Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Another shitty stealth game reviewed by Yahtzee

Lurkar

Scholar
It's actually really fucking good. This review hit it pretty accurately.

MetalCraze

Arcane
In fact it's so good that people still make maps and mods for it - 11 years after game's release. And some maps look like art.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Yes get all three. Thief 3 is still very good, despite being a multiplatform game - which hurt it very very much - the incredibly small and claustrophobic maps are its biggest problem compared to sometimes really huge locations of previous games.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Some people hate the steambots in the second (and I seem to remember furries too) but I thought they were better than the maps from the first one loaded with zombies and giant spiders. Both are good though, have not played the consolized third one.

MetalCraze

Arcane
also mods:

tennor.jpg

dump004.jpg

dump001.jpg

dump000.jpg

dump002.jpg

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Thief is just one of those classic games that I always get the urge to replay whenever somebody mentions it. One of the best games ever made, and definitely the best stealth game, beats the shit out of Splinter Cell and Metal Gear.

Goddamn, I miss Looking Glass. :(

BloodyPuppy

Scholar
Fat Dragon said:
Thief is just one of those classic games that I always get the urge to replay whenever somebody mentions it. One of the best games ever made, and definitely the best stealth game, beats the shit out of Splinter Cell and Metal Gear.

Metal Gear is hurt really badly by it's terrible controls, both in terms of movement and shooting. I haven't tried Splinter Cell.

The Feral Kid

Prophet
Since everyone seems to know what a good game the Original Thief was, the only purpose this thread serves is to further re-enforce what an ignorant douche Pastel is.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
BloodyPuppy said:
Fat Dragon said:

Metal Gear is hurt really badly by it's terrible controls, both in terms of movement and shooting. I haven't tried Splinter Cell.
Splinter Cell isn't really a bad game, it's just that its gameplay isn't anywhere near as deep as Thief's. Plus, it's very linear and has a lot of scripted moments, some of which don't even involve using stealth. I remember a part in the first SC where you're forced to fight off a wave of enemies like you would in some action game, it's impossible to sneak passed them. Also, the main character's stealth suit has a ton of bright little lights all over it which is just retarded character design for someone whose supposed to remain undetected.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
I now like the levels with zombies from the first Thief, even though I disliked them at first. It puts a different twist over the "zombie town" theme.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
The game also had an awesome protagonist. Just a cynical, arrogant, deadpan bastard that doesn't seem to really give a shit about anything other than himself. And he stays that way throughout the whole series, none of that "going soft" bullshit a lot of anti heroes go through.

Tigranes

Arcane
Those mods look awesome. I've played Thief2/3 but haven't tried out the mods yet.. looks like I should.

Naked Ninja

Arbiter

Goddamn, I miss Looking Glass.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Looking Glass were probably the most talented action game developers. They've made so many really innovative gems.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Warren Spector was a fine fine developer.

No other developer has such a prolific output of great classics.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Fat Dragon said:

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Pastel

Scholar
BloodyPuppy said:
Which one should I get, the first or second? It sounds like the third isn't worth it.
Personally, I'd reccomend the second. Admittedly, I've only played halfway through the first, but the zombie levels seem uninteresting, and the story is a bit bland. Thief II's storyline is a lot more interesting, with twists and turns and whatnot, the technological enemies are interesting, and the levels seem to be a lot more varied.
They're both excellent games, anyway.

The Feral Kid said:
Since everyone seems to know what a good game the Original Thief was, the only purpose this thread serves is to further re-enforce what an ignorant douche Pastel is.
Another aspie? Okay, I'll kindly explain the joke to you. It is funny because of unmatched expectations. When somebody sees the title, they'll expect something shitty like Metal Gear or whatever, and instead find a link to Thief which is anything but shitty.
K?[/quote]

Longshanks

Augur
BloodyPuppy said:
Which one should I get, the first or second? It sounds like the third isn't worth it.
Definitely get the first two, then if you want more, pick up the third as well, not as good as the originals but still a good game in its own right.

I preferred Thief 2 to the original. Mainly for even larger, better designed levels. Really like that they made such a siginifcant change in enemies from 1 to 2, the mechanical enemies and devices made for quite a different feel. I didn't mind the zombies in 1, the "dinosaurs" on the other hand...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom