Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anyone play WAR?

Inziladun

Magister
So I got WAR a while back, moved to the game with my Guild. But by the time I started playing I was already burnt out on MMOs from Age of Conan so I dropped it before I ever really gave it a chance. My guild was first to raid and then they dropped it like a month later :lol: That was a while ago and now they're off playing some other faggotry.

But it's summer time for me, and I only work weekends, so I'm wondering if the game would be worth messing around in for a bit. Maybe i'll even get my money's worth. Anyone play it recently? And good changes they've done?

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
I played for most of last month but then got bored (and AP came out).

How long did you play it for? There haven't really been many good changes, HOWEVER it is a fun game in its own right if you've never played it before. It's very team-centric, and encourages you to play strategically instead of everyone DPSing or spamming heals like a moron in almost every other MMO PVP.

If it sounds any bit interesting, just download the "Endless Trial," which lets you play until level 10. Let me know what you think of it after playing that for a while, and I could recommend you whether or not to play on.

Inziladun

Magister
Honestly I don't remember. Not much more than a week, I don't know what level I was but it was pretty low. I did beta test though, and the PvP was a lot of fun. I heard it's pretty dead, only a couple servers. Is there still a playerbase?

Also I'm assuming my character prolly got deleted with the servers?

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Nah, it's not dead. The servers all got merged into 4 servers, and they're all decently populated.

I don't think your character would have gotten deleted.

Angthoron

Arcane
Mangoose said:
If it sounds any bit interesting, just download the "Endless Trial," which lets you play until level 10. Let me know what you think of it after playing that for a while, and I could recommend you whether or not to play on.

Thanks! It's that time of the year that I'm bored with the current MMO and looking around for some stupid free fun - might as well check out WAR again. I was awfully bored with it the first time around though - it's rather bland in PvE, and the way the settings worked at the time, to get any halfway decent picture, you had to manually force the drivers to add AA and the likes. It looked worse than lowest-settings WoW without that. Did they change the settings range at all?

Wulfstand

Prophet
While it might have great pvp in it, it's still a boring grind..
Almost nobody does quests, since they barely reword you with a shitty amount of xp and gold or items. Almost everyone is farming keeps (as in they defend it and stay afk as much as possible, leaving the ranged dps classes to do the work, since, after every 20 invading players killed, the keep master rewards you with a decent amount of xp, and rp iirc), and very rarely, doing those qued scripted quests (forgot their names).

Also, from what I've played, there's amost never a balancing factor in rvr, it's almost always either one side having twice or three times the amount of players you have, steamrolling you back to your keep, where more grinding ensues. I think that's what mainly made me quit the game: the fact that rvr was always based on change, as in whether you or the enemy faction had more players or not. Also, there were op classes (those fire wizards, again, forgot their names).

PvE wise, AoC was a waaaaaay better game, at least untill lvl 70, having some of the best leveling content (I especially loved the cimmerian places, they were gorgeous), but from 70-80 it was a constant farm, and the pvp was a fucking ganking joke.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Wulfstand said:
PvE wise, AoC was a waaaaaay better game, at least untill lvl 70, having some of the best leveling content

theygottrolledhard.jpg

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Angthoron said:
Mangoose said:

Thanks! It's that time of the year that I'm bored with the current MMO and looking around for some stupid free fun - might as well check out WAR again. I was awfully bored with it the first time around though - it's rather bland in PvE, and the way the settings worked at the time, to get any halfway decent picture, you had to manually force the drivers to add AA and the likes. It looked worse than lowest-settings WoW without that. Did they change the settings range at all?
Well they didn't make anything look better, but they made more options so that you can make it look worse and thus not not drop to 5 dps in keep fights. :lol:

Yeah, the grind sucks. Just don't play the game like a "typical" MMO. Scenarios are always fun due to the strategy and teamwork required - it's like the RPG version of TF2. And getting steamrolled in ORVR is not always the case - I've been through a few back-and-forth battles last month. It's more a case of leader competence and morale than population, honestly.

Wulfstand

Prophet
Hobo Elf said:
Wulfstand said:
PvE wise, AoC was a waaaaaay better game, at least untill lvl 70, having some of the best leveling content

theygottrolledhard.jpg

I'm dead serious.

Mangoose said:
Yeah, the grind sucks. Just don't play the game like a "typical" MMO. Scenarios are always fun due to the strategy and teamwork required - it's like the RPG version of TF2. And getting steamrolled in ORVR is not always the case - I've been through a few back-and-forth battles last month. It's more a case of leader competence and morale than population, honestly.

That might be the case now, but it sure as hell wasn't that way last summer.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Well it really depends if there's a fun guild that decides to get people organized and fight even when you have a disadvantage.

Also, I never got to T4, so if you're talking about that then I have no comment.

Wulfstand

Prophet
Mangoose said:
Well it really depends if there's a fun guild that decides to get people organized and fight even when you have a disadvantage.

Also, I never got to T4, so if you're talking about that then I have no comment.

Me neither, managed to reach t3 and it was kinda enough for me. Also, the fact that, at that time (dunno if it's the same now), almost all capital city sieges (or however the hell they were called) ended with a crash/disconnect also let me down. Oh and also the fact that one month it was order steamrolling destro, the next two it was the other way around dried the wax on my unsubscribing stamp.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Well in any case, the scenarios are always popping (they do now, if they didn't last year), and I think(?) you just pay the $15 subscription fee and that's all you have to pay to play the game for one month. I think it's worth $15 to play it for a month and then get bored.

I regret resubscribing for a second month, though; I haven't even bothered to load it up.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
The thing about WAR is that it was a much better game during beta. People didn't care about grinding levels, they just wanted to go out and PvP, which was good fun. Outdoor RvR was good fun because it was evolving and changing. Scenarios are just static and always the same and get boring fast.
Anyway, the Outdoor RvR quickly died out once the game hit retail and the game became about grinding levels, and this sucked the fun out of the game. Me, my friend and brother tried the 3 of us to get some RvR going on, and we did succeed a few times too.
Anyway, they started beefing up the RvR rewards, and people started doing it a bit more often, but it was still felt very soulless and hollow much like everything in the game. The game just lacked that something that DAoC had. Probably more of a problem on the players side than on Mythics, I'd say, but WAR did feel like many, many step backs from DAoC in terms of gameplay. I guess things just got fucked up because people only cared about being rewarded, as with the beta people didn't bother with the reward and concentrated on the actual fun of the game, and thus had more fun.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Well one thing is that DAOC had 3 factions, which meant that either everybody had a population disadvantage, or any very overpopulated faction got teamed up against.

The game mechanics themselves are pretty solid, imbalances aside.

My big beef with ORVR is not the rewards, but that it's so "streamlined." The only way to overtake a keep is by going in the main door. What about knocking down a wall, or climbing up the walls via siege ladders and engines? There's no freedom of strategy or tactics. It wasn't that people in beta wanted to play for fun and people in the real game just wanted rewards. What actually happened is that people at first want to play for fun because the game is new, but because of the lack of variety in gameplay, it gets stale and boring easily. And thus it's not longer fun, and the only reasonable goal for playing is for rewards. And the best way to get rewards is to zerg up and pound the keep door, or spam the oil and spells in defense, and hope to sap your opponent zerg's morale.

Scenarios, on the other hand, actually are fun, because of the variety involved. For example Reikland factory has some objectives that give points over time, while others gives you points for cap and nothing more. Mythic also introduced a "Weekend Warfront" thing where they rotate in a different scenario every weekend for everyone to play, so that freshens things up a bit.

ChristofferC

Magister
Hobo Elf said:
The thing about WAR is that it was a much better game during beta. People didn't care about grinding levels, they just wanted to go out and PvP, which was good fun. Outdoor RvR was good fun because it was evolving and changing. Scenarios are just static and always the same and get boring fast.
Anyway, the Outdoor RvR quickly died out once the game hit retail and the game became about grinding levels, and this sucked the fun out of the game. Me, my friend and brother tried the 3 of us to get some RvR going on, and we did succeed a few times too.
Anyway, they started beefing up the RvR rewards, and people started doing it a bit more often, but it was still felt very soulless and hollow much like everything in the game. The game just lacked that something that DAoC had. Probably more of a problem on the players side than on Mythics, I'd say, but WAR did feel like many, many step backs from DAoC in terms of gameplay. I guess things just got fucked up because people only cared about being rewarded, as with the beta people didn't bother with the reward and concentrated on the actual fun of the game, and thus had more fun.
Yeah, the problem with MMORPG games is that most MMORPG gamers don't really play to have fun. They play to get higer levels and cooler lewt than everybody else. The games are fine but are ruined by the players.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
ChristofferC said:
Yeah, the problem with MMORPG games is that most MMORPG gamers don't really play to have fun. They play to get higer levels and cooler lewt than everybody else. The games are fine but are ruined by the players.
Well, really, is there any other way to play a typical, non-sandbox MMORPG? If you're playing a game for fun, you're not going to play more than one month, at least in a single instance. There's simply not enough variety.

In a sandbox MMO of course this is different, a la Eve.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Mangoose said:
ChristofferC said:
Well, really, is there any other way to play a typical, non-sandbox MMORPG? If you're playing a game for fun, you're not going to play more than one month, at least in a single instance. There's simply not enough variety.

Which is why MMOs are best suited as sandboxes and not amusement parks.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Hobo Elf said:
Mangoose said:
ChristofferC said:

Which is why MMOs are best suited as sandboxes and not amusement parks.
Too bad there's nothing good to play right now. For me at least. Eve couldn't capture my attention. Darkfall is too shitty.

Maybe I should hit up that Dawntide beta.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom