Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Air Combat games with good war campaigns

Trashos

Arcane
So, I am looking to get into (single player) air combat games.

1) The most important thing is that it has a good/immersive war campaign, since that's the mode I 'll end up playing.
What I have in mind is something like Silent Hunter's (the sub sim) campaign, where specific war events are scripted on specific dates, but you are generally free to roam wherever you want.

2) It has to be a decent simulation. Not necessarily "100% realistic, here is how you fly a real plane!", but not a total joke either.

Any era might be interesting, as long as the campaign is well designed. Any suggestions?

Endemic

Arcane
Falcon 4.0 with BMS. You can customize the level of realism if you don't feel like learning how a dozen different radar modes work on the F-16. :P

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
So, I am looking to get into (single player) air combat games.

1) The most important thing is that it has a good/immersive war campaign, since that's the mode I 'll end up playing.
What I have in mind is something like Silent Hunter's (the sub sim) campaign, where specific war events are scripted on specific dates, but you are generally free to roam wherever you want.

2) It has to be a decent simulation. Not necessarily "100% realistic, here is how you fly a real plane!", but not a total joke either.

Any era might be interesting, as long as the campaign is well designed. Any suggestions?
I don't know any specific ones, but DCS has a bunch of campaigns, there might be some good ones among them.

Trashos

Arcane
Endemic, I checked out Falcon BMS briefly, and it looks very interesting. The campaign mode sounds very good. Do you have any experience with the campaign? Is it immersive/interesting?

J_C, OK, I looked briefly into DCS, and it's a bit confusing. It looks like the base game is free and I pay for the campaigns, right? Anyway, it might be interesting, if I happen to find a good single-player campaign.

Endemic

Arcane
Endemic, I checked out Falcon BMS briefly, and it looks very interesting. The campaign mode sounds very good. Do you have any experience with the campaign? Is it immersive/interesting?

The stock game has 3 different campaign scenarios in the Korean peninsula. It's fully dynamic regardless of your presence. You could just sit at base for several in-game days watching the war from intel screens if you wanted to. The attention to detail is impressive. Even items like the warehouse buildings at a logistics depot are accounted for (the only thing not to scale is the internal density of cities\towns\infrastructure, which is understandable for a 1998 game). Missions for your squadron are also generated dynamically, but this can be changed. For example you can have the system generate more ground attack missions around a specific zone of interest (essentially you become the mission planner\strategist as well as pilot). If you want to stay in the air longer, you can request a tanker to refuel you.

Some screenshots:

l6nzzRY.png

JuAzLX8.jpg

H9aZOnS.jpg

ywgff6P.png

wVdXZ8M.png

BPJDcME.png

6pwF640.png

B7g11rp.png

vW4xAwl.png

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
J_C, OK, I looked briefly into DCS, and it's a bit confusing. It looks like the base game is free and I pay for the campaigns, right? Anyway, it might be interesting, if I happen to find a good single-player campaign.
The base game is free, yes. You can buy the Flaming Cliffs 3 add on, which gets you half a dozen planes and several campaigns, that is basically a separate game. And as you said, you can also buy individual campaigns.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom