Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

All X-Com Games $5 (each) on Steam

android

Novice
Has anyone actually bought it? Does it come with the Steam DRM or is it DRM free like the Good Old Games from www.gog.com ?

Wyrmlord

Arcane
But dammit, now you have to PAY for it. It had been abandonware.

I deleted XCOM after downloading it because I couldn't find a manual online. This was before I heard of Replacement Docs. Sucks.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
The battle mode. I had trouble understanding what the icons did. And even with trial and error, I couldn't get anywhere with it.

Geoscape was no problem.

dagorkan

Arbiter
It's pretty simple. I figured out the icons and learned to play it without ever reading a manual when I was twelve years old. Are you saying that a twelve year old is smarter than you?

Lord Chambers

Erudite
I honestly can't think of a single X-COM tactical battle interface button which couldn't easily be tested and undestood through use, save the far left two which move your solider up and down on the z axis (but do nothing when you don't have a flying suit or stand on a lift). So I have to wonder about you.

MisterStone

Arcane
The squad combat part of the game was always top-notch, but the chase-the-alien-around-the-world sequences were kind of annoying. Does 2 have more squad and less other stuff?

Relien

Scholar
MisterStone said:
The squad combat part of the game was always top-notch, but the chase-the-alien-around-the-world sequences were kind of annoying. Does 2 have more squad and less other stuff?
It's almost the original with a different skin, so not too different in this regard. Until you get fast subs they will escape you if they choose to do so. But often they are just scouting (and thus moving slowly) or you can catch them when they land and you are close enough. If I remember correctly it was the same in UFO Defense.

However, some tactical missions maps are much bigger (with more aliens of course) than in the predecessor. That means you'll get more squad combat and more annoying "last alien hunts" at the same time.

dagorkan

Arbiter
The "find the last alien" thing where you get frustrated and lazy and forget to check behind the door of the room you just walked in and lose one of your most experienced soldiers... that's an integral part of the X-Com experience.

Saving the world from aliens isn't supposed to be easy. In fact apart from the first few turns the difficulty actually increases the further you spread out from your landing craft late in the mission. Even though there are fewer aliens you can't cover all your men anymore so the risk increases.

AzraelCC

Scholar
MisterStone said:

I don't think there's not enough 'squad' in X-com. After all, once you get four bases, you'll be fighting tactically almost continuously. The fact that the maps and enemies are randomly generated (the maps more than enemies though), I never had a problem with lack of tactical battles.

The chase-the-alien-around-the-world are weakly implemented, but the breakneck pace of technology research it imposes on the player makes X-com fun and very rewarding. You have to find ways on how to develop technologies in most areas simultaneously in order to succeed, all while managing funds. Even if you have great weapons and armor, if you neglect ship technologies, your excellently equipped soldiers won't matter since you can't catch the alien ships.

Maybe it's just a personal preference, but I like that fact that X-com isn't just squad based combat through and through.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
I can't recall reading the manual but I know I definitely read the other little supplement book that came with TFTD. Even so, I bought it after playing the demo which came from a gaming mag and I'm certain I didn't read the manual for that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom