If you want a game with simulated tactical squad-based combat - is then (some version of) TB the ultimate system for doing this? Do we already have the best system that ever can be (imagined)? (Name the particular game) That is with "fun-factor" as the criteria. (Although I guess this depends on who is having fun..)

:?: - If TB is the answer to the question above - then why arent alot of TB-games being developed nowadays? Is TB nothing the casual/mainstream- gamer can enjoy, or is it an issue of bad PR/image or something else?

Fez

Erudite
I am not sure, I was distracted by the emoticons.

Human Shield

Augur
There is either phase-based, turn-based, or real-time. There is no other category, there is just real-time with more rules.

Turn-based always has more tactics involved.

In RT if you see an enemy you go and shoot them. In TB you have to decide on the best way to use your limited amount of AP to defeat the enemy while insuring that you are still in a tactically defendable position.

TB involves making more decisions by its very nature. And rewards and punishes mistakes and good plans 100x more then RT, in this way it simulates reality better.

Make a mistake in real life = dead
Make a mistake in TB = dead
Make a mistake in RT = Pause and run away instantly

**What do you call the kind of system Fallout Tactics use?

Real-time with rules.

**If TB is comparable to chess, then what is RTwP comparable to?

Playing tag with a big pause button. Althou speed and reaction time will look weird.

If you want a game with simulated tactical squad-based combat - is then (some version of) TB the ultimate system for doing this? Do we already have the best system that ever can be (imagined)? (Name the particular game) That is with "fun-factor" as the criteria. (Although I guess this depends on who is having fun..)

ToEE and X-COM. X-COM didn't display hidden enemy movement and instantly skipped to the player's turn if they didn't see anything. ToEE had enemies move together if they didn't interfere with each other (needed some work) and had real-time explore mode.

If TB is the answer to the question above - then why arent alot of TB-games being developed nowadays? Is TB nothing the casual/mainstream- gamer can enjoy, or is it an issue of bad PR/image or something else?

RT is more popular because most people like no-mind kill games. TB strategy games have a good niche market but RPGs are dominated by Diablo clones.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom