Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Any news on gaming companies being hit by market collapse?

A bit random I know, my apologies in advance if this topic is a bit retarded - I'm just curious. With the worst share market crash (in the US) since the Great Depression, has there been any news about the fallout upon gaming companies? I would have thought that EA and some of the other biggies would be in a league where that kind of thing would seriously hurt them. So far Australia is riding ok cause of China supporting our mining boom, but we don't have any big gaming companies anyway- and I think Europe is being hit reasonably hard by the US crash. So anyone know if any gaming companies are scaling down their production, or closing house? Is it going to cause publically-listed publishers to become even more hostile to innovative developers until things pick up? Just wondering if anyone here is in the know (you Obsidian employees that spend all day spamming these forums rather than working on your Aliens RPG - Anthony Davis I'm looking at YOU:) - feel free to enlighten us).

uhjghvt

Scholar
worst stock market crash since the great depression? this isn't even the worst stock market crash this decade

J1M

Arcane
It's unlikely any game companies are going to be affected by mortgage and debt resellers having problems.

Their costs are just labor and they are usually funded by publishers who have lots of money due to consistent growth.

Fez said:
Heresiarch said:
I've heard they blame piracy for the market crash.

Oh, well done. :lol:

Hehe, that got me thinking - in parts of southeast asia real-life piracy is still a big problem. There's been several commercial ships and even the odd tourist liner that have been taken hostage by pirates with ak47s etc. I'd laugh myself to tears if one of those pirate ships ever manages to run into and board a shipment of computer games, which they could then steal and onsell. Piracy AND irony:)

bossjimbob

Liturgist
J1M said:
It's unlikely any game companies are going to be affected by mortgage and debt resellers having problems.

Their costs are just labor and they are usually funded by publishers who have lots of money due to consistent growth.

Pretty much. Some studios have closed as of late, but it's not due to the market but instead from corporate restructuring to compensate for lagging sales on certain products that failed to take off (or weren't made well), or from failing to find a publisher, etc. If anything, I would expect game companies to grow considerably in this market because people will be cutting back on spending disposable income on watching films at the theater, eating out, and drinking at the bar in favor of picking up a 12-pack and playing games at home (alone or with family/friends). I'd call it a hunch, but it pretty much mirrors my spending trends these past few months.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom