Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Abandonware is abandoned!

Monocause

Arcane
Helton said:
No, not really, I don't think so.

Why? I'll still buy the game when it's out, of course, but I suppose that some might be put off. Most people have a consumerist mindstyle and want to have fun as soon as possible, to be able to get something now and consume it now and then divert their attention elsewhere, for more fun. Level of polish isn't exactly an issue for these.

Needless to say, TSLRP and AOD are two different kinds of shoes and they most certainly don't form an equation. AOD team's dedication is commendable, but I wonder if it won't hurt their sales. Just look at today's games, the major dev studios are literally vomiting bugged titles and it works great on the market.

I'm not saying that IT should cater to the casual gamer and drop their principles, but they could do something to please them at least a bit. Like, for example, release more stuff like screenshots or gameplay videos for the fans to masturbate. Stuff easily accessible from the main page. That wouldn't hurt the more hardcore fans too ;)

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Helton said:
Monocause said:
It came to me right now that the whole Team Gizka failure should be carefully scrutinised by a certain indie dev making a game that most Codexers are waiting for.

No, not really, I don't think so.
You have no saying in this, now get back to work.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Monocause said:
...to be able to get something now and consume it now and then divert their attention elsewhere, for more fun. Level of polish isn't exactly an issue for these.
Well, there is a difference between a brand new game and a restoration mod for a 4 year old game.

AOD team's dedication is commendable, but I wonder if it won't hurt their sales. Just look at today's games, the major dev studios are literally vomiting bugged titles and it works great on the market.
Does it?

I'm not saying that IT should cater to the casual gamer and drop their principles, but they could do something to please them at least a bit. Like, for example, release more stuff like screenshots or gameplay videos for the fans to masturbate.
I don't think that anyone can complain about the number of screenshots and screenshot sequences we've posted. I suppose we could have released more videos, but I don't think that anyone would play AoD for the graphics and that's what videos are for. We are planning to release a combat demo (fight different enemies in the arena, loot, sell, buy better equipment, etc) in 3 months or so.

hiver

Vault Dweller said:
AOD team's dedication is commendable, but I wonder if it won't hurt their sales. Just look at today's games, the major dev studios are literally vomiting bugged titles and it works great on the market.
Does it?
Releasing buggy game would be the worst thing Iron towers can do sales and reputation wise.

Vault Dweller said:
I don't think that anyone can complain about the number of screenshots and screenshot sequences we've posted. I suppose we could have released more videos, but I don't think that anyone would play AoD for the graphics and that's what videos are for. We are planning to release a combat demo (fight different enemies in the arena, loot, sell, buy better equipment, etc) in 3 months or so.
http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php?topic=341.0
Complain?

Excellent news about the demo.
That means that the game itself wont take that much longer.:D

oldschool

Scholar
What's with the Gizka hate?

Seems like a bunch of guys trying to mod a game they liked and apparently some of you liked and they ran out of steam. What's the big offense there?

Granted, I haven't been paying attention, because I thought the Kotors were ok as choose your-own-dialogue adventures but really sucked as games.

Am I missing something? It's not like they were going to turn Kotor2 into an actual game or anything. They were just re-adding the cut dialogue and stuff?

Not trolling. Just trying to figure out where the hate is coming from.

Disconnected

Scholar
oldschool said:
Just trying to figure out where the hate is coming from.
I'm pretty sure the answer is:

This is RPGCODEX!!!

- Also, I'm not really seeing much hate. Most replies in this thread seems more like poking fun at The Grand Project That Went With A whimper...

Or just retarded jokes like my seriously many moths post (yes I thought that was funny :oops: ).

oldschool

Scholar
Disconnected said:
oldschool said:
Just trying to figure out where the hate is coming from.
I'm pretty sure the answer is:

This is RPGCODEX!!!

Fair enough.

- Also, I'm not really seeing much hate. Most replies in this thread seems more like poking fun at The Grand Project That Went With A whimper...

Could be I'm misreading then. I just get a sense of hostility towards the Gizka team that seems a bit undue. It's not like they owed anybody anything.

Or just retarded jokes like my seriously many moths post (yes I thought that was funny :oops: ).

That was funny (and retarded), actually. :lol:

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
oldschool said:
I don't hate them, I think they're incompetent. I'm not going to write a rant, explaining why. I can't seem to give that much of a fuck. I found the project hilarious right from the very beginning and I'm going to continue laughing at them until they finally release the OMFG TRUE PATCH.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
oldschool said:

Seems like a bunch of guys trying to mod a game they liked and apparently some of you liked and they ran out of steam. What's the big offense there?

IIRC, what a number of people here were complaining about was that Gizka was taking too long, and that they should just release what they have finished so far, and then possibly someone else could finish up their work. It *appears* that the project is quite dead, and is not really progressing any further. Though I am not on the Gizka team, so I don't really know for sure

I *can* understand why Gizka has not released what they have done so far (someone in the beta team, against Gizkas wishes, posted a copy of an unfinished version). But by continuing to not release anything, then infuriates the people that want them to just release the damn thing, finished or not.

oldschool said:
Am I missing something? It's not like they were going to turn Kotor2 into an actual game or anything. They were just re-adding the cut dialogue and stuff?

It adds an area that was cut from the final game (most of the files were there, they just needed to be finished). Restored dialogues, and a bunch of other things.

denizsi

Arcane
Wasn't the reception on the leak that they did so little on "the project", it had to be a complete joke to begin with? If that's correct, then good riddance. Less pretentious people bossing others around.

I just get a sense of hostility

As if millions of voices cry out in hate and were suddenly happier?

I *can* understand why Gizka has not released what they have done so far (someone in the beta team, against Gizkas wishes, posted a copy of an unfinished version)

All I can understand is that they are such control freak attention whores, they quickly devolved into oversensitive crybabies when the beta was leaked.

But by continuing to not release anything, then infuriates the people that want them to just release the damn thing, finished or not.

I think they are only proving that they such attention-whoring control freak oversensitive crybabies.

oldschool

Scholar
Jaesun said:
IIRC, what a number of people here were complaining about was that Gizka was taking too long, and that they should just release what they have finished so far, and then possibly someone else could finish up their work. It *appears* that the project is quite dead, and is not really progressing any further. Though I am not on the Gizka team, so I don't really know for sure

I *can* understand why Gizka has not released what they have done so far (someone in the beta team, against Gizkas wishes, posted a copy of an unfinished version). But by continuing to not release anything, then infuriates the people that want them to just release the damn thing, finished or not.

Thanks. That adds some perspective. I can see being disappointed if someone really liked the game and thought the mod would make it realize its full potential.

Still hard to understand the sense of entitlement towards somebody else's mod work, but I guess human nature is what it is.

As for the unauthorized release; that would royally piss me off. Maybe even enough to not go any further with it. Maybe just because I modify games quite a bit and understand the effort involved, but something like that would put me in a very petulant and unaccomodating mood.

Disconnected

Scholar
oldschool said:
Could be I'm misreading then. I just get a sense of hostility towards the Gizka team that seems a bit undue. It's not like they owed anybody anything.
Sure, but then.. If you do go hype your 1337 mod on the interwebs, you kind of are promising something. If your project falls apart or fails to meet the heat death deadline for the universe, that's one thing. But if there's widespread interest in your project even after it's reached digital undeath, the least you could do is offer to hand what you have to some more energetic modders. Or simply release what you have & hope someone picks it up.

If you can't or won't deliver, you shouldn't run around hyping your private project in the first place. Otherwise you're a bit like an excited 3rd grader storming into class going "Look everyone, I've got enough CANDY FOR EVERYBODY!!!" Who, when asked for some, sullenly replies: "What? I never said I'd share."

Not implying that's the case here, but it does seem like a couple of people think so.

MetalCraze

Arcane
oldschool said:
The link above to the topic on their forum answers the question. Project had no progress since march 2008 yet they still swear that they are doing something and act like attention whores they are. The guy who has ftp keys wasn't in contact with them for 3 months.

Because they act like retards? The problem is that they aren't trying anymore but don't release anything. They set up a site, many people got interested in it - yet despite project not showing signs of life for 9 months they don't want to let other people even try it - with "fuck you" responses. How should normal people treat attention-whores?

Granted, I haven't been paying attention, because I thought the Kotors were ok as choose your-own-dialogue adventures but really sucked as games.
Well if you would've payed attention you wouldn't be asking such questions right now.

Yes and when the leak happened they started to cry and accuse everyone who tried TSLRP of... PIRACY and stealing from Team-Gizka. WTF the project doesn't legally belong to them at all as everything it contains was already on game dvd.

Hope that clears things out.

oldschool

Scholar
Disconnected said:
Sure, but then.. If you do go hype your 1337 mod on the interwebs, you kind of are promising something. If your project falls apart or fails to meet the heat death deadline for the universe, that's one thing. But if there's widespread interest in your project even after it's reached digital undeath, the least you could do is offer to hand what you have to some more energetic modders. Or simply release what you have & hope someone picks it up.

If you can't or won't deliver, you shouldn't run around hyping your private project in the first place. Otherwise you're a bit like an excited 3rd grader storming into class going "Look everyone, I've got enough CANDY FOR EVERYBODY!!!" Who, when asked for some, sullenly replies: "What? I never said I'd share."

Not implying that's the case here, but it does seem like a couple of people think so.

I guess that pretty well sums it up, then.

Unfulfilled promises + sense of entitlement = dancing on grave

Kind of a sad end, really.

I know from experience how hard it is to admit failure in such a project and let it go. There may be some in TG who still have hope of getting it done.

If it is truly dead then hopefully when the reality of that sets in, they will put it out there and pass the baton. If not, can't say that I would blame them, but it would be a shame to let all that work go to waste.

Disconnected

Scholar
oldschool said:
Kind of a sad end, really.
Hey, it's the Codex. But again, I don't really think one or two posts like that constitutes general hatred, scorn or whatever.

fastpunk

Arbiter
Well, this is a disappointing development, though not unexpected.

Dark Individual said:
I had a perfectly fine experience with the leaked version and I don't give a shit if they release a true one or not. Anyone who is waiting just stop, download the leaked TSLRP and enjoy.

I think that's exactly what I'm going to do. I just waited and waited, I though that just maybe they'll finish it...

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
I can understand what's so retarded about the way Gizka operated, but then projects such as this that descend into attention whoring are a dime a dozen. What I fail to understand is why so many people here seem to be so willing to give them a stage for their precious, precious drama. It's not even the hilarious point and laugh drama of retards like Tessera, which can be seriously funny. People here seemed to be genuinely offended by Gizka, to the extent that the Codex came across as a bunch of dramafags as much as Gizka did.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Still hard to understand the sense of entitlement towards somebody else's mod work, but I guess human nature is what it is.

That's not it. At least not for me (and I assume not for a few others on the codex).
The TG drama came to the codex when TG (or at least the 2-3 that posted here) already was in their defensive mode. So the first impression I got from them was that of self-righteous, attention whoring crybabies with a god complex. What can I say, first impressions stick. Whether it is "fair" or not.

Smarts

Scholar
The actual Team Gizka have barely responded to anything even on their own forums over the past 4 years, let alone here. Calling them crybabies is a bit weird when none of them have said a word. The people who have posted here were just members from their forum and one or two of the beta testers (Pavlos), who aren't part of the actual modding team.

It is also weird to consider TG 'attention whores' when there's no signs of them revelling in that attention. Rather than rolling around in that 'fame', the Team seem almost oblivious of their own community.

It might be worth bearing in mind that the original hype-er, the one who got the project rolling (Aurora?) hasn't been part of the Team for a long long time. What hype has come from the folks who remained has been almost grudging, as if coming from folks who don't really want to do updates and videos but cave in to public pressure every now and then.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom