Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Alpha Protocol: Well-written?

• Thread starter Fucking Quality Poster
  • Start date
alphaprotocol5.jpg

Its well written alright. For a comic book.

Radisshu said:
Manderley actually attacks you if you don't kill him right away, which feels kind of ridiculous.

Well, it was intended for him to shoot you while you were leaving. A headshot is a kill to JC in any reasonable difficulty, and Manderley was getting chewed out by Simon. He probably felt that Simon expected him to handle the situation. I felt it added to the situation, as both of you knew that Manderley was toast in a straight up fight. It showed the player just how low Manderley would go.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Black Bart Charley said:
Its well written alright. For a comic book.
It'd be well-advised not to diss a medium such as comics when structurally they are so much more superior to film and prose, as Alan Moore would say.

random_encounter

Educated
Flying Spaghetti Monster said:
It's weird. Grigori was probably the only character that seemed... real to me. The rest seemed to be absurd caricatures, which I know kind of fits the bill of the spy movie genre.

One of the reasons why I feel the story and characters don't begin to make up for the abortion that is the rest of the game is that I think they had a chance to write a really good spy story here, but instead made it full of camp.
That's the feeling I had with some of the walking cliches advertised as NPCs. As one example, Omen Deng stepped out from a JRPG and was only a few steps away from being bishi. Come on, Obisidian. What are you aiming for here? Bad spy thrillers or something grounded more in the real-world allusions that the dialogue is scraping for? Or something that was simply regarded acceptable because it's a game? Even though trailers prepared me, I nearly fell out of my seat laughing when G22 showed up with their four-way goggles.

The system of C&C was fun to play through, but a majority of the characters often felt either like capsule stereotypes or embarrassing exaggerations. One scene that felt somewhat 'real' was

...in going after Surkov and then deciding to execute him by giving him up to Brayko. In playing Thorton as a vengeful fucker up to that point, it fit in with what I would expect from someone who wanted a pound of flesh from every port.

No offense, but I got excited there for a second. I thought Edward R. Murrow started posting again. Oh well.

Radisshu

Prophet
Cassidy said:
As a typical example, Madison was a hollow ho thus EXTREME Thorton considered the lives of the larger number of innocents in that museum in Rome who must have more depth because they aren't described by the game more important than her.

Actually, I felt no real trouble abouting forsaking that character when that "choice" appeared in that mission due to how hollow and cardboard cut she ended. Seemed that she was added to the plot just as an excuse for Thorton to bang someone in Rome.

There's some secret backstory stuff you can dig up on her,
but it's more about her relation to another character. It mostly feels like they added her to create a choice for the player by the end of the hub.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
FeelTheRads said:
Lockkaliber said:
Vaarna-chan, correct him.

Correct him how? That there are much better written comic books? R00fles.
Manga? Yes there is much better written manga.
For example this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIF5BLyh ... re=related
http://forum.nihonomaru.com/shounen/117 ... ohiro.html

I also heard nice things about Pandora hearts. Then there is quite nice Nabari no ou. (If you can stomach friendship between two boys. And if you are not offended by killer birds. *1) Berserk, Monster... and others can be mentioned as well.

*1 For example in a scene where a person was shot into the heart by a silver gun, the person grabbed theirs leader and groaned into his face "Inaction of our teacher will kill us all..." Then the person fell down bleeding and messing clothes of theirs leader. The face of theirs leader showed only disgust.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom