Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

a grain of salt... GI FO3 article leaked.

mister lamat

Scholar
"The article is based on an hour long demo GI was given. I'll list the high points

- Game runs on an evolved version of the Oblivion engine. Third person view has been reworked since the verdict was that the Oblivion version sucked balls.

- Game starts with your birth and your mother's death in a vault hospital. This is essentially the character customization part of the game. Your father hands you up to have your DNA analyzed and you get to pick out all your character traits. Your dad takes off his mask to reveal similar traits to the ones you picked.

- You grow up in the vault and as you grow you get your first book titled "You're Special" which allows you to choose you baseline stats for each of your 7 primary aptitudes. You'll also get your first weapons and wrist computer (menu) as you get older you'll take tests to determine the initial layout of your skills and traits.

- Every aspect of character creation is based on S.P.E.C.I.A.L. system. Of your 14 skills you can tag 3 to grow at a faster rate than the rest as you level up.

- Battle system is called the Vault-tec Assisted Targeting System (V.A.T.S.). The article states. "While you'll certainly be able to tackle enemies in real time using first person shooting, V.A.T.S. lets players pause time and select a target at their leisure". Battle system still uses action points, but once you've used them up you'll still be able to fight targets in real time while they charge back up.

- Game is still violent and gory. One of the featured screens is of a guy's head exploding in super gory detail. Apparently all gory deaths in the game will be in slow motion.

- More than one way to play the game. Go balls out and kill people, or sneak past situations, or perhaps talk your way out of situations.

- Enemies can target you just like you can target them, so you can get injured in very specific points on you body. This is in addition to an all new health/radiation system. This new system has you measuring how radiated certain things (like water) are and how they affect you when you consume them.

- Karma system returns

- XP based system, most XP comes from quests

- Level cap is 20

- 9 - 12 possible endings based on your actions in the game

- No level scaling like oblivion, you walk into a high level area, you die horribly.

- There are NPC's you can hire, but this is not a party based game."

*edited for the quotation marks. i sure as shit didnt' write it.

merry andrew

Erudite
First!

But really:
Battle system is called the Vault-tec Assisted Targeting System (V.A.T.S.). The article states. "While you'll certainly be able to tackle enemies in real time using first person shooting, V.A.T.S. lets players pause time and select a target at their leisure". Battle system still uses action points, but once you've used them up you'll still be able to fight targets in real time while they charge back up.
lol

mister lamat

Scholar
yea... no clue how that's going to play out either. i think you're able to swap between a fpp and real-time as well as a 3rd person rtwp.

fucked if i can tell though. seriously vague.

sah

Liturgist
Oblivion with guns and some turn based aiming. And karma. And SPECIAL. And no level scaling.

Cthulhugoat

Arbiter
Link to the motherfucking source.

They have some really great environment shots, Some screens of the inside of Vault 101, and a really awesome shot of a first person encounter with a super mutant and another where the main character has a weapon called "The Fatman" which is a handheld nuclear catapult.

"really awesome shot of a first person encounter"

WHAT. THE. FUCK. CHUCK?

mister lamat

Scholar
i dunno... sounds like an 'over the shoulder' view with a rtwp system like the ufo series or 7.52 is also available. gonna have to wait for the article to know for sure though. the part about your 'action points running out' is confusing.

surprised they had a working tech demo up and running this far away from the gold date.

*edit: nma is for fags... came via newsfeed for me.

mister lamat said:
- Game runs on an evolved version of the Oblivion engine. Third person view has been reworked since the verdict was that the Oblivion version sucked balls.

Guess that confirms that it is most likely first person. Oh wait.....looking down....it is. Woo fucking hoo!

- Every aspect of character creation is based on S.P.E.C.I.A.L. system. Of your 14 skills you can tag 3 to grow at a faster rate than the rest as you level up.

Only 14 skills? Lame. Go choke yourself Bethesda.

"While you'll certainly be able to tackle enemies in real time using first person shooting, V.A.T.S. lets players pause time and select a target at their leisure". Battle system still uses action points, but once you've used them up you'll still be able to fight targets in real time while they charge back up.

WHAT THE FUCK!? That's the dumbest thing ever. So once I've used all my action points to get free shots I can just twitch like mad and kill even more? Stupid as all hell.

- Game is still violent and gory. One of the featured screens is of a guy's head exploding in super gory detail. Apparently all gory deaths in the game will be in slow motion.

Because obviously the gory deaths were the most important facet of Fallout.

- More than one way to play the game. Go balls out and kill people, or sneak past situations, or perhaps talk your way out of situations.

I'll believe it when I see it. This is Bethesda after all. Remember the Fargoth thing from Morrowind? All of the hype about Oblivion?

- 9 - 12 possible endings based on your actions in the game

Slightly promising.

- No level scaling like oblivion, you walk into a high level area, you die horribly.

Well at least Bethesda isn't that dumb.

merry andrew

Erudite
a first person encounter with a super mutant and another where the main character has a weapon called "The Fatman" which is a handheld nuclear catapult.
I shouldn't read this shit while I'm at work. They're gonna know I'm not doing research because it couldn't be this funny.

Mayday

Augur
This is so stupid that not even Beth could come up with it.
Unless- I don't know- they're still devolving?

Micmu

Magister
Yeah, the combat "system" sounds so genuinely retarded that this is very likely FOR REAL.

Ahahahaha

merry andrew

Erudite
Well, the real-time combat system could employ a pause system to allow you to select a locational target. Action points would just be used to determine how many location-based attacks you could execute in a given period.

mister lamat

Scholar
i make no claims as to it's veracity, just that i saw it.

magazine launches on saturday, so there's probably a box of copies sitting in a back room at your local 7-11 right now. really wanting to know is just a crowbar away.

Joe Krow

Erudite
What are they saying about combat? It sounds like you get action points but once there gone you didn't need them in the first place. I'm confused.

The rest sounds much better then I had expected. Perchance another reason to disagree with you fuck-wits? I hope so.

Zomg

Arbiter
If that's not bullshit, it's in the best case scenario range of possible Bethesda renditions, at least allowing that the dialog and story design are still not defined.

Ratty

Scholar
Information listed here sounds so fucking retarded that it's almost *certainly* authentic.

Holy crap. Betheda's Fallout 3 is going to be a veritable abomination. Frankly, I expected even worse from Bethesda, but seeing most of my worst nightmares in writing is nonetheless depressing, as if it crushes out the last tiny vestige of hope the existence of which I wasn't even aware of.

At long last, Fallout is truly dead. Let this post be my final farewell to the game series which defined my view of computer roleplaying.

:salute:

mister lamat

Scholar
Information listed here sounds so fucking retarded that it's almost *certainly* authentic.

Holy crap. Betheda's Fallout 3 is going to be a veritable abomination. Frankly, I expected even worse from Bethesda, but seeing most of my worst nightmares in writing is nonetheless depressing, as if it crushes out the last tiny vestige of hope the existence of which I wasn't even aware of.

At long last, Fallout is truly dead. Let this post be my final farewell to the game series which defined my view of computer roleplaying.

:salute:

your post reads like a myspace poem.

^ see, one line :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom