Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anybody playing Panzer General III

spectre

Arcane
I'm talking about Scorched Earth and 3D assault here.

Yeah, the general consensus is that it is inferior to II and PG.
But I like it, nonetheless. Even despite the repetitive maps and fugly 3D.

Maybe it's the added semi-rpg elements, promoting commanders, the more tactical feel.

Now, the real question, does anybody know where to get any kind of resources, modsor whatnot for these two games? I saw some promising stuff over at 5 star general, but msot of the links are long dead.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Most stuff is for II. I played III and had some fun, but the limitations (small maps and less units) bring it down. I wonder what would have become of SSI had they kept it 2D with more detail, instead of 3D with less of everything.

I don't have any resources for PGIII, but this is for PeG-WW2, the free PGII port to the PeG engine: http://www.pegww2.net/Pages/WebpageRMY.htm
But in the long run, PGII is still the best in the series, and you will have the most fun with it.

spectre

Arcane
Yeah, I know II the best, and delivers the most, problem is, all the fun always has to come to an end. And now I look for some ersatz.

Indeed, the PeG converions is brilliant (much better than vanilla PeG which for some reason cannot get into), but I already played it to death and that's why I am asking for any materials for III (-:

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
I think there is no replacement. At least I never found it, and had to bury PG several years ago, the genre disappeared together with SSI.

But I assume you have played Jagged Alliance 2 to death? The appeal is similar, and the music is made by exactly the same guy that made the music for PG. I believe his name was Kevin Manthei.

There is also a modern web version of PG1 that seems to be extremely good: http://www.panzergeneral2.com/pg1.htm

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
GlobalExplorer said:
the genre disappeared together with SSI.
:cry:

As far as "hexagon-based" "non-fantasy" wargames go, Battle Isle 3 was one of my favourites. If you didn't already, you might want to give it a try.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom