Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Another shitty stealth game reviewed by Yahtzee

Antagonist

Liturgist
Fat Dragon said:
Also, the main character's stealth suit has a ton of bright little lights all over it which is just retarded character design for someone whose supposed to remain undetected.

I've always had the slight suspicion that all the lights had been attached to the protagonist so that the player could see him even in completely dark rooms or corners. An admission to gameplay as it is probably not fun to guess where your character is and in which direction he is looking.

fastpunk

Arbiter
Pretty accurate review. I'll always remember The Dark Project first and foremost for its thick-enough-to-cut-with-a-blade atmosphere. A truly immersing experience is what it is.

Zuluf

Scholar
The first two Thief games are amazing in terms of storyline. I'll try not to spoil anything for anyone, but the first one is worth going through until the end so that douchebag companies such as UbiSoft might learn how to make a proper twist at the end. Also, the second one has a top 3-best-video-game-steampunk atmosphere and storyline. The third one is your typical console-ish stealth game, but it really really suffers because of vastly inferior level design.

Yahtzee forgot/is too much of an ignorant consoledumbfuck to say that the first two Thief games probably have the best level design ever made for a game, which is really what sets them apart from the third game. It's worth playing Thief: Deadly Shadows (the third) if you fall in love with the lore and atmosphere, but don't expect as much depth in the dialog or narrative to invest all the high hopes T1 and Metal Age brought.

If you haven't played this game before but are curious to my suggestion would be playing the installments in this order:

1. Thief Gold
2. Thief 2: The Metal Age
3. Thief 2.5 - get it free from here.
4. Some fan-made missions from the same site.
5. Thief 3.
6. Repeat
7. ???
8. PROFIT!!!!!

I also suggest paying special attention to the Mansion level in the first game, which is the closest first-person level to touch art imo.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The thief modders are seriously talented. If you started playing (only the good ones) fan missions right now, 12*7 you would take about a year. That what its like. So i recommend getting thief gold, thief 2 (the modding standard), and go wild here:
http://southquarter.com/files/
Not all missions are there, but the rest are on thief the circle or cheapthiefmissions

Anything by Lady Rowena is good, or Eshaktaar or Christine or Sensut or many others.

Talonfire

Scholar
"Shitty stealth game"? The Thief games are the only stealth games worth playing.

Tagaziel

Scholar
Zuluf said:
Yahtzee forgot/is too much of an ignorant consoledumbfuck to say that the first two Thief games probably have the best level design ever made for a game, which is really what sets them apart from the third game. It's worth playing Thief: Deadly Shadows (the third) if you fall in love with the lore and atmosphere, but don't expect as much depth in the dialog or narrative to invest all the high hopes T1 and Metal Age brought.

He mentioned that.

Mogar

Scholar
Thief, ah yes, brings back memories. I recently played through Thief 3, as a melee only character on hard. No sneaking, just fighting. Yes I know, YOU AREN'T DOING IT RIGHT, but I'd already beaten it with stealth only and wanted to try something different. I got so good at it, weaving in and out of combat, waiting for the right moment to strike, that I could take on three opponents at once with my tinny dagger(in an open field, its suicide trying to go head on), without losing health. It was awesome...

Now, imagine an RPG set in the Thief world. Do you think that would be any good?

Also, I hear they're working on a Thief 4 after they complete the new Dues Ex.

Project: Eternity
Thief 3 had the Shalebridge Cradle and that haunted pirate ship (and many other nice maps), as well as absolutely beautiful and appropriate audio/music. It's a great game. Fuck the haters.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
mmm Dark Messiah of M&M is actually a pretty good engine for thief series. They could put a little magic in, some disarming attack and even sword clash etc. Just to spice up stuff. I love kicking people off ledges for some reason.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Thief 3 is only a bad game when you compare it to Thief 1/2, it's still an excellent game, way better than most of the crap out there.

doctor_kaz

Scholar
If you combined the mapping function of the second Thief with the atmosphere and story of the first Thief you would have one of the greatest games ever made. The third game would have been excellent if it had been PC exclusive. It was really close.

The first Thief suffered badly from not having a mapping function and some levels that were just downright annoying.

Talonfire

Scholar
Freelance Henchman said:
Thief 3 had the Shalebridge Cradle and that haunted pirate ship (and many other nice maps), as well as absolutely beautiful and appropriate audio/music. It's a great game. Fuck the haters.

Thief 3 was a great game I agree, but do you know what would have made it better? If it were a PC exclusive game with missions with the same scope as the first two, rope arrows, and a less retarded Garrett who apparently forgot how to swim since Thief 2.

Project: Eternity
Talonfire said:
Freelance Henchman said:

Thief 3 was a great game I agree, but do you know what would have made it better? If it were a PC exclusive game with missions with the same scope as the first two, rope arrows, and a less retarded Garrett who apparently forgot how to swim since Thief 2.

Yeah, Xbox managed to screw up at least 2 sequels through multi platform development, Deus Ex 2 and Thief 3. It's crystal clear that a PC only game would have been way better in both cases, but I'm guessing without the possibility of Xbox sales they might not have been made at all.

denizsi

Arcane
Basically Thief 4 was going to be a retelling of the original games, except set in modern times. It would have modern versions of the same characters from the old games, who's roles would have been translated to modern day parallels. Some of the old maps were going to make a reappearance as well. To be clear, it was not going to be anything like Splinter Cell or similar games. Garrett wasn't going to be turned into a James Bond type of guy with a bunch of gadgets or anything like that. He would still be the dark, sarcastic loner who uses his own skills and ingenuity to do his thieving, not gadgets. I don't think we were even going to let the player use a gun, just simple tools and weapons. The art direction would have been similar to the steampunk from the previous games, just translated to modern times, with the same crowded and dilapidated city streets and such. I guess the Silent Hill series is the closest reference I can think of for what we had in mind for looks, but it would have been pretty different from that too. We were going to somewhat modify the "rules" of the modern world to make them more conducive to the Thief-type stealth game also, and not necessarily realistic. There wouldn't be light switches that anyone can just turn on to reveal you, the enemies wouldn't all have machineguns, there wouldn't be lasers, etc. Basically we were going for a very similar type of gameplay to the original series, just in a twisted steampunkish modern setting.
It was only in pre-production for about two months before the Ion Storm "end times" began, so the concept never got much more fleshed out than this, but that's basically what it would have been.
It would have used the same engine as T3, but we were hoping it would be optimized a bit more and get some new features.

Ion Storm's closing: divine intervention?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom