Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition

Discussion in 'Strategy and Simulation' started by Morgoth, Jan 24, 2020.

1. Morgoth Arcane Patron

Morgoth
    https://www.ageofempires.com/games/aoeiiide

Show Spoiler
    https://forums.ageofempires.com/t/upcoming-age-iii-de-beta-sessions-read-all-about-them/67530

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2020
    • incline incline x 5
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    • meh meh x 3
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    Steam page:

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • gimme dem dolla bills gimme dem dolla bills x 2
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Feyd Rautha Cipher Patron

Feyd Rautha
    Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    [​IMG]
    New empire added :incline:

e: How do they balance nations such as Inca against Spain for example? Kind of destroys all suspension of disbelief if Incas are on pair with Spain. Or if all of a sudden you have Incas with guns:decline:

e2: Indian nations should just be cannon fodder that you can fight against for a laugh

e3: Other source of decline:

Politically correct representation of indians.

e4: I never played AoE3 but I'm pretty hyped for this! Will definitely give this new version a spin.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
    • decline x 2
    • STOP! posting x 1
    • /facepalm/ x 1
    • retadred x 1
    • Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. fizzelopeguss Arcane

fizzelopeguss
    Iirc the campaign had you going from colonisation to the industrial era through a familys perspective. That's why there's incas and kwanboons.

^ Top  
  6. Hellraiser Arcane

Hellraiser
    Sweden and Inca are ok additions. Would of course like to see Potatoland, but there's always Cossacks 3 for that.

As for the natives and conquered american civs, they should just embrace implausible alt history that they caught up and modernized without getting subjugated by colonial powers instead of going the bows and arrows vs rifles route.

The first expansion to AoE3 was about natives, and mostly the north american natives at that (only Aztecs are an exception) in some dumb kwan injun tribals fetishism instead of the more prestigious and civilized Mayas or Incas. One of the main problems with that game was its north-america-centrism (although I guess Big Huge Games, not Ensemble, fixed that in the second expansion which focused on Asia). The ages of discovery, colonization, imperialism and industrialization offer so much potential and they went the "hurr durr kwanzania" route for the campaign. Well that and the dumbing down, such as removing the need for peasants to drop off resources at a building. And they added the bulk build of units in groups of up to 5 (if it was parallel queues with some tweaking it would be ok). Also IIRC the defensive structures were hardcapped. I think monitor ships were also hardcapped? Quite a bit of decline there compared to AoM or AoE 2.

Trade route control was interesting and the creep camps copied from warcraft 3 also as far as new things added in AOE3 were concerned. Home city cards are a bit iffy as they involved grinding to unlock them, per nation at that. For the campaign the grind might have been ok, but if you just played skirmish or worse multiplayer (where the home city level was obviously separate from the singleplayer one, so you had to grind again, per nation), it was just fucking dumb.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    There were already Aztecs, Mayans and Incas in AoE2, fighting against Franks and Saracens and Mongols in the dark age lmao (not in the campaigns of course, there it was Aztecs vs Spanish, but in multiplayer you get such matchups). Their tech trees didn't give them any cavalry and gunpowder, but crossbows and swordsmen on par with the other civs. Meh. Who cares.

In AoE3 each civ is more unique, but it's also unbalanced as hell. In fact, it's considered bad form to play Japan in multiplayer due to how OP they are.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    I kinda like AoE3's gameplay but please for the love of God and all that is holy I hope they remove that home city grinding shit for multi.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    ^ Top  
  9. George Duroy Scholar

George Duroy
    I may be the only one who prefer AoE3 than AoE2, Shame on me.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Disgusting! Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. fizzelopeguss Arcane

fizzelopeguss
    The model upgrades are excellent. Very loyal.

Just shows what a fuck up war3 reforged was.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  12. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    Heh:

[​IMG]

More comparisons:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Morpheus Kitami Educated

Morpheus Kitami
    That actually looks really nice. If I didn't already own the complete game that would be really tempting.

^ Top  
  14. Narax Literate

Narax
    I half expected the new civs to center around africa, it would have been an interesting area to explore considering the colonial history there.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Vincente Scholar

Vincente
    They are reworking Sioux and Iroquois so they don't trade gold, but rather fur. They haven't talked about the exact mechanic yet.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. a Goat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

a Goat
    Played Age 3 for like 30 minutes to 2 hours years ago. Is it worth it or should I just ignore it and stick to 2?

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Delterius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    The funky thing about these comparisons is the amount of people who are just remembering AoE3's melted wax 3D graphics. I think that's a testament to the game's art design tbh. The game was really pretty despite the graphical quality.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  18. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Yeah if you told me the new models were the originals I would believe you.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Delterius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    TBH all the campaigns are horrible.

First Campaign: a Scotts Templar - Ottoman Turk - Poirates of the Caribebebe Grand Alliance stops the Illuminati from getting the fountain of youth and it all started because there's a cave in malta with aztec drawings showing you the way to Mexico.

Second Campaign: mercenary man and the iroquois stops the million russian march on the Thirteen Colonies from all the way in Alaska, cross the heartland, the rockies because Illuminati did it.

Third Campaign: railroad worker apparently veteran of the Alamo tries to keep the Illuminati away from all the barrels of magic water the Incans transported from Florida to the lost city of whatever, which they stole and brought to Cuba for some reason.

AoE2 had Joan of Arc be saved in the end. But all of the above is just a big pile of 'why'.

My only hope is that the historical battles scratch the decades old itch I have to play some semi historical shit in AoE3.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Vincente Scholar

Vincente
    You'll play as Francis Drake raiding Spanish ports in one of the missions, or so I've heard.

• incline incline x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Tacgnol Shitlord Patron

Tacgnol
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Uh, I don't remember this. Joan gets captured and burnt in the penultimate mission and the final mission is all her compatriots seeking revenge.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Delterius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    oh

nice

in my defense its been ten thousand years

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. BING XI LAO Age of Wonders fanboy Patron

BING XI LAO
    Well AoE2 already added native american retardation in 2002, except in that game it was worse because they had plate-armoured zweihander infantry, arbalestiers and trebuchets.

If anything it's less obnoxious in the aoe3 era, which added native civs ages ago in the Warchiefs, because a native american that's learned to shoot a rifle and ride a horse actually is a respectable guerilla warrior who existed IRL.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. FreeKaner Prophet of the Dumpsterfire

FreeKaner
    A lot of things were involved in Spanish conquest of Incas, including the shipyards and banks of Genoa, pikes and horses from Castile boldness and bravery of Pizarro and his men, political situation of the newly formed Inca empire, mistakes of the Inca emperor, the two artillery pieces. Firearms, on the other hand, played nearly no role. No role that bows couldn't have anyway. Pizarro had less than 200 men, there was no technological advantage in the world at the time that assisted much with what he did, except breastplates and pikes. Both of which Incas themselves had access to in some capacity.

Presenting such a situation, either of Cortes or Pizarro whose accomplishments are legendary to a simple civilisational or technological disadvantage on part of Incas is not only being completely ignorant and unaware of the actual events themselves but paints a picture of Spanish monarchy deliberately exercising an organisational and technological superiority. Spanish monarchy was hardly aware of these events as they happened in both cases, let alone actually directing them. There is no "Spain" for Incas to be on par with here but a palace coup by a highly determined and successful warband, whose leader ironically also fell victim to another coup.

Casting Aztecs or Incas as cannon fodder would not only be false, as per commented by Spaniards in Americas themselves, but rather than exalting the Spanish triumph rather denigrates it. It's also a misunderstanding of what "Spain" was in 16th century but that's a book worth of misunderstandings that's better not written here.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
    • not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. BING XI LAO Age of Wonders fanboy Patron

BING XI LAO
    Pretty sure Cortez or Pizarro would've been fucked beyond belief if they were riding llamas into battle armoured in cotton breastplates and wielding hunting bows and javelins as their missile weapons. They wouldn't have had much luck getting there in canoes either...

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.