Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Almost done with Dead Space before I start BioShock..

ortucis

Prophet
I am TRYING to sit through BioShock and Dead Space since I am sick and tired of ignoring sequels for games I just can't stand, but can't play the sequels without knowing the story from the previous games. These two games are the worst of the lot. I have uninstalled these games 5 times at least, when I was half-way through the game. It's Oblivion all over again. :lol:

Dead Space Progress: Chapter 7
I just exited the game (taking a breather) at Chapter 7.. which I was HOPING for to be the last fucking chapter but thanks to the logs I know I have 12 chapters to sit through. :(

Game isn't fun. Enemies are easy to kill and group together like retards in small corridors (in which they are usually trapped). Fights are triggered in most obvious locations (like Doom 3 but unlike D3, not fun) leading me to position explosives (generously shat out by Xenomorphiousbullshit, is my guess) at every 'spawn point" for monsters. I AM PLAYING THIS ON HARDEST DIFFICULTY AND I HAVE DIED ONLY TWICE ALL BECAUSE OF SHITTY CAMERA LEADING ME INTO ELECTRIC/GRAVITY FIELDS.

On the plus side, unlike my previous playHALFthroughs, I have decided to play Dead Space like Action RPGs. Basically, I go back and collect all the loot, I carry what loot I can with gravity beam thingy, I carry and drop items using beam all the way to the stores so I can sell, store and buy more nodes for upgrading my 2 weapons of choice (slicer and Assault, as always, everything else is useless) and my RIG.

Also, boss fights are hilarious. Some of them have me playing Benny hill chase music in my mind as I run around stopping to shoot at them every now and then. In the end, I am still trying to find the "scary" part of this "horror" game, the gaming journalists are talking about (and console players, but my guess is the shitty controls and camera in games like RE is also "scary' for them).

All this because I want to play the sequels. THIS IS FUN!

/rant
:x

Angthoron

Arcane
Here's a something: BioShock 2 sucks. Once you hit the last stages, where you have to protect the girls, you'll have seen BioShock 2.

It's crap, even by mainstream's judgement. The upcoming Infinite might be better, but it looked fairly unrelated to the plot of 2, at least. Just skip 2.

ortucis

Prophet
My policy is this: If it has sequels, I have to play the series.

Unless they have a intro video with a recap showing what happened in the previous game. So far I have seen only Valve do this with HL2 episodes and unfortunately, I had already played HL2 by then (only if I knew that there would be a RECAP VIDEO option). :(

baronjohn

Cipher
Bioshock was all hype and marketing. The difference between the gushing reviews and the actual banal, shit, boring reality of Bioshock was absolutely staggering. It hurts me head just thinking about it.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
ortucis said:

Why play any if the whole series is bad? Bioshock 2 is apparently worse than the first one from what I've been told and I couldn't get past more than three or four hours of the original. Nice art direction, decent story, but the game play is just too damn generic to be enjoyable.

You're better off watching this hour-ish long review/critique of Bioshock than playing the actual game.

ortucis

Prophet
Heh, Dead Space has issues but I find some good qualities here and there. Also, like I mentioned, upgrading items/selling/loot is my addiction and the reason I sat through 6 chapters (again, tbh have played this far before).

I am HOPING that they have improved the camera and other annoyances (like enemies being way too easy, too much triggering in the world) in the sequel. Chances are, I will end up getting the sequel.

As for BioShock... yeaah, haven't re-installed it yet. I just didn't enjoy the story or the setting or the art direction. In the demo, when the city is revealed behind the projector and the dramatic music is playing in the background, I actually kept scanning the whole area trying to see what I was supposed to find so amazing.. unfortunately, it was the city. Not the planktons or fishies or whathever on-screen, but Doom 3 mars level.. only instead of Mars surface it was under water.

I bought BS despite the so-so demo cause a) I am a SWAT4 fan who still playes SW4 MP and couldn't wait to get my hands on developers next work (what is shocking.. actually, it isn't, is that thanks to being a console game, shooting and FOV is completely fucked unlike SW4) and b) Previews/reviews said it was a successor to System Shock 2..

Wow, I actually don't want to install BioShock after this post. Thank you Codex. :lol:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
ortucis said:
Heh, Dead Space has issues but I find some good qualities here and there. Also, like I mentioned, upgrading items/selling/loot is my addiction and the reason I sat through 6 chapters (again, tbh have played this far before).

I understand that -- I'm somewhat of a completionist myself but usually limited to actual ARPGs. If I don't really like a game I won't force myself to like it for some of it's minor rpg-ish elements.

Wow, I actually don't want to install BioShock after this post. Thank you Codex. :lol:

Got it for $5 on Steam a year or so ago. After the initial three or so hours, uninstalled and never had the urge to go back. And this is coming from someone who recently sunk 30+ hours into Burn Zombie Burn. And, yeah, Bioshock was definitely over-hyped/falsely promoted by Ken Levine. Too lazy to find it now but on YouTube there's a video of some beta play/developer walk through where he keeps parroting 'choices and consequences' and applying it to the most trivial things like: Do you hack this console or not? Do you harvest Adam from this girl or not?!?! OMG T3h CHOICES!!!!!!1one

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
ortucis said:

Unless they have a intro video with a recap showing what happened in the previous game. So far I have seen only Valve do this with HL2 episodes and unfortunately, I had already played HL2 by then (only if I knew that there would be a RECAP VIDEO option). :(

Actually while Bioshock 2 is crap, just a rehash of 1 though without the slightest recourse to continuity or logic, it STILL was better than Derp Space 2. Maybe its the fact that at least it's an FPS and not as tedious to slog through, what with the fucking Jew Issac being slow as shit and everything an obvious tight corridor that looks the same?

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I guess some people have to be compulsive-obsessive about certain things. Just pray for Bioshock and Dead Space to not get any more sequels because by the time you're finished with all this shit, your brain will be reduced to a pulp.

Also, if you only want to know what happened in the first game, just go to wikipedia.

Gondolin

Arcane
I really liked the art direction of BioShock, but not even that can save a soulless piece of shit.

After the initial three or so hours, uninstalled and never had the urge to go back.

This. Once the novelty and prettiness of the art wears off, there's simply no reason to keep playing the game.

ortucis

Prophet
Well, the next game takes place.. somewhere in stratosphere I guess. I swear they are just flipping coins to pick the locations.

"Hey guys, next game: City floating on sexy-hot-burning magma or Booby Kotick's ass. *flips coin*"
- True Story

made

Arcane
So you're forcing yourself to play DS (which you hate) so you can play the sequel (which you will hate)? Oh wow.

moraes

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
ortucis said:

Dead Space 2 has this, so you are slogging through the first one for nothing at all.

ortucis

Prophet
moraes said:
ortucis said:

Dead Space 2 has this, so you are slogging through the first one for nothing at all.

:x

Oh well, almost at the end anyway. Enjoyed the loot collection, too bad you don't need more than slicer and assault rifle to deal with every situation (actually, you don't need more than Slicer, but Assault helps when dealing with "spray and pray" situations).

The game actually is getting better as I am nearing the end. Maybe it's the ramped up action instead of it trying to be "scary".

So you're forcing yourself to play DS (which you hate) so you can play the sequel (which you will hate)? Oh wow.
Yes, I am into pain. Besides, playing sequels without getting into the whole game universe (with or without amazing story/characters) just feels wrong.

Divinity: Original Sin
I have the same OCD. But if I finbd the first game is shit, I give up and don't play the second one.

Oh, and if a game is released on PC, but sequels are only console, I don't play them. I eventually played halo, and they released halo 2 on PC. I played half of, but got bored, and I'll never play again. Unless they release 3 on pc, but it's too late by now.

So, I never played nor will ever play fable.

Funny thing is, if a new game is released and get my interest, the first thing I do is play the first game.

I heard about a game called red faction armageddon, and then I tried last week red faction 1. Don't know If I'll stand RF guerrilla or armaggedon, but I enjoyed the first one.

And to try deus ex 3, I'll have to sit through invisible war. And probably replay the first one, but I say this only as an excucuse to replay Deus ex and postpone invisible war.

Fact is I never erase my save games of bad games, so I don't have to replay parts already played.

ortucis

Prophet
Red Faction: Guerrilla is a third person game and open world. GTA without any proper story, but it's still fun and filled with destruction (which will make your PC crawl if you don't have fast processor, forget the game if you have dual cores).

Anyways, bought shiny new armor by selling all medpacks and ammo I have stored (to buy new armor tbh) so that's cool.

Thoughts after my new purchase during play (since the story sure as hell isn't what's on my mind): I think US government in teh future has a bigger problem than alien life taking over random mining ships. I am of course talking about the weapons industry.

Sure they cause wars and cute little mayhem every now and then to sell their WMD's to every country on earth, but apparently in the future, they are working together with the aliens.

- Slicer: Weapon perfect for cutting off limbs.. for mining?

- Assault rifles..? What? Are all security personal supposed to purchase them from their nearest weapon store? Which brings me to..

- Stores: Suspiciously places all over the "target facility" (or should I say, "Target - X") and not selling sodas or candies but cute little WMD's for who exactly? Scientists? Guards who are already armed? (considering the attack and the level of resistance shown so far, I guess they were armed with batons)

Needless to say, arms industry not only finances such mining expeditions which just "accidently" get attacked and invaded by religious nut-jobs who take alien life for gods despite being scientists but they also finance 'rescue parties" who just happen to have only one person capable of survival while others being trained to act surprised/shocked/tired every time they have to ask that trained person to kill the large monster while sitting miles away and talking through cameras.. *phew*..

I am so uninstalling this.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
ortucis said:
Red Faction: Guerrilla is a third person game and open world. GTA without any proper story, but it's still fun and filled with destruction...

Much like Bioshock, that's another one I got for $5 on Steam, played three hours, and couldn't stand anymore. :smug:

If you're looking for an ARPG-esque shooter, give Alpha Protocal a try (although chances are you already have). Or even Borderlands (but that's even lighter on the ARPG elements).

ortucis

Prophet
I loved Alpha Protocol, esp. how reading bio meant actually using that info during dialogue.. unlike you know which game (Mass Effect).

I finished the game three times but that's it. I can't stand the fucking stuttering Obsidian's programming team manages to introduce into every engine/game (New Vegas.. which they fixed with first patch at least, thanks to Bethesda).

I won't have problems with running RF guerrila, but I'll play RF2 first.

I enjoyed RF 1 for what it is/was and the reminiscence of early 2000's FPSs.

anus_pounder

Arcane
RF: is another game I say people should play but not pay for.

Then again, I seem to have OCD regarding torrents, I feel when I'm not downloading something.

Angthoron

Arcane
RFG is quite alright. It has some good moments, but unfortunately the devs messed up the pacing, first and foremost. It's a bit surprising considering Volition's other recent-ish open world game, SR2, is filled with, well, fun. I guess they couldn't figure how to add interesting gameplay missions while keeping the tone serious, so it all ended up rather bland. O well. Destruction is still neat.

ortucis

Prophet
The new RF is looking promising. It's underground and linear. The new weapons I saw in the preview videos look fun, basically:

1) A weapon that tags the enemy/object to another enemy/object, a magnetic effect happens (both objects/things fly towards each other).

2) Singularity like ability to rebuild the destroyed objects. Not only does it look like an exact replica (FX) but the purpose seems to be usually to build destroyed covers. I think Timeshift did this as well, before Singularity (but unlike Singularity you were only limited to rebuilding destroyed covers.. I think).

Angthoron said:
RFG is quite alright. It has some good moments, but unfortunately the devs messed up the pacing, first and foremost. It's a bit surprising considering Volition's other recent-ish open world game, SR2, is filled with, well, fun. I guess they couldn't figure how to add interesting gameplay missions while keeping the tone serious, so it all ended up rather bland. O well. Destruction is still neat.

Oh yes... SR2. Maybe I'll try it someday, but we don't have SR1 on PC.

I'm not against playing, say, neverwinter nights 2 before 1, since 2 is not really a sequel. But in the case of saints row, or dead rising, well... probably i'll never even torrent.

By the way, I aways get myself looking if there's a PC version of every game in a franchise beforehand.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
This talk of playing all the franchise and making sure all games are available on your platform(s) of choice got me thinking. What do you guys do when part of the franchise is a completely different medium?

Take Starcraft. Sure there's the PC RTS games. Then there's the books. If you feel compelled to play the games sequentially just because they're the same franchise (any considerations of the quality of the first game or how much you enjoy it notwithstanding; I'm specifically thinking of what ortucis said, about playing Dead Space 1 even though he didn't enjoy it), would you feel a similar compunction forcing you to read the books? What about franchises like Mass Effect, which spans books, comics, games AND that iphone game?

I have to say I have a bit of this sometimes. I played every M&M and HOMM game in the main series to completion, even though I knew some (such as MM9) would not be good. But I never felt compelled to finish Crusaders (though I did finish Dark Messiah). I've also played both Bioshocks, and will play Infinite, but should Infinite turn out to be shittier than Bioshock 2 I may not finish it. I've also played all 4 TES games and their expansions to completion (ya, I know, Oblivion), as well as both PC spinoffs, but I'd never bother with the mobile phone spinoffs or the Ngage one. And there's no way in hell I'd touch the ME or DA books.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom