Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

A good Fallout 3 review

Simbacca

Novice
Actually, this is a decent Fallout 3 review:

http://www.incgamers.com/Games/1943/rev ... lout-3/765

While reading the review, I was expecting to see a score in the 7.x range just based on the tone. Though the score given is indeed higher than that, at least it's not the bogus all positive IGN (well 2 out of 3) reviews.

The Incgamers review actually discuss how poor qualities of the game hamper the enjoyment of playing *gasp*. Still they fail to discuss how it is not Fallout, but at least it discusses how it is NOT the best game EVAR

The next review I look forward to reading is GameBanshee's (since they had one of the most fair reviews of Oblivion I ever read).

denizsi

Arcane
Combat is a mix of the turn-based VATS (Vault-tec Assisted Targeting System), and real-time shooting

I don't understand why people have such a hard time contemplating what turn-based means and why VATS is irrelevant to turn-based. You get to carry out an action uninterrupted and then the opponents also take their moments to do the same, hence calling it turn-based. In VATS, there is no taking turns. You pause, and then unpause. The game proceeds as usual. Was Mass Effect also called turn-based?

edit: It's not a terrible review, but it has its own share of stupidity:

Stats-based attempts at persuasion replace Oblivion’s dialogue minigame when needed, with mixed results. All this is rather dated when you consider the likes of Mass Effect’s dialogue options, and your contact with other characters is mostly used as a means to an end rather than something to enter into for the fun of it.

Yeah, ME totally innovated in there, rendering old approaches completely obsolete.

There are some other silly remarks as well. Overall, I wouldn't call this review better, but only somewhat more mature. Less drooling over trivial shit but still silly critique or undeserved praise.

Rosh

Erudite
denizsi said:
I don't understand why people have such a hard time contemplating what turn-based means and why VATS is irrelevant to turn-based. You get to carry out an action uninterrupted and then the opponents also take their moments to do the same, hence calling it turn-based. In VATS, there is no taking turns. You pause, and then unpause. The game proceeds as usual. Was Mass Effect also called turn-based?

That load of ignorance has worked for years for BioWare, so naturally the mainstream media and several other developers have caught the terminal retardation as well. It is rather sad when a developer themselves fails to understand the differences between turn-based and real-time with pause.

X-COM: Apocalypse had it clearly defined. There was a real-time (with pause and several other time increments), and a clearly TB mode.

What is with all the ignorant children lately? Oh, yes, X-Box.

denizsi

Arcane
Well, I remember reading RTWP in mainstream media (ie. mostly written for morons by morons) for IE games and even in at least one ME review, so that's why slapping TB on RTWP is kind of new to me. Mainstream media in general have surely been getting to new highs in stupidity in recent years though.

Rosh

Erudite
denizsi said:
Well, I remember reading RTWP in mainstream media (ie. mostly written for morons by morons) for IE games and even in at least one ME review, so that's why slapping TB on RTWP is kind of new to me.

When the "definition" came from the horse's ass themselves, it really took the stupid to whole new levels.

Mainstream media in general have surely been getting to new highs in stupidity in recent years though.

Thank BioWare, Bethesda, 2K Games, Lionhead, Blizzard, Microsoft, and just about every X-Box whore developer out there.

Jamshh

Novice
Where Oblivion was this soft-focus, fairly unimaginative fantasy landscape, Fallout goes for a post-nuclear Earth

Out with the old, in with the new.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Caveman said:
Personaly I love such a "fragile" type of beauty.
there's a "fragile" type of beauty, and then there is anorexia nervosa.
this girl belongs in the latter category.

shihonage

DEVELOPER
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Best part of IGN UK review:

The game's overall trouble with character animations means these death scenes just look really clumsy, and conceptually it's really puerile – like a Saw-obsessed 14 year-old's idea of cool.

Ion Flux

Savant
Project: Eternity
I don't get these reviews. There's an awful lot of negativity in some of them but they all give 9/10+. I know this is not a new observation, but it's like the cognitive dissonance you experience when someone is showing text on a slide that differs dramatically from what they are saying. It's flummoxing.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Ion Flux said:
it's like the cognitive dissonance you experience when someone is showing text on a slide that differs dramatically from what they are saying. It's flummoxing.
might be related to the fact that publishers like to sue mags/sites that have been paid for ads, yet present low scores in their reviews.

elander_

Arbiter
Fallout 3 has come to this world and everyone rejoices except for those nma and rpgcodex bitches who are siding with evil. Bethesda is winning the battle against game play ... err evil. No more the player will have to think to play a game. No more the player will have to manage his resources carefully, which would be dumb since he paid for the game and owns every stimpak in it.

This video is proof of the awesomeness of Fallout 3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIEqcRtVVpk

Five shots to the head in one vats usage but the brave warrior survives (Fallout 3 is not for the faint of heart). But don't worry just run around a bit, not much and you can use VATS again. While running around our hero bravely hides besides a two headed cow but doesn't avoid getting a few shots. Again not to worry, just bring up inventory and use the necessary stimpaks in your head, ass, arms to recover your precious health and mean while also take some mentats, switch your weapons and pick up the best hat for the occasion. The warriors of the wasteland have a code of etiquette and will never shot the player while he is browsing his stuff.

spectre

Arcane
might be related to the fact that publishers like to sue mags/sites that have been paid for ads, yet present low scores in their reviews.

This actually depends on the type of agreement they have.

It was the case with "Exclusive Reviews" which have been plaguing gaming mags like 10 - something years ago.
The typical contract was as such - the company provides all relevent material and info about the game.

On the other hand, the mag was oblieged to:
(o) Put the gamie in the preview section
(o) Put the game on cover
(o) Put ads
(o)Devote n pages to the game overall
(o)An agreed % total score value in review (sic!), usually 80-90%, no less.

Not sure how it is handled howadys, but I imagine more sucking off is involved.

And yes, if you write bad reviews, the publisher may (usually will, though) flip you the bird when it comes to ads. So good bye profit.

Y'know just in case you wondered why gaming "journalism" fell so low in the recent years. Truth be told, you either whore out, or are out of the playgroun, cause you have to scrape the bottom of the barrel for info, funds and teh shiney. Such was the case with paper stuff, so it is now on the internets.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
denizsi said:
I don't understand why people have such a hard time contemplating what turn-based means and why VATS is irrelevant to turn-based.
Because they are all morons. Hundreds of millions of them. Actually, make that billions. We shouldn't discriminate against starving Africans, Indian peasants and Chinese rice farmers just because most of them don't have an Xbox.

spectre

Arcane
Good thing Bethesda prepared them for this whole VATS thing.
Imagine, if they hadn't known before what it is, they'd prolly think they busted their xbawks - dude, what's a happenin, why the shootin stopped allova sudden?

TheWesDude

Arcane
Patron
the stupider you make your games, the wider your audience.

the stupider you make your games, the less innovation you leave yourself open to

the stupider you make your games, the lower the longevity of the game

the stupider you make your games, the lower of the quality of the game you make

the stupider you make your games, the more unskilled labor you can use to make your games

spectre

Arcane
Hm, it all makes sense.

the stupider you make your games, the lower the longevity of the game

Aha, which means you get to make moar stupid games, which means moar workers.. etc.

Though this one I cannot agree:
the stupider you make your games, the less innovation you leave yourself open to

Everyday a new kind of stupid is invented, there's endless room for innovashun there.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
This is the Codex I know - crying about others' opinions because theya rne't the same. Pathetic.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
Volourn said:
This is the Codex I know - crying about others' opinions because theya rne't the same. Pathetic.

No, Volourn. YOU are the Codex.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom