Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

A developer pitches their RPG to you, what do you want to hear about?

ValeVelKal

Arcane
Show me a prototype and some art, and also tell me all about your team.

I don’t care for the story, though a three liner on the global context is OK if it is anything else than high-fantasy.

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
What differentiates it's setting from other generic worlds? (At least a cross genre like SciFi-western or postapo fantasy)
How is the story presented? (Let me wander around and discover shit myself.)
What's the scale of the presented world? (Depth > width. An interesting city is better than a shallow world).
What kind of side quests does it have? (Optional story quests only. No auto generated fetch quest garbage, POIs or "side activity" shit.)
Does it have meaningful choices? (I want to say "No, fuck you." and face the consequences.)
What are the dialogue options? (I want to lie. To promise. To explain why I failed. To propose a different solution.)
Does it have alternative quest solutions? (I want to come up with a different way to solve stuff, and the game acknowledge that).
How many characters do I control? (4-6 party preferably, but I want interaction. Characters other than mine need a reason to go along with the shit I do.)
Can I create my own character? (I better do and I mean stats, not hair color.)
What's the scale of combat? (Party vs. party is best. Killing trashmobs is boring.)
What mechanics does it use? (Don't care for established systems, but it better be balanced and give variety of build choices.)
What kind of loot and items can I find? (Full loot only. If I killed someone with a sword he better have that sword on his body. And armor. And gold. And that fucking sandwich he didn't get to eat.)

MMO-like features
decline.png
Fucking cool down abilities.

Last edited:

deuxhero

Arcane
Why can I trust you to actually complete this?
What makes this stand out?
Are the girls cute or intentionally ugly because it's 2016?

Are people of color and non binary genders represented?

I genuinely would want to hear about such thing asap, purely because it allows quick rejections.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Also, is the party comprised of stupid mandatory companions with opinions, or can I create a custom party?

Full party creation can be good (Icewind Dale), but companions with principles, beliefs and opinions is superior if done well. See Jagged Alliance 2, which is the ultimate party-based RPG.
Reminder that ja2 isn't an RPG

Yep. And Pathfinder: Kingmaker as well, even less of a Crpg than JA2 for the same reason.

Also non of the games we are talking about on the codex are rpg - they all are Crpg. Sorry for nitpicking but i saw people forgetting there is are crucial and fundamental difference between the two. Here on the codex of all places.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
The last five of the following:
  • Metal songs listened to.
  • Fantasy novels read.
  • Action movies seen.
You can often tell how good a pie is going to be just by the quality of ingredients alone.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Yep. And Pathfinder: Kingmaker as well, even less of a Crpg than JA2 for the same reason.

Iggy-binned.

Reason: Suggesting that JA2 is not RPG.
Who, me? You do understand sarcasm? I know it translates bad to the internet but come on that was retarded... Unless you were sarcastic too then I'm sorry.
Also I;m one of the most vocal proponent on the Codex of JA2 being on of the best crpg ever made. And I call people who non ironically* call JA2 "not an crpg" idiots almost as often as you do.

*(if there are any but people's stupidity has no boundaries)

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Who, me? You do understand sarcasm. I know it translates bad to the internet but come on that was retarded... Unless you were sarcastic too then sorry.
Also i'm one of the most vocal proponent of JA2 being on of the best crpg ever made. And I call the people who non ironically (if there are any but people's stupidity has no boundaries) call JA2 "not an crpg" idiots almost as often as you do.
But it was too late.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Who, me? You do understand sarcasm? I know it translates bad to the internet but come on that was retarded... Unless you were sarcastic too then I'm sorry.
Also I;m one of the most vocal proponent on the Codex of JA2 being on of the best crpg ever made. And I call people who non ironically* call JA2 "not an crpg" idiots almost as often as you do.

*(if there are any but people's stupidity has no boundaries)

Iggy bin averted.

Reason: misunderstanding.

Lightningstrike197

Barely Literate
I'd want to hear about their approach to resource management, enemy encounters, and builds, as well as anything unique about it.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
If I were a bigwig smoking a cigar sitting in my comfy leather chair in my Manhattan office and you walked in attempting to pitch me your "RPG", the first thing I'd say is...

"Define RPG."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom