Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

AoD animations

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
I dropped a few gifs into the same gallery as the screens we posted last week. Download, take a look, and post some comments.

Link

Link

NeutralMilkHotel

Liturgist
Looks pretty damn good. You're fortunate to have those artists.

edit: And I agree, the walking one is pretty amazing in particular.

Fez

Erudite
I was kind of worried how it might turn out, but that's looking great, VD. The animation looks right and is nice and smooth. I like the details such as the hands sliding on the axe handle.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
What they said. You've got a better walking animation than a lot of commercial games.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Awesome. Your game looks better than Civilization 4. If you add a lightmap the game will look a LOT better, too. Like Fallout.

Fez

Erudite
I'm glad this didn't have to go the way of one of those "does my bum look big in this?" moments.

Lancaster

Novice
Awesome! Honestly I didn't expect anything like that. Can't wait to see more

Human Shield

Augur
Fucking awesome, walking animation is what I always wanted in roguelikes and indie-RPGs. I'll be donating $20.

How many armor types do you have? Using 8-sided sprites?

Vault Dweller

Developer
More thanks, fellas.

Human Shield said:
How many armor types do you have? Using 8-sided sprites?
Currently, 4 armor types plus various civvies for impersonating folks. 8-sided.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
If you really want some criticism, here's a nitpick.

While fighting, people usually move their legs, doing a transfer of weight form back to front to give strenght and speed to their attacks. You know, just like when you throw a baseball.

Whipporowill

Erudite
I found the attack animations to be a bit "chop-chop" (a bit too fast and diabloesque for a TB game, non?) and not lowering the axe or hammer realistically, but maybe that's just me. Walking animation is stellar on the other hand!

Vault Dweller

Developer
Can you be more specific? Can you explain in details and paint me a picture of what's a better fit for a TB game? Just trying to understand.

Sirus

Liturgist
Would be nice to see the character lean forward and put some weight into the attack. Otherwise it looks fine.

EEVIAC

Erudite
I agree with Whip. The attack animations just don't look very aggressive to me. If the weapon was drawn back further over the head and the follow through ended closer to or on the ground it'd look better. Its also a bit fast, there should be a slow back-lift with a fast release.

<edit> On second viewing there is a slow back-lift/fast release but there's not enough wind up. Particularly in the hammer .gif, it looks like he's just nonchalantly bopping someone on the head.

Ivy Mike

Scholar
I agree with Ismaul, Whip and EEVIAC. The avatar should do some transfer of his/her weight during the attack. A good example of this would be when you use the sledge-hammer in Fallout - it looks and feels like a heavy weapon. Other than that, the animations and avatars are very nicely done.

If possible I'd like to see an animated gif where the avatars are walking/attacking where you include the rest of the graphics, such as the tavern.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom