Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

AoD combat screen

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Human Shield said:
How many AP does it take to open the inventory in battle and can you do unlimited stuff when it is open like in Fallout (exploitable IMO)?
2APs to open, once it's open you can do whatever you want for as long as you want.

I would like to see 2 two-handed weapon sets. I think that is a good amount for being able to carry on your person instead in your backpack. With a smaller AP cost to switch between them because you can holstering and unholstering stuff instead of digging it out of inventory.
We'll play with it.

So you could spend 1 AP and put your sword away and grab a healing potion from your belt and if using the potion takes the rest of your AP you still have a shield out. Or if the enemy is coming at you from a distance you can switch your shield for throwing knifes using the rest of your turn to throw and then on your next turn you can spend all your AP with the sword in your other hand, trying to kill him quickly and risk not having your shield ready.
Imo, it removes some strategical element and importance of each individual weapons. Let's say you are about to start combat. Would you go with a 2h weapon to cut through armor or 1H + shield for extra protection? Or weapons melee/ranged combo for versatility? Or a powerful 2H ranged weapon to snipe them off before they get close to you? Each choice has a strength, each choice has a weaakness.

Adding another easily accessible set make that choice less meaningful, it's like being able to give 2 answers in dialogue: here is my first choice, here is my second choice. Let's see what I get. Doesn't make a lot of sense.

Section8

Cipher
Fair enough call on the extra weapon slots, I like non-diluted consequences.

I've rethought the idea of AP/HP counters under the player model. AP could be shown as a pie chart/clock directly under the player, HP in a full circle outside of that. Would be a bit neater than my previous suggestion.

Human Shield

Augur
Vault Dweller said:
2APs to open, once it's open you can do whatever you want for as long as you want.

Then for 2 AP you can have lots of sets. Can you change armor? Can you use 20 healing items?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Anything you want. There are no healing items though. You heal using your skill and you can't use that in combat.

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
Anything you want. There are no healing items though. You heal using your skill and you can't use that in combat.

Doesn't that make the healing skill indispensable, thus effectively reducing choice in the creation of your character?

The combat circle looks good, but I would vote for a slightly more subtle implemenation.

Spazmo

Erudite
Ostensibly there are healers about that you can pay to take care of you, so skills in gathering money will do as well as straight up heal skill.

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
Spazmo said:
Ostensibly there are healers about that you can pay to take care of you, so skills in gathering money will do as well as straight up heal skill.
Sounds good.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Section8's suggestion for the circle seems nice. Though I'd replace the overcrowded displays with the displays when they are only necessary, ie, when you hover a nearby enemy the circle whould show the weapon range; when you hover any given place on the map while you can still move would display the AP circle; when you hover it the PC it would show the HP circle; when hovering the interface it just shows the standard selection circle etc. 'Course, each would have their own colors to help differentiate them... Green for hit points, red for attack, blue one for movement, and yellow for standard should suffice. In turn the same (ie, different colored circles) could apply to hovering the pointer over enemies (when applicable).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom