Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey - ape evolution game from Assassin's Creed creator Patrice Desilets

Drakron

Arcane
Désilets talked candidly about what he saw as many critics failing to grasp what Ancestors was trying to do

Pretty sure he accused then of not playing the game as well but the thing is from what I seen, the gameplay loop is doing exactly the same things you did the first hour for the next 20 hours, its grindy with not much variation outside the biomes that only have the "challenge" of weather being too hot or too cold.

Its not a game about human evolution because all you do is repeating the same thing over and over until you unlock a neuron that just doesnt really changes much, there been more indepth games about animal behavior such as Wolf and Lion, even as a hominid biological simulator is shallow, there is no social system at all and evolving does shit all besides being a gate to further neuron unlocking.

I will also say this, the reason why this game was Epic Store Exclusive is because they knew very well the state of the game and decided to take the money and release the game not feature complete because they are saying the console version will have "New objectives, New tutorial pop-ups and New RPG, Generation and Evolution menus" that shows the continuation of a tread of fixing the game post-release, as if No Man Sky is the new template.

Also if you are going to do a game about human evolution dont just make it about the early hominids and ignore what made humans, humans ... there is no domestication of animals, no hunter-gather system, no actual social system or anything but "eat this until you dont feel so bad about eating this" and other grindy repetitive tasks that really dont change at all how you interact with the game, all the tools you can make are available at the start ... nothing changes, you can play for a hour and see what the game offers entirely.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Game reviewers tend to be shit at games and them barely playing the things wouldn't surprise me. Game looks like shit no one would care about in a flooded market, so reviewers stumbling on truth wouldn't surprise me either.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom