Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

AoD music, part 2

Gambler

Augur
Combat track would be okay for a large-scale "epic" combat with thousands of soldiers, but I can't see it as a background music for an RPG combat of any sort. Also, it's generic. I heard something like that at least three times.

Also, I'd cut down on ambient sounds.

The rest is okay in terms of music itself, but it screams MIDI. I'm a dilettante in this kinds of questions, but I would try to change reverberation, do some post-processing (some frequencies are pure noise), find better samples, and, if possible, add at least one live instrument to every track.

Atrokkus

Erudite
Since it's not a generic battle theme (should have stated that in the first post, btw), then it'd better be a unique score for a single *one on one* fight, something like a boss, but not exactly so. Or maybe not a duel per se, but a confrontation with a very important (to protagonist or generally so) character, in order to accentuate the dramatism of the very act, if need be.

Point is, that's not a good music score for a massacre or other larger-scale confrontation with less important charcters, even if the confrontation itself is unique and surely not generic in any way.

he rest is okay in terms of music itself, but it screams MIDI. I'm a dilettante in this kinds of questions, but I would try to change reverberation, do some post-processing (some frequencies are pure noise), find better samples, and, if possible, add at least one live instrument to every track.
Good point.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
Pretty much agree with everyone else. I dig the first two tracks. And I actually like the Combat music but it does seem a bit off for a combat. It's got an epic type feel like your adventurer looks upon Gondor for the first time or something.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Atrokkus said:
Since it's not a generic battle theme (should have stated that in the first post, btw), then it'd better be a unique score for a single *one on one* fight, something like a boss, but not exactly so.
It's definitely not. It's not a unique "kill the Foozle" theme, but something that's used for certain types of battles (like the Imperial Guards battles, for example)

The first is really very good, which is needed for any town. The second really suits a wasteland, I like that one as well. The third seems a little discordant in places, but otherwise it's still good.

Prunesquallor

Novice
As a longtime lurker of this forum, I finally found incentive to post! The battle music is terrific and the "western" style is very fitting. The world music is enjoyable as well.

Town music is good, barring a few jarring exceptions - I find the repeating harp(?) melody in the second part of the song and the guitar in the beginning somewhat annoying.

I guess some of the midi samples sound a bit low budget - changed reverbation and post-processing can't really help this. Why not change some of the blatantly artificial harp and guitar samples to synthesizers. The music is already anachronistic in the post-roman setting.

galsiah

Erudite
I agree with many of the combat music assessments.
I liked the track, but it seemed more of a medieval Eye-Of-The-Tiger piece, than something about conflict. It's up-beat, it's got movement and action, but there's no conflict. It'd be great as build-up, or for a cut-scene, but I don't see how it fits for combat itself. Both the timing and the overall shape scream "journey" (the concept, not the band) at me.

That said, I still like it, so it's not going to bother me if you use it for combat. I just think it'd fit better elsewhere.

Bah

Arcane
Vault Dweller said:
Quick comments: there are no average (i.e. generic) towns in AoD, so the town music is for a very specific place. There are seven combat tracks, so you won't have to listen to the same track every time.

Thank you! This is my biggest gripe about Gothic 3. I can't stand that damn combat song anymore.

hiciacit

Liturgist
Prunesquallor said:
I guess some of the midi samples sound a bit low budget - changed reverbation and post-processing can't really help this. Why not change some of the blatantly artificial harp and guitar samples to synthesizers.

Some decent sounding sound banks/synths would go a long way, but even without those, the music would benefit greatly from programming some dynamics in the score.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
The_Nameless_Prick said:
Get outta here mothafucka, we don't want you here.

Oh yeah, first two tracks are good, VD.

You do your name honour!

And I will say I am quite pleased with the first two tracks. The first reminds me of Realms of Arkania, the second of Fallout, and I can't find anything "bad" or unmusical about them. You have a talented guy there, VD. The third one would work, but as has been stated many times, you will have to limit its use to very specific situations. And it should have a darker note.

Lind Erebros

Novice
Hi to all!
I'm a composer.
I want to thank all of you for criticism, good or bad. Your opinion is very important
both for game and for me personally.

About battle music: submitted track is the most dramatic and atmospheric of all battle
tracks. I have asked V.D. to post this one to know opinion of a public. Initially I
wanted to make battle music as a set of guitar ballads, I think such variant would be
more original in rpg. Unfortunately, it's impossible to please everyone. I had to
choose - to make non-atmospheric percussion themes as in Homm3, which I can not
estimate as interesting pieces of music. Or to make a set of guitar ballads, so gamers
with various musical preferences will be satisfied.
Let me remind you that this track is the most dramatic and epic, and it will play in
special fights, where the the player should feel the importance of situation.

About dark ambient: in every locations will be atmospheric sounds Which will mix up
with music for creation unique atmosphere of a place.

One Wolf

Scholar
hey lind, thanks for allowing us to voice our opinions, its refreshing to actually interact with the crew responsible for various aspects of a game we are looking forward to with great anticipation.

although i am not fond of the combat music, i certainly credit you with great talent. the first two posted on this thread are excellent, and the two rough samples posted awhile back are very very good as well.

you are the right man for the job, i can't wait to hear the finished tracks. some of your music is so good i would listen to it even outside of the game world. and multiple combat tracks, and atmospheric tracks as well, that's just gravy.

welcome to the boards.

jeansberg

Liturgist
Lind Erebros said:
Hi to all!
I'm a composer.
I want to thank all of you for criticism, good or bad. Your opinion is very important
both for game and for me personally.

About battle music: submitted track is the most dramatic and atmospheric of all battle
tracks. I have asked V.D. to post this one to know opinion of a public. Initially I
wanted to make battle music as a set of guitar ballads, I think such variant would be
more original in rpg. Unfortunately, it's impossible to please everyone. I had to
choose - to make non-atmospheric percussion themes as in Homm3, which I can not
estimate as interesting pieces of music. Or to make a set of guitar ballads, so gamers
with various musical preferences will be satisfied.
Let me remind you that this track is the most dramatic and epic, and it will play in
special fights, where the the player should feel the importance of situation.

About dark ambient: in every locations will be atmospheric sounds Which will mix up
with music for creation unique atmosphere of a place.
Hi. What software did you use for the compositions? Have you been involved in any other projects?

Greatatlantic

Erudite
The first two sounded OK, though the very first one didn't really strike me as "town-y". Of course, I'm not hearing it in context, so it still might work great in a town setting.

As for the third piece, I really liked it. Reminded me of Manheimmer Steamroller (thats a compliment). Yeah, its a bit "epic" sounding, but good music is good music.

Edit: One note, the clips as they are don't seem prepared to "loop". Make sure they can for actual gameplay.

Slylandro

Scholar
The first one is good but seems to have kind of a split personality (sorry, I don't really know music lingo). If you gave me snips of the song at the beginning and at the end I wouldn't have guessed they were the same one. The second half has a voice and has a mysterious, darker quality to it than the first half. The 1st half sounds better suited to a town whereas the second part sounds better suited for old ruins.

black francis

Novice
i like the music overall. there are a few things that annoy me however, the first one being the picked electric guitar. for me, it just doesn't fit the setting. the second thing is, as someone already pointed out, the quality of the samples. i think they are fine in the first two pieces (sort of giving them a retro vibe), but the aucostic guitar in the third song is almost horrific. otherwise, it's nicely composed and have lovely melodies and strong atmosphere. good job, overall.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
I agree with the general feeling here. The first track is perfect for an ancient town or ruin. The second sounds very good too, very wasteland. The third one feels kinda epic, but it shouldn´t be overused. Also I think that the trebble should be toned down a little, making a little bass like and darker. Sometimes the pitch is too high. (If what I said doesn´t make many sense, is because I don´t know the correct terms for sound in english :P)

Bradylama

Arcane
The town and world musics are great, but the combat track sounds silly to me. I'm sure it'll fit with all other elements (like the game) combined, but right now it reminds me of Teh Castal Adventare!

denizsi

Arcane
The original Blood Omen had excellent, dark and ambient scores. Would make for a great comparison here.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom