Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic

LlamaGod

Cipher
for the shadow realm just get the Shadow walking spell and use it for your melee units. Upkeeps yadda yadda, if you're good at the game you'll have a ton of mana income to be able to burn by the time you need to attack the shadow realm.

The only way you wouldn't is if you're stupid and loaded a Shadow Realm map and you're playing a non-shadow race.

I usually play the Nomads, with 3 Fire and 3 Life. I get a nice mixture of buffs and heals with damage spells, the 3 most important spell types (atleast I think so).

Also: Mana income upgrades are the most important things, the more spells you can run and use the better chance you have of winning.

Take the advice and practice and it'll all come together eventually. This is probably one of the easiest to learn games i've ever played.

I havent played in a few months, but i'm reinstalling it today since I have my new hugetastic hard drive.

Also mind your race's special abilities, they can be pretty useful. As Nomads, I usually capture a city and then pack it up and move it out of my enemies' influence sphere or just move it to a better location (such as away from a very hostile area). As the Nomads, you can control cities without worry.

My Nomad army is usually my main hero, 2 horse archers and the rest all Cheiftains. I get them to Gold Medal status and give all the Cheiftains blesses. They tear shit up easily.

Deacdo

Liturgist
Simultaneous turns work great in Shadow Magic...as long as you're comfortable assuming you're going to get the last "turn".

Seven

Erudite
kingcomrade said:
Quote:
I hate it when my melee units get sucked forward into battle, but my ranged units are all hung up shooting
Yeah...? Besides not being the entire quote, so what?

What whining? I was just posting my issues with the game and hoping to start a discussion. Go the fuck away. I wasn't complaining that the game was difficult, either, you seem to have a chronic reading comprehension problem.

If you want to talk about ironic, we might discuss how every other post you make is full of whining about me.

No, it's an entire quote directly from you. I know you spam a lot, but you should remember this one, it was reccent--Yeah, so what's the point?

And that's right, you weren't whinning, you were just complaining about the shadow plain like a little girl who's just got her cherry popped.

PS, I don't have to go the fuck anywhere; in fact, I might have have just developed a chronic case of UR DED FAGGOT--keep it up and see what happens.

Seven

Erudite
baby arm said:
"keep it up and see what happens."

Do you have any idea how pathetic that sounds?

Well seeing as how "What happens" is that I follow him around typing "UR DED FAGGOT," I don't think its pathetic at all. On the contrary, I think it's quite funny.

BTW, question my humour again and see what happens.

Jason

chasing a bee
50853895_f48d9e6d88_o.jpg

LlamaGod

Cipher
Seven said:
baby arm said:
"keep it up and see what happens."

Do you have any idea how pathetic that sounds?

Well seeing as how "What happens" is that I follow him around typing "UR DED FAGGOT," I don't think its pathetic at all. On the contrary, I think it's quite funny.

BTW, question my humour again and see what happens.

"what happens" is I ban you for spamming

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
@Seven
I meant that there's more to that quote, not that you took it from someone else. If you need a quick recap, I was saying that the unit AI in Rise of Legends had a problem where the army would get split in half because the archers would be doing nothing or shooting at a useless building while the infantry would get sucked forward by enemy archers. Most RTS games don't have this problem, Starcraft doesn't and its like 7 or 8 years old, simply because of better unit AI.

You'd look pretty silly doing the "ur ded faggit" thing.

@llama
I is one of the easier games out there, but it's still fun to play. I'm sorry if I gave you the impression that I was having trouble with it, I was just posting things I didn't like about the game. I know about the enchantments and such, my problem is that it takes 4-7+ turns to get a good-sized army enchanted.

The only "problem" that I've run into in this game is that I can't spend my mana fast enough no matter my Caster Level research. Perhaps I should build something besides temples.

I was playing the scenario Fire & Ice yesterday, played as Frostlings, of course. The 1.4 patch is pretty cool for a lot of units. Some are still kinda useless, though.

@NL
thanks for the tip about the Elven druids, Entangle rocks.

Spazmo

Erudite
And then "what happens" is you get fired for an unjustified ban and you go and start your own fansite for Titan Quest and you meet this guy who's in prison for using dogs as condoms but he pretends to be a girl on the internet and you fall in love.

LlamaGod

Cipher
Spazmo said:
And then "what happens" is you get fired for an unjustified ban and you go and start your own fansite for Titan Quest and you meet this guy who's in prison for using dogs as condoms but he pretends to be a girl on the internet and you fall in love.

i can kill you

MINIGUNWIELDER

Scholar
LlamaGod said:
Spazmo said:

i can kill you

:lol: I love this site

bryce777

Erudite
It sounds a lot like master of magic, except not as good.

Upkeep should be similar for units because most of the upkeep is keeping them fed etc., but to balance things a powerful unit should be many times more expensive than a week one, and the maintenance costs seem very high compared to the purchase costs.

The other plane thing has been done really well in a few games - master of magic for one, and that one civilizationlike game set on various planets was really good. The only problem with it was the computer was not too good about expanding tot he other planets so eventually you could settle jupiter and then send wave after wave of really powerful jupiter units (far more powerful than earth units)back to earth.

bryce777

Erudite
Seven said:
kingcomrade said:
Quote:
I hate it when my melee units get sucked forward into battle, but my ranged units are all hung up shooting
Yeah...? Besides not being the entire quote, so what?

What whining? I was just posting my issues with the game and hoping to start a discussion. Go the fuck away. I wasn't complaining that the game was difficult, either, you seem to have a chronic reading comprehension problem.

If you want to talk about ironic, we might discuss how every other post you make is full of whining about me.

No, it's an entire quote directly from you. I know you spam a lot, but you should remember this one, it was reccent--Yeah, so what's the point?

And that's right, you weren't whinning, you were just complaining about the shadow plain like a little girl who's just got her cherry popped.

PS, I don't have to go the fuck anywhere; in fact, I might have have just developed a chronic case of UR DED FAGGOT--keep it up and see what happens.

Any review kingcomrade gives of a game could be summarized as "omigod it's hard" or else "I am deeply stupid and completely miss the subtleties of the game I have been playing lately, and therefore think it is stupid."

AZ

Liturgist
I liked how Master of magic drew units. They looked liked small bands of the unit type and there was no health bar, the number of the small units decreased instead. I wonder why AoW don't have this "future".

LlamaGod

Cipher
bryce777 said:
It sounds a lot like master of magic, except not as good.

Upkeep should be similar for units because most of the upkeep is keeping them fed etc., but to balance things a powerful unit should be many times more expensive than a week one, and the maintenance costs seem very high compared to the purchase costs.

The other plane thing has been done really well in a few games - master of magic for one, and that one civilizationlike game set on various planets was really good. The only problem with it was the computer was not too good about expanding tot he other planets so eventually you could settle jupiter and then send wave after wave of really powerful jupiter units (far more powerful than earth units)back to earth.

If you make a blank map with some settler units, it pretty much becomes Master of Magic, just a little less random and a little less 4X elements, but is still pretty similiar.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I dunno, wouldn't a game with the subtitle "Shadow Magic" be expected to feature lots of... hmm, shadow stuff? Maybe inside a shadow plane? Just crazy talk here folks, pay no mind.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Any review kingcomrade gives of a game could be summarized as "omigod it's hard" or else "I am deeply stupid and completely miss the subtleties of the game I have been playing lately, and therefore think it is stupid."
Says you. So far I haven't reviewed any games in this thread, nor have I complained that AoW was hard, nor have I said that I didn't understand any of the major mechanics. You have the same reading problems that Seven does. You just can't get over your own fanboyism for Space Rangers. You keep blathering at me because I didn't like your favorite video game and somehow I'm the immature stupid one.

Kairal

Novice
My problem is the retarded AI. There are just too many broken exploits in the game which the AI never uses. E.g. a small squad of powerful-ish level three units. Then I just spam Holy Judgement (I think that's it) and they all die. Quite easy to butcher armies of 40+ with this. Yeah and the higher level units are far too good

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom