Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

AoD character - light fighter

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Same as before, let me know what you think.
Link

Edit: The sword should be bigger though, but that's easy to fix.

Anyway, the gameplay difference between a heavy fighter and a light fighter is that LF sacrifices defence for mobility (he's harder to hit - bonus to dodge, and he has a minor or no penalty to APs). HF is a walking tank, easy to hit, but his armor can take a lot of punishment absorbing a lot of damage, but he's slower in combat - AP penalty.

I was very fond of that leather jacket in Fallout, and wanted to give players a reason not to go for a heavy armor, promote role-playing and world peace.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Add a couple of lines to the chest and stomach to make it look like he's got some stringy type muscles of sorts I guess is my only suggestion to youz.

Jed

Cipher
I think he looks a little armor-heavy for a light fighter. My *personal* preferrence would be to see more leather and less metal...

But it also looks fine as is.

Whipporowill

Erudite
Best character yet. Kickass - but he doesn't look that "light", but then I guess the class denomination is more based around using lightER weapons and armour(in comparion to Senõr Heavy) than actual LIGHT armour.

NeutralMilkHotel

Liturgist
It may sound like a recording, or a token comment, but it's honest: It looks really good. Tell your dude to keep it up (unless he reads this).

Vault Dweller

Developer
Whipporowill said:
Best character yet. Kickass - but he doesn't look that "light", but then I guess the class denomination is more based around using lightER weapons and armour(in comparion to Senõr Heavy) than actual LIGHT armour.
I didn't want him to fight butt naked, his armor is placed "strategically", and in comparison he's much lighter than the other guy, which is what this story is all about.

Major said:
Add a couple of lines to the chest and stomach to make it look like he's got some stringy type muscles of sorts I guess is my only suggestion to youz.
We would have, but it won't be visible in zoomed out isometric mode.

Jed said:
My *personal* preferrence would be to see more leather and less metal...
We'll consider it, perhaps as a lighter option.

Neutral said:
It looks really good. Tell your dude to keep it up (unless he reads this).
Thanks, I will.

Whipporowill

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
Whipporowill said:
I didn't want him to fight butt naked

Why not? Just call him unarmored fighter and give him a can of baby oil.

Hazelnut

Erudite
Looks very nice VD.

I do think, though, that even a 'light' fighter might actually have something covering his chest though, if only leather... I mean who wants to have a nipple sliced off eh?

RGE

Liturgist
One word comes to mind: wicked! :twisted:

I really like the pieces of metal armour and the helmet combined with the otherwise mostly naked skin. It doesn't only remind me of gladiators, it also reminds me of that old platform game Gods: Into the Wonderful. Yeah, that's what a hero should look like. Unless he's an Elric wannabe like the Witcher. ;)

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
Well, its fine for a game. Following critic comes from my larper/"medieval" fighter alter ego point of view.

If I was in his place and wanted to be light-fighter, I'd go with short-sword + shield. And some leather hand-leg protection. Leather is not that heavy, is more comfortable, sure, it is not as strong as metal, but I preffer it over naked skin of mine. One slash in those naked areas and I am done. No sir, I would try to get as much of my naked body covered as possible but if going light-armour way, then at least with leather. The skirt would just make it more difficult to move instead of pants with adequate lether leggings. Of course, if I cannot afford them, skirt is better... Not sure about shoulder padding and that really heavy looking helmet...I'd go for lighter versions of both those attributes. And, whats the most definite thing - gauntlets/gloves. Arm is one of the easiest targets in a swordfight, it is not reasonable to leave it without any cover. The finger and palm/wrist are the first limbs getting crippled, I can assure you.

So, in overall - should cover those naked parts and, definetly, add gloves. Without gloves there is no point going adventuring, thats simply suicide.

But, thats, of course, is not important for the game. Any represantation of armour would be just fine.

Crichton

Prophet
looks ok, I like the pose. He's a little primative compared to the others though, and it's kind of stupid that he's wearing all that scrap metal, but he hasn't bothered to put anything over his torso where most of his vital organs are. In general when people are trying to cut back on armor, first they put on a helmet, then a breast-plate if they can afford one, from there it doesn't matter too much, good gauntlets are hard too make, so a backpiece would probably be next.

From the looks of the lengths of the swords your people carry, they seem to have steel. This causes a certain amount of trouble with the pseduo-roman armor since people that have steel should know how to make better armor than that.

Sovard

Sovereign of CDS
Looks good, but the helmet kinda doesn't fit. An agile fighter needs a less restrictive helmet to help with situational awareness. Other than that, looks fine.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Crichton said:
He's a little primative compared to the others though, and it's kind of stupid that he's wearing all that scrap metal, but he hasn't bothered to put anything over his torso where most of his vital organs are.
Fits the time period though, doesn't it?

From the looks of the lengths of the swords your people carry, they seem to have steel. This causes a certain amount of trouble with the pseduo-roman armor since people that have steel should know how to make better armor than that.
Well, true, but that's where that whole post-apocalyptic thing kicks in. That particular armor is made out of scrap metal, so anything goes. Some towns can produce decent quality steel, some can't. Some towns are closer to old battlefields aka sources of cool stuff, some aren't. Some towns are sitting next to copper mines, some aren't. That explains the variety in styles and metals.

Crichton

Prophet

I'm afraid not, every roman soldier from equites all the way down to hastati, republican or imperial wore either a breastplate or equivalent torso armor, a helmet and carried a shield. The only people who didn't were even lower than hastati, republican velites or imperial auxillia, and since they couldn't even afford a helmet, they just carried a sheild.

The only people who'd wear shinguards and wrist-bracers and leave their chest bare were trying to impress the ladies in some fixed fight in the arena, not get involved in the real stuff outside the ring.

That said, this is a fantasy game, and your fantasy game at that, make him wear any damn thing that pleases you. If you want him walking around wearing a 4" steel codpiece and nothing else, it's your business, just have fun with it, there's no point in going through all that work to please me, please yourself.

Rulion

Liturgist
Crichton said:

I'm afraid not, every roman soldier from equites all the way down to hastati, republican or imperial wore either a breastplate or equivalent torso armor, a helmet and carried a shield. The only people who didn't were even lower than hastati, republican velites or imperial auxillia, and since they couldn't even afford a helmet, they just carried a sheild.
Are you educating yourself via Rome:Total War? :P

Crichton

Prophet
Are you educating yourself via Rome:Total War?

Look it up. One of the nice things about the romans from a scholarly standpoint is that they left us plenty to read and they were very big on standardization, even the velites had a standardized equipment issue, though it consisted of a few pila, a cheap shield and the best wishes of the republic.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
Looks like shit. I say you scrap the whole thing and go 3d.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Crichton said:

I'm afraid yes. I'm talking about gladiators. When the Romans defeated tribes and nations, they would capture prisoners who brought exotic weapons and armor to the arenas. There were more than 20 types of gladiators defined by their equipment: andebate, myrmillo, provocator, samnite, etc

"The provocator was the only gladiator to have effective protection for the upper body: a rectangular breastplate. The provocator thus lacked what was a badge of honor for other heavily-armed gladiators: a naked torso.

It was in the very nature of the gladiatorial system that fighters were ready to die, and demonstrated that readiness by baring their torsos. If the fighters had been entirely unprotected, the outcome would have been either a brief, unskilled bloodbath or an excessively cautious, boring fighting style. The juxtaposition of armed and unarmed parts of the body controlled the use of weapons and created the conditions for dynamic and skilful swordsmanship"

Spartacus' gladiators (the initial rebellion - 70 people) managed to fight their way out out of the town successfully against the armed guards, etc.

Human Shield

Augur
So do you get reputation and intimidation bonuses with the armor? What other point is there to have a bare torso?

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
You know, that wouldn't be a bad idea for a character to wear a certain type of Armor, he gets a bonus to reputation, be it good or bad, or some sort of respect or fear stat.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom