Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

AI War: Fleet Command?

desocupado

Magister
Try playing it co-op, I tried it a couple of times. We never won against the AI because some asshat always conquers random worlds and when I get annoyed I star re-naming every system, thus angering a few players who refuse to say the names aloud.

The mood and atmosphere in the game is also great which is important to me since I always hated that generic excel feeling of games like Space Empires. It has great music which enhances the the feeling of mankind's desperation in it's final fight.

You got me curious, what do you name them?

desocupado

Magister
Also, I need tips on assaulting core/home worlds.

Apparently, I wasn't aware of how the AI works, and alerted the AI to have outrageous numbers or units in a core planet. I'm trying to assault it, but the losses he's taking aren't even close to mine. I think the AI is getting about 1500 ships, with many, many of those being mark 5. I've got 2500 ships, with even distribution of marks, and a few mark5 fighters. I'm also suffering some carrier dropping and what I would wager is border aggression on some planets. It's nothing I can't handle, but it's annoying as fuck.

I have 2 golems, but I don't really want to use them now. AI progress is at 338 If I recall correctly, difficulty 7/7.

Is this still winnable? Here's the save, if any of you want to check it out. http://www.2shared.com/file/9DvTTVZ6/5_online.html

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Will check out the save. Too many variables to give advice before that (what you researched, what they have, what you've captured, etc.).

Why don't you want to use the golems?

Damned Registrations

Took a look at things, the golems you have access to wouldn't help you much anyways (and I didn't realize you hadn't repaired them yet.)

You definitely play much differently than I do, which is sort of a given, since this can be played so many ways.

My suggestions would be as follows: Give up any border planets that aren't forming a highway to the core worlds or defending something important. You have no energy problems at all, so you don't need them for generators, and you don't really need the income either. This way you can focus a lot more turrets on the places you do need to defend. (Namely that factory and your homeworld.)

You should really get a scout on the planets you're trying to invade. Once you blow up the tachyon guardian even a single Mk1 scout can go in just fine. Though I'd honestly recommend researching the Mk 2's (I actually grab Mk3s for the convenience myself) since they're dirt cheap and you get way more of them.

I'd use your available knowledge (one planet isn't finished) to acquire Mk 2 engineers. Use them, along with mobile builders, to establish a beachead where on the planet you want to invade. Keep a half dozen on the safe side of the hole to rebuild more engineers quickly if you need to. For the beachhead, Build a planetary shield first (just to protect the engineers really) and then turrets. Heavy Beam turrets work best for this, I usually research them a lot, though they cost a lot of K. But even with just the Mk1 turrets you got, it's a significant help, and if you throw in a bunch more turrets, you can take a big chunk out of the enemy forces. Bring along your ship cap of mobile repair stations too. They're cheap, no reason not to.

While the enemy is swarming your beachead, have all your bombers fly around the system blowing up guard posts. Even if this invasion fails to control the planet, less guardposts means less reinforcements, so you can overwhelm them next time. It also means less guardians, and Mk V guardians can be a bitch.

Once you grab the planet you seemed to be working on, you'll have a bit more knowledge, I'd use it to get the next mark of heavy beam cannon. That'll more than double the output of those things when you got them all built. Also, Mk2 and above have radar dampening, which helps keep them alive a ton. You can use the Mk 2 heavy beams to take out forts by placing them in the sweet spot between their range and their radar dampening. You can attack the fort from within 30k range, the fort can only attack the cannons from within 12k range. Cannons have 14k range. Winning!

Try playing it co-op, I tried it a couple of times. We never won against the AI because some asshat always conquers random worlds and when I get annoyed I star re-naming every system, thus angering a few players who refuse to say the names aloud.

The mood and atmosphere in the game is also great which is important to me since I always hated that generic excel feeling of games like Space Empires. It has great music which enhances the the feeling of mankind's desperation in it's final fight.

You got me curious, what do you name them?

All kinds of immature things, such as sloppy cunt, syphilis pope, butt auger. I just got so tired of hearing "I'm conquering that". FFS...

desocupado

Magister
Took a look at things, the golems you have access to wouldn't help you much anyways (and I didn't realize you hadn't repaired them yet.)

You definitely play much differently than I do, which is sort of a given, since this can be played so many ways.

My suggestions would be as follows: Give up any border planets that aren't forming a highway to the core worlds or defending something important. You have no energy problems at all, so you don't need them for generators, and you don't really need the income either. This way you can focus a lot more turrets on the places you do need to defend. (Namely that factory and your homeworld.)

You should really get a scout on the planets you're trying to invade. Once you blow up the tachyon guardian even a single Mk1 scout can go in just fine. Though I'd honestly recommend researching the Mk 2's (I actually grab Mk3s for the convenience myself) since they're dirt cheap and you get way more of them.

I'd use your available knowledge (one planet isn't finished) to acquire Mk 2 engineers. Use them, along with mobile builders, to establish a beachead where on the planet you want to invade. Keep a half dozen on the safe side of the hole to rebuild more engineers quickly if you need to. For the beachhead, Build a planetary shield first (just to protect the engineers really) and then turrets. Heavy Beam turrets work best for this, I usually research them a lot, though they cost a lot of K. But even with just the Mk1 turrets you got, it's a significant help, and if you throw in a bunch more turrets, you can take a big chunk out of the enemy forces. Bring along your ship cap of mobile repair stations too. They're cheap, no reason not to.

While the enemy is swarming your beachead, have all your bombers fly around the system blowing up guard posts. Even if this invasion fails to control the planet, less guardposts means less reinforcements, so you can overwhelm them next time. It also means less guardians, and Mk V guardians can be a bitch.

Once you grab the planet you seemed to be working on, you'll have a bit more knowledge, I'd use it to get the next mark of heavy beam cannon. That'll more than double the output of those things when you got them all built. Also, Mk2 and above have radar dampening, which helps keep them alive a ton. You can use the Mk 2 heavy beams to take out forts by placing them in the sweet spot between their range and their radar dampening. You can attack the fort from within 30k range, the fort can only attack the cannons from within 12k range. Cannons have 14k range. Winning!

I wanted to save the golems for the homeworlds, and I didn't want to pay the AI cost now.

I've been trying to keep those planets because I don't need the money now. But when I lose many of my ships, my economy TANKS, and I get very low on money, which makes the ship production slower. But yeah, maybe I don't really need them now. I'll try what you said.

Thanks for the help.

Damned Registrations

Just for future reference, I think one of the strengths of your tech build (focusing on a ton of fleet ships) is that you can deploy your forces via transport ships very easily. Since you can do that, instead of capturing an entire road all the way to enemy homeworlds, or whatever, you can transport 2 or 3 planets into enemy territory and build a base there after you wipe everything out, giving you a lot more reach towards your targets with way less AI progress. By contrast, I focus on a lot of turrets and engineers and other support crap, which means I need a beachhead to capture any decently tough planets, not just the core worlds, since my fleet is relatively small and lacks diversity until I find a bunch of fabricators, and even then it's numbers are pretty low since I only get Mk 3 (and therefore Mk 4) of a few ships.

Re. the golems: The armored golem might be somewhat helpful to you, but you'll need to take out the orbital mass drivers first on any planet you want to use it against. If you do want to use it though, you may as well use it right away. It costs a ton to repair, but it'll help you get to the core worlds more quickly, which will give them less time to make reinforcements. I wouldn't recommend using the regenerator golem at all, unless they buffed it a lot recently or something. Well, maybe it'd work better with a big fleet like yours, I dunno. But I prefer golems that act as additional firepower, rather than additional hull for my fleet.

Hoodoo

Arcane
Whats this game like now? Is it worth going for the sequel over the original +DLC?

flinar

Novice
The AI War: Fleet Command and AI War 2 have the same premise, but play differently. You may as well go with AI War 2 if they are interesting to you.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom