Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Adventure game on the starship?

el Supremo

Augur
Patron
Can anyone suggest me an adventure game, during which you are on the starship? Once I have asked that question to a friend, an avid gamer, and he borrowed me the Gothic 1. "Not exactly on the starship you know, but I think you'll like it." he said. That's how I started to play RPGs, how I found this place at the end.
But I'd still like to play a adventure game on the starship... Somthing with at least half decent graphics. Anyone?

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Starship Titanic and Mission Critical are both good. There's also RAMA, which is not bad. Iron Helix is an old, possibly Mac-only (if it is should be playable with an emulator). Gateway and Gateway II (Legend text adventures) have sequences on starships. Will try to think of some more...

Do MM1-5 count? technically you are on starships in all of them... most obvious in 3.

el Supremo

Augur
Patron
Thanks. Mission Critical looks fun. While I rather dislike Douglas Adams's sense of humour, I may give Starship Titanic a try one day. By RAMA you mean adaptation of Clarke's novel, do you?

All these games are quite old though. I guess no one is making such a things at this time and age. Thats why I have had trouble to find any.
Once, when I was a kid, I have played a board game "Wreck of the B.S.M. Pandora". It would play great on PC, but appearently only me thinks so...

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Space Wrecked. (kill monsters, find weapons and items, repair ship, go to next one)
Alien Virus
Psionics (very short "dungeon" crawler)

made

Arcane
U liek teh starship? Space Quest has starship. :D
You do lot of stuff on planet too though so I dunno.

el Supremo

Augur
Patron
made said:
U liek teh starship? Space Quest has starship. :D
You do lot of stuff on planet too though so I dunno.
Me liek, sure. Me played Space Quests on Amiga year ago. Me have lieked them though. :M

Apart from those mentioned, The Dig and The Orion Conspiracy are probably close to what you are looking for, although the majority of action does not really take place on spaceships as such (or at least not in the traditional sense). The Dig is the better game, but The Orion Conspiracy is not without interest, either, if only for the VD-esque touch in its dialogues:

Jsup3.jpg

There were also quite a few Star Trek adventure games back in the nineties. I seem to recall at least one of them was supposed to be decent, but I never played any, so I'm not really in a position to recommend.

zeitgeist

Magister
Well, Guilty isn't exactly entirely set on a starship, but there's quite a bit of planet hopping in a starship, so that might count too.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Gordon Freeman said:
Can anyone suggest me an adventure game, during which you are on the starship? Once I have asked that question to a friend, an avid gamer, and he borrowed me the Gothic 1. "Not exactly on the starship you know, but I think you'll like it." he said. That's how I started to play RPGs, how I found this place at the end.
But I'd still like to play a adventure game on the starship... Somthing with at least half decent graphics. Anyone?

The Ur-quan Masters dude!

RAMA is ok (kinda hard to find things and navigate, and just plain hard).

You haven't played star control yet?

There is also this very evil game:
http://www.mobygames.com/game/murders-in-space

Hint for the first play: you can stop the time in the options and still move. This will allow you to control the timeline. The story advances when the hour changes. You want to do everything you can in that hour.

Hint for the inevitable second, third and fourth play:
The intro movie is not a movie, you can take control and get to the station a hour before. Also the game depends heavily on the scanned manual.
I had the game in the amiga and there was a lot of paraphernalia more than the manual. Some fake "astronaut food" and a notebook of the captain and some newspapers. My mom threw it out. And get this: it was needed to advance!

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Who the fuck would (real spoiler now)
put a game password in a barcode of a in-box soup package nowadays? Or have another password colorcoded (!) in a few strands on crochet in the same package? Another one is - ofcourse - the coordinates of a star in that map there - I had to hack the fucking game to find the passwords since the walkthrough is made by guys that didn't finish the game completely too.

The kiddies heads would explode

The game doesn't depend on these to reach the end. It is needed to get the best ending (save everyone) and finding out the secrets of all crewmembers.

hanssolo

Educated
all of these games are set on starships, but are any of them set on the starship?

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I'd like to answer you, but i have no idea what you mean. Are you a star trek fanatic or something?
There is such a series of games. Three that i can recall.
Edit: oh hansolo, right.

Sorry lucasarts is dumb and never used their excellent adventure studio beyond 1998 and never in the "precious" star wars setting.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom