Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Almost done with Dead Space before I start BioShock..

ortucis

Prophet
FINALLY!

:M

:love:

@Sceptic
If it's not on the primary gaming platform (for me) and doesn't affect the gameplay itself, I skip it. I don't remember playing SC/Wc game where Blizzard added some obscure book reference that I just HAD to learn more about. Maybe if the books were on Kindle and you unlocked achievements while reading... and those achievements could be used in dialogues in-game (Alpha Protocol)..

I'll stick to what story designers bother telling us in-game.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
ortucis said:
lvl5_01_thumb.jpg

Download at the Store*

*The EA Store -- Level 5 armor DLC: $5.95 :smug:

MapMan

Arcane
Having played both DS 1 and 2 I can tell you that if you'd first play ds2 then ds1 would feel like a cool prequel :P

ortucis

Prophet
DONE. My mini review (with spoiler images)..

First of all, chapter 1-6 suck. In Doom 3 you are introduced to the UAC facility and after one intro level the invasion + action begins with player thrown to the wolves armed with shitty pistol, no upgrades.

Dead Space on the other hand takes 6 long intro chapters of triggered "monster closets" to introduce you to a goddamn ship.. actually, I am pretty sure this ship has a in-built door to different dimension since it is huge, like a city huge. Also, you can not only buy a weapon of your choice, but the default weapon you start with itself can handle all enemies without any upgrades in first 5 chapters.

I understand corridors and control centers, even crew quarters, but the damn thing has lifts taking you to huge halls top to bottom. But hell, it's teh future so who knows? Not like they are explaining how the gravity bit works anyway (considering it took one alien invasion for the system to go haywire, I am surprised everyone survived this long with crazy ass gravity switching tech.

Anyways, action picks up from chapter 7 and it's actually fun. So much "fun" that time flies at warp speed and you end up at chapter 12 without any fanfare (really, screen just fades out and loads you on chapter 12). The last boss fight is a joke. The pic I posted below shows my genius strategy of defeating the boss.. that's right, strafing left/right in that location (I shit you not). Also, you shoot boss'es giant yellow nipples all this time ( :O ) and while you're at it, do note my health bar. I HAD 10 HEALTH PACKS in inventory and I DIDN'T use even a single one at the last level on MEDIUM difficulty.

In the endl, I enjoyed DS (after Chapter 6) and I am definitely going to give the sequel a try, sometime next year maybe. It has great ambience, some really cool level design in later level and the only game after Doom 3 to get the creepy sci-fi setting right (mostly). Some pics to remember the journey:

Fun times. Me playing asteroids.

Your ex keeps contacting you every now and then in last few chapters and it just gets really annoying. In fact, this is how the game ended for me:

"I swear she told me that there would be level-6 armor at the new site.. *sigh*.. ALRIGHT, lets go.."

At the new site, I ditched the ex and started looking for the armor upgrade..

^ Fun times. Me hanging out with ex-buddies.

But my clingy ex-girlfriend kept bugging me to "make her whole again"..

Tired of gf's bitching and NO LVL-6 ARMOR, I step out for a smoke when suddenly..

ONOE THE END BOSS LEGENDS SPEAK OF... tis huge..

I heroically ran made my way to the ship..

"Screw this planet and the marker bullshit, screw this job and screw you all.."
end_06_thumb.jpg

"Hmm, still, forgetting something.."
end_09_thumb.jpg

.. or someone..

OMG SORRY BABE I'LL MAKE YOU WHOLE AGAIN NEXT TIME!!
end_10_thumb.jpg

Will Isaac keep his promise? Well the ex be made whole again? Will PC gamers get a lag-free control scheme and less blurry textures?

Only one way to find the answers..
ds2.jpg

Dead Space 2: Make her whole again..

Wait a min..
Unlocks_thumb.jpg

Le..level 6 armor??? :o

Divinity: Original Sin
Sceptic said:
This talk of playing all the franchise and making sure all games are available on your platform(s) of choice got me thinking. What do you guys do when part of the franchise is a completely different medium?

Take Starcraft. Sure there's the PC RTS games. Then there's the books. If you feel compelled to play the games sequentially just because they're the same franchise (any considerations of the quality of the first game or how much you enjoy it notwithstanding; I'm specifically thinking of what ortucis said, about playing Dead Space 1 even though he didn't enjoy it), would you feel a similar compunction forcing you to read the books? What about franchises like Mass Effect, which spans books, comics, games AND that iphone game?

I have to say I have a bit of this sometimes. I played every M&M and HOMM game in the main series to completion, even though I knew some (such as MM9) would not be good. But I never felt compelled to finish Crusaders (though I did finish Dark Messiah). I've also played both Bioshocks, and will play Infinite, but should Infinite turn out to be shittier than Bioshock 2 I may not finish it. I've also played all 4 TES games and their expansions to completion (ya, I know, Oblivion), as well as both PC spinoffs, but I'd never bother with the mobile phone spinoffs or the Ngage one. And there's no way in hell I'd touch the ME or DA books.

Depends on what's the other medium, and the canonicity inside the series.

For example, I finished tomb raider 1 only, never really played all the others at all. The i played to completion those crystal dynamics new games. In fact, if it's a reboot, I kind of despise it for a while, but one day i may be tempted.

I refused to play prince of persia sands of time because it was kind of a reboot. Now i love sands of time prince games more than the original trilogy, although I like them too. then again, I completed prince of persia cel-shaded from 2008, even though I hated it.

Books, comics I don't really bother. But I would watch the dead space cartoon, the FAKK2 cartoon IF i like the game. I've watched all riddicks movies, but I have yet to play the games. If the games had come first, i would see the movies siince there's canonicity.

Star wars and star trek is another beast though, since the have sub-franshises, so I just pick what i'm interested.

One thing that happens is that I start to play a very new game, and it's a sequel, I eventually try it and if the game is fun and manage to keep me interested, I don't really bother finishing it before playing the prvious entries, though I get the feeling i must then play the whole series and even replay the game i liked.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS I HEAR YOU I JERKED OFF WHEN I WAS A LITTLE KID I HAVE VOWED I WILL JERK OOF EVERYONE ON THE PLANET BEFORE I GET BACK TO MYSELF

BROS I THINK YOUR THERAPY ISSUES AND MENTAL HEALTH NEEDS ARE BEYOND THIS FORUM IFYOU ARE DOING TWO OF THE THREE FOLLOWING THINGS WETTING YOUR BED REGULARLY STARTING FIRES AND OR KILLING ANIMALS PLEASE SEEK HELP THE RPGS ARE NOT THE WORST OF YOUR PROBLEMS

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
You should have played it on hard. I started on medium and stopped out of boredom at the second or third level, then started again on hard. Supplies are scarcer at the start on that difficulty while medium showers you with shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom