Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Any party-based real-time hack&slash game like Hexplore?

TheDeveloperDude

MagicScreen Games
Developer
I have played Hexplore and I am looking for something similar. Thank you!

just

Liturgist
make one you're a dev right?
at least it says so

Martyr

Arcane
can't properly remember the game but Ember might be of interest.
as far as I can remember the combat was hack & slash, but pausable. story was sort of old school Bioware-ish. wasn't too deep or difficult, but it was fun.

TheDeveloperDude

MagicScreen Games
Developer
Just note that Dungeon Siege 2 is the only one worth playing, avoid the rest like the plague.
I tried DS1 in the past. But it was super easy - like playing an interactive screensaver.
Hexplore was challenging. Needed good reflexes.
Nevertheless I am going to give a try for DS1. We'll see.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I reeeally don't think DS1 is worth it. The engine was very impressive at the time the game was out originally, but your screensaver comparisons are apt.

DS2 improves on a lot of things and is actually rather fun for a time, although the campaign is way too long and you're likely to get bored before it ends. Par for the course with the genre.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
I tried DS1 in the past. But it was super easy - like playing an interactive screensaver.
Hexplore was challenging. Needed good reflexes.
You'll probably be disappointed by DS1 then. Interacting screen saver being the idea. It's basically an "inventory and equipment micro-managing game" with the occasional interaction during combat. So you equip your party members as best as you can (and constantly keep upgrading their gear) and watch them beat the shit out of everything in their path. Ralaxing ? YES ! Challenging ? NO !

You really gotta be "in the mood" to enjoy it. :dance:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom